Jaguar FTP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have tried to connect to a few FTP servers through the "Connect To" option in Finder. writing frp://user [email protected] to mount the ftp server on the desktop.

The problem is that whenever I try to upload anything (click and drag from Finder), I get an error message telling me "Item xyz cannot be moved because the folder "htdocs" can not be modified".

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong ?

BoeManE

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: BoeManE ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yes, this is a *very* well known bug.

If fact, it's this bug (among a few others) that fired up so many arguments that 6C115 "couldn't" be the GM.

A fix is already in the works for 10.2.1.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Use NCFTP under your Terminal. <a href="http://www.ncftp.com"; target="_blank">http://www.ncftp.com</a>;
  • Reply 3 of 9
    never heard of ncftp.

so, what exactly does it better than the standard-cli ftp?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    It can't be that big a problem: all that's happening is that Finder FTP can't work out that you have write permission on the server (though whether this is a cludge to disguise something else going, I couldn't say).

Life without an FTP app would be rather lovely.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:

<strong>never heard of ncftp.

so, what exactly does it better than the standard-cli ftp?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying it is better than any other cli-ftp program but it is super easy to use and bookmark say where you are hosting your site. I find it better than any GUI operated FTP mainly because I find it to be faster.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Yes, this is a *very* well known bug.

If fact, it's this bug (among a few others) that fired up so many arguments that 6C115 "couldn't" be the GM.

A fix is already in the works for 10.2.1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK. So there is a fix in the build seeded to developers about a week ago ?

I would love to be able to FTP through Finder. RBrowser does it in a "finder way", but I would still prefer my FTP server working like an iDisk - mounted on the desktop like any networked harddrive.

Have anyone tried the 10.2.1 seed from apple that can confirm that FTP works ?

BoeMaNE
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yes, FTP was fixed in the 10.2.1 seed.

You asked for it... CONFIRMED!!

Okay? Now does someone have to shove a pie in my face or dump a bucket of slime over my head?

Don't worry, Finder FTP *will* work properly in the near future. I greatly look forward to the day this update is officially released.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Now if only they'd include sftp support. That would make my day.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:

<strong>never heard of ncftp.

so, what exactly does it better than the standard-cli ftp?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Everything!

It has bookmarks/shortcuts, you can download while you browse, because it comes with a daemon that handles downloads in the background. You can time your downloads, queue your downloads etc.

My only problem with ncftp is its lack of ftps support, but what clients do have ftps.... (besides curl and that unusable java client)