Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 261 of 505
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I wish it was that simple.

The car comparison has been debated on many forums, by many people and I find it irrelevant. A Merc is different in so many ways from cars like Ford & Dodge. Completely different hardware.

Different engine, different gear, different interior,different software, etc.

A Mac on the other hand has similar hardware as every other high quality PC. Same CPU, same GPU, Same MB, same RAM. So we are left with 2 things really: the exterior & the OS + iLife.

As I said I am willing to pay a premium for that (especially for the OS), but there is a limit. How much do I see as an acceptable premium? I say 10% is fair.

I just can't understand why a Mac Pro with a Quad processor should cost 2,499$! You can buy a PC with identical hardware for HALF the price! Xeons these days offer only two benefits: Multiple CPUs on the same MB and ECC RAM... Other than that it is the same freakin CPU as an iCore7. If the Xeon is so expensive, offer an iCore7 Mac Pro.

So again, I am asking what justifies a X2 price?.... \

Second thing is this: not all Mac users can afford themselves the price. As you are well aware of, not all people have the same capabilities when it comes to income.

Regarding security issues on the PC. Well, it is something a user needs to be aware of. The Mac is in a much better place in this regard. My PC is behind a router, with Norton Internet security 2009 and is fully patched. I have very little problems security wise. Just take into account that most of the Mac security comes from the relative small % it has in the market - not from OS X's uber security capabilities. So there is no special effort on the side of Apple worth paying for. It is a side effect, nothing more.

As of BSODs: My Mac gave me a Kernel Panic one time. Windows got stuck several times (not more than 8 times or so) - both are the same age (about 4). Again the Mac is somewhat better, but hey, 8 or so BSODs in 4 years is not something you can't live with.

In summary, Mac is better than PC. OS X is better than windows. Premium price is acceptable - but there is a limit, and Apple's pricing at this stage is waaaaay above it.

Mac PROS are for the PROFESSIONALS whose PROFESSIONS many times require A LOT of precision. Xeons are NOT i7s plus ECC. They have other differences, are made from noble silicon, etc...

The Mac Pro's motherboard is also designed by Apple, even though it is MANUFACTURED by another company.

Then there is also the high level of INTEGRATION of the hardware: it was designed (or chosen, for the parts which Apple doesn't have a hand in) to work in MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY POSSIBLE. It is not just a "high quality PC", it is a higher quality PC than a high quality PC!

So what if YOUR PC only had 8 BSODs (highly unlikely, by the way...)? It doesn't mean everyone has such few BSODs...

Then there is OS X, iLife, Design...

In the end, Macs may be the most expensive of the premium-priced machines, but you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 262 of 505
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wrong enstein

The only reason there is no FireWire is because the machine has better GPU and if they offered FireWire, pros could edit on the MacBook. But apple and their shitty atitude toward the pro make me savior the day jobs is gone. Nothing but a ploy to get another $800 dollars from you.

AND because there wasn't any space left for FireWire...
  • Reply 263 of 505
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The woman in this new ad is not "normal" in this context. How many normal people need to do video editing on a laptop?? And why would a video editor not go directly to the platform they are already using and even consider a Mac if they already use PCs for video editing?

Lots of people do video editing on laptops. Features (independent) have been edited on laptops. You can use powerful pro / semi pro editors on Mac or PC laptops. But that is beside the point. The ad is about perceptions. So yes, she is normal. She is a 'creative' who needs a laptop to do 'creative' work that requires a big screen and a powerful laptop. Contrary to popular belief, the ad says, you can do this more cost effectively on a PC.
  • Reply 264 of 505
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

The were able to fit it on the Mac Mini. In fact, same size as the original, now it has more ports and more stuff inside, and still has firewire. Space is not the issue here. They could have included it.
  • Reply 265 of 505
    rrod182rrod182 Posts: 9member
    she should have bought some boobs with that cash, better deal than the crap PC.
  • Reply 266 of 505
    No. The reason why Blu-ray is still relevant is that, in the US, very fast broadband connections aren't common. If you have a 256kbps DSL link or, worse, you're still using a modem, you won't be watching HD movies. Even with a T1, SD movies are okay if nobody else is using the link, but HD is pretty much impossible.

Also, Blu-ray is important because "when is the last time you backed up your 1TB hard disk to 4.7GB DVD's?"
  • Reply 267 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The HDX 16 ships with the 64 bit version of Windows. It can utilize up to 8Gb.

It's actually a very nice machine. No glossy screen, a number pad on the keyboard, HDMI out, memory card slot. The RAM is a little slower, but it's also a LOT less expensive. If it ran OS X, I'd much rather have the HDX 16 than a Macbook Pro. It's nearly the same on the specs it shares, and has extra features that the Macbook does not, for half the price.

If you are doing video you want glossy. In fact all displays are manufactured glossy. The matte isn't called a finish for nothing, they add an anti-reflective layer that actually distorts the light and color.

I greatly appreciate the dual-graphics adapters in my MBP. Also, when I have a problem I go to the apple store.

Good luck getting competent help at Fry's or even Best Buy for that matter. Both have craptastic customer service and horrible repair and return policies.
  • Reply 268 of 505
    allanyongallanyong Posts: 1member
    I am seriously wondering,

how much does that plastic bag of software worth?
  • Reply 269 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

No. The reason why Blu-ray is still relevant is that, in the US, very fast broadband connections aren't common. If you have a 256kbps DSL link or, worse, you're still using a modem, you won't be watching HD movies. Even with a T1, SD movies are okay if nobody else is using the link, but HD is pretty much impossible.

Also, Blu-ray is important because "when is the last time you backed up your 1TB hard disk to 4.7GB DVD's?"

I'm sorry but there is very little rationale behind spending $34 every time you want to backup your 1TB disk. Just buy another drive and keep differential archives, or mirror your disk even. The use of BD-R for backup is really not the best thing it has going for it. Besides if you want Blu-ray movies buy a player, why the hell would you want to watch a 1080p flick on your 15.4" display. Kinda of a waste.
  • Reply 270 of 505
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrod182 View Post

I'm sorry but there is very little rationale behind spending $34 every time you want to backup your 1TB disk. Just buy another drive and keep differential archives, or mirror your disk even. The use of BD-R for backup is really not the best thing it has going for it. Besides if you want Blu-ray movies buy a player, why the hell would you want to watch a 1080p flick on your 15.4" display. Kinda of a waste.

Physical removable media is going bye-bye, especially in light of many services, apps, features, being consolidated on singular devices, like the iPhone.

Everything is done (and stored) online or on local networks.

In terms of the App Store, AppleTV, (to some degree current products from Western Digital and others), the Macbook Air, the iPhone . . . Apple puts the user ahead of the wave. And the rest of the industry follows suit (that is, follows the innovation leader) at a later date.

It doesn't matter what the average person has NOW. Apple is showing them and us what we'll all be using. I'm not going to invest in dying, bulky, unwieldy technology, which is the insert-a-disc-into-a-player paradigm. All that crap takes up way too much space as well.

I no longer even have DVDs or even a DVD player. I enjoy everything online and stream HD to my LCD TV. And SAVE A TON OF $$$ to boot!
  • Reply 271 of 505
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

she should have bought some boobs with that cash...

Unfortunately, you're not the first to make that sad comment.
  • Reply 272 of 505
    foxyfoxy Posts: 29member
    Quote:

she should have bought some boobs with that cash, better deal than the crap PC.

I'm a PC and I look like a tranny.

Dumb chick makes dumb choice based on advice from dumb guy!

Apple has nothing to worry about.

These points were pretty much already stated, but I'll just restate them anyways to drive home the point:

1. Mac OS X's memory management doesn't suck like Vista.

2. Good luck running Final Cut (Pro) on a PC (you're not going to)

3. Every professional film crew I've seen on behind the scene type stuff or interviews are using Macs, so it doesn't take a professional film editor to know that Macs are the industry standard in that field.

4. APPS APPS APPS. You get iMovie out of the box with a Mac which is above and beyond anything you'll find on a PC out of the box. I tried video editing on a PC and it was just a nightmare. Third party software is hit or miss (mostly miss), and I found Adobe Premiere to be a little rough around the edges, which is unfortunate because that's probably the best video editing software you'll find on a PC.

5. Reliability. I don't even need to explain this.
  • Reply 273 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Apple has a factory over seas make their boards... the same company that makes PC laptop boards (my original MBP had a Foxconn board). The chipsets are the same, the graphics cards are the same (mind you, there are two in this particular model, though any PC maker could do the same thing) processors are the same. Apple uses the same Hard Drives as other folks, the same RAM, the same Realtek compatible audio cards. Its the same... what more do I need to prove? Open up an Apple, and open up a PC, and take a look at the manufacturers of the chips inside. Tons of similarities. The differences are the EFI, and the OS. That's it. They take parts from other vendors and put them in their boxes, just like other computer companies, and its the same components!

Any one else want to back me up here? iStink, usually you have something to say.

in most cases no

apple uses top of the line stuff

wintel on there high end may match apple

but most others use the cheapest of the shelf junk . they are working on razor thin margins

re fubished components abound in wintel machines .

plus mac has machine tooled alum laptops now >>>> how green is that !!!

there are some good non apple machines out there . its just that they cost more than a mac .

dude ever wonder why us fan boys are so ....
  • Reply 274 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

She should use that $2000 to get a breast enlargement - ((zing!!))!!

Was the $2K you spent on Penis enlargement worth it?
  • Reply 275 of 505
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

The only reason there is no FireWire is because the machine has better GPU and if they offered FireWire, pros could edit on the MacBook.

Quote:

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but they'd have to shorten the battery size, though it's already a little smaller than in the previous generation, and then move the HDD over a little to add the ports, but that is not aesthetically pleasing when the panel is removed. If I'm wrong, if Apple makes the battery non-user removable without adding additional ports.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I no longer even have DVDs or even a DVD player.

I was in a strip mall last week with a Blockbuster. I decided to go in for the sake of it. It had been years since I've rented a DVD. It was a bit odd and nostalgic to see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by was the lack of Blu-ray movies to rent. It seems by the time that DVD had players for a couple hundred dollars that that video rental stores had a lot more DVDs on the shelves. Does this mean that Blu-ray isn't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?
  • Reply 276 of 505
    lightstrikerlightstriker Posts: 458member
    why is the Bk Value meal ad on this site?
  • Reply 277 of 505
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

I removed the Einstein comment, was in a bad mood, nothing personal, my apologies.

Really.

With regard to FW, I think they could place it in no problem, its a standard that is needed until USB 3 becomes the norm and you can mount images. Even from a non PRO VIDEO point of view, all macs should be able to mount.

The argument Apple removed it for fear of pro use can be argued all the way back to the X3000 GMA (can't recall name) where benchmarks went from 70% to 171% in OPENGL, on a macbook and keeping in mind you could never play a game on it, it was reported that you could run motion and FCP, so pple release a newer GPU a few weeeks laters that DROPPED the OPENGL score all the way down to 70% again, affecting only the PRO users as it affected knowone else. Think about it. Apple goes after the smallest segment and replaces the GMA with a worse one as 1% of the market was doing FCP on the MAC BOOK, therefore when the new one came out with the NVIDIA on-board, you just KNEW WAY BEFORE HAND, that Apple would somehow screw the PRO user and they did, as you can run these app's but you cannot connect a PRO VIDEO camera to them.

Once again, Apple screws with those who kept them afloat while JOBS feed us LIES on how the G4 was better than Athlon's (at the time), then screws with us once iPhone users become their Bread and Butter. Apple could have released FIREWIRE, don't be fooled, it has nothing to do with space and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PRO APPS and STEALING MARKETSHARE FROM OVERPRICED MACBOOK PROS.
  • Reply 278 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but they'd have to shorten the battery size, though it's already a little smaller than in the previous generation, and then move the HDD over a little to add the ports, but that is not aesthetically pleasing when the panel is removed. If I'm wrong, if Apple makes the battery non-user removable without adding additional ports.

I was in a strip mall last week with a Blockbuster. I decided to go in for the sake of it. It had been years since I've rented a DVD. It was a bit odd and nostalgic to see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by was the lack of Blu-ray movies to rent. It seems by the time that DVD had players for a couple hundred dollars that that video rental stores had a lot more DVDs on the shelves. Does this mean that Blu-ray isn't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?

Well, the jump from videocassettes was huge. The jump from DVD to . . . another DVD technology (which fits more stuff onto a DVD and gives you a nicer picture, though not a hologram or 3D, LOL) is not as great. At all. And it's an expensive proposition. You can rent your Blu ray flicks, if you can actually find the ones you want. Or you can buy them for an arm and a leg. And you can just add them to the ever growing PILE of DVDs you already have. On shiny discs that need to be in cases. LOL. This stuff was cool 4 years ago. But it's laughable now.

Blu ray HD is great. Just not on shiny circular discs that need yet another player in order to view them. Especially when I can fit an assload more data onto a much smaller and resilient SD card or USB key, and just plug it into several kinds of devices already, if I really want movable media, and add to it and erase from it to my heart's content. Any file type, too. You get the idea . . .
  • Reply 279 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but

I was in a strip mall last week with a Blo o see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by 't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?

i will miss fire wire .

i hope they keep it . the data just rockets along .
  • Reply 280 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

why is the Bk Value meal ad on this site?

Because the topic is Windows. It's the same thing.