Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 341 of 505
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DasJetta View Post

Well the last few times I called them I got someone who speaks english with NO accent. Read this Business week article on the subject. You may get support from another country but it wont be India.... http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3989058.htm

I do know that she had an Indian accent, but perhaps she was an American with an Indian accent.
  • Reply 342 of 505
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has Indian tech support, too, for their Macs. Though I am pretty sure that their iPhone support is in the US. I don't recall needing to call for their other products.

the couple of times I called Apple tech support it was North American - either Canada or US.
  • Reply 343 of 505
    vachivachi Posts: 12member
    I recently saw a interview of BIll Gates on youtube i think it was a BBC interview

Gates said windows has 10 times more software than on any other platform. But when go on to apple.com/downloads i find myself just going through pages of apps looking for ones to try, i like it i keep it i don't i delete it. and i only download the free ones, and still i have enough selection for hours of application fun. Now idk can i do this on my windows machine without restarting it hundreds of times after each install and than i have to remove these apps if i don't like them, its just not the same windows will slow down if i do this monthly ritual on it. And truthfully idk if i will find any apps that i want to use.

Here this film maker is looking to purchase a machine, we are thinking for film editing and production.

Now i do not know about the software on windows that can suffice her needs as a film editor,

but being a observant person I can say this, I have been through the american school system and the Macs where always used for the creative productions such as film and sound and other editing,

same now I am in a engineering school ( NYU Poly) and this school is hardcore windows, but my department is Digital Media and the only machines we have are Macs, all the software we have in the sound studio, to the film editing studio and the other rooms are on macs, our professors sometimes simply say, this application is only on the mac or the versions of it i will demonstrate is on the mac and the windows versions is limited or something like that, and the students without macs are left there bitting their nails,

This ad is truly barking at the wrong tree, if there is one thing that Apple is the standard than film editing is it. and if there is one thing that apple is rich in applications its this. Film editing is a profession you are buying a platform for your tools, the specifications and so on of the machine are only there for the tools to work properly. and if the tools are on a Apple than thats what you buy.

In this case its not about the machine its about the tools and the machines ability to run them.
  • Reply 344 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vachi View Post

I recently saw a interview of BIll Gates on youtube i think it was a BBC interview

Gates said windows has 10 times more software than on any other platform.

I'm sure there is more SW for Windows than any other platform. For starters, they've been using the Windows name for every consumer, server and mobile software since 1995. But the problem is how do you quantify that. You could add up the size of every Windows OS and every Windows app to get a number. Or you could just take differencing code. Or you could add up just the app sizes or the number of apps total. Without any qualifiers it's just an empty statement that can be proven neither true nor false.

Anecdotally speaking, I find that Mac OS X has more built-in apps that I use than that Windows does. They tend to be easier to use due to a better I and more modern code. I also find that I find more quality free apps for Mac OS X, with many from ports from Linux or Unix, than I do for Windows.

Regardless if Windows has more apps, even 100x more by any measure, the issue that a Mac user or potential Mac user has to concern themselves with is, "are the apps that I need available for Mac OS X, offered at a price-point that I find acceptable and of high-enough quality to warrant my use." I find this more so with Mac OS X than with Windows so I don't mind if a Windows geek wins a pointless pissing contest about the number of apps they have available.
  • Reply 345 of 505
    vachivachi Posts: 12member
    Quote:

I don't mind if a Windows geek wins a pointless pissing contest about the number of apps they have available.

i am confused are you saying i am the windows geek, or is gates the windows geek?
  • Reply 346 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vachi View Post

i am confused are you saying i am the windows geek, or is gates the windows geek?

I guess it would be Gates, but I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I made that comment. Certainly not you as you were just relaying what you heard. It was just a general comment about pointless claims.
  • Reply 347 of 505
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

I do know that she had an Indian accent, but perhaps she was an American with an Indian accent.

Apple does use outsourced support, but, I believe it is for their consumer products only, like iPods and Apple TV. Their computer and software support is done in the U.S.
  • Reply 348 of 505
    Good for Sheila, she bought what she needs. Which isn't much! Now if Fry's has a roll of bathroom tissue aka toilet paper she can have it gift wrapped.
  • Reply 349 of 505
    kernkraftkernkraft Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosx View Post

PC owners are too intelligent for this sort of thing.

So now, they are not just 'not cool enough' but too intelligent? How can anybody be too intelligent? Having said that, I'm not a PC and I'm not a Mac. I'm not a computer at all.

You also question:

Quote:

The multi-touch gestures are a gimmick. Why would I use a trackpad over my Logitech MX Revolution mouse? "

I don't know what you are talking about, but it sounds excessively large and hideous-looking.

Quote:

"Matter of opinion. I run Leopard, XP, and Vista. I've run Tiger in the past. Vista is better than all of them, and Windows 7 is even better."

And as you said it, that is the truth. Windows Vista is the best. Have you got it running and downgraded yet?

Quote:

"You don't get blu-ray, HDMI, card readers, fingerprint readers..."

I don't need either. Blu-Ray is just a bag of hurt; I have MiniDisplay Port vs. MiniDV, it does the job pretty well; I have a 5$ card reader that I only used twice and I am sorry, but I have no fingers. I am writing this on my unibody MacBook with voice recognition.

All right, I can reveal... I AM a computer... But I am your father!

Just a final point... horse manure is popular with flies, but that doesn't make it good.
  • Reply 350 of 505
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Interesting how you missed the part of my post where I said I like Vista over Leopard and Tiger.

Perhaps this was overlooked because, unless you've got your retirement invested in M$FT, that's hard to believe. Only a masochist truly likes Windows. And I say that as someone who endures the additional pain of Linux just to avoid paying real money for the utter trash that is Windows. I'm not sure why you mention the 3+ year old Tiger, unless you've never really used Leopard.

Quote:

Oh and about 10x as many people are using Vista as there are Mac users total

Why do you detract from your other arguments by supplementing them with completely ridiculous statements? That's neither true in the U.S.A. nor true world-wide. In the U.S.A., Vista users number a little more than all Mac users combined. The Vista stats get a little murky because of all the people who were coerced to buy Vista and chose to downgrade to XP or upgrade to Linux. You might also note that you can't buy XP anymore at major retailers. That's not because Vista is any good, but because M$FT keeps such tight control over the sales.
  • Reply 351 of 505
    Windows 7. Mac OS X. We're still 3 better.
  • Reply 352 of 505
    b2k1977b2k1977 Posts: 3member
    Who needs imovie? Doesn't vista come with windows movie maker? she can use that. rofl
  • Reply 353 of 505
    garybaugarybau Posts: 9member
    seems if you want industry standard video editing...for the lowest price

get a mac

the guy who made the MS ad has TWO macs on his desk...

twice as good

LOL

http://www.ihaveanidea.org/articles/...tMeO12180B.JPG
  • Reply 354 of 505
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wooliness View Post

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand unless the notebook is running a 64 bit version of windows it can't use more than 2.5 G of that slower 4G. Strangely they don't mention that too often.

Usually between 3.1 to 3.5GB. Much as I've heard.

But I believe most (if not all) notebooks preconfigured with 4GB of RAM or more will come with Vista 64 nowadays.

RAM speed wise, difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is very small for Core 2 Duo and AMD dual and quad cores - even latest Phenom II. Particularly lowest speed DDR3, which Apple is using in their systems (to my knowledge).

Intel i7 architecture seem to be the only one so far that makes sense of utilizing DDR3.
  • Reply 355 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweirich View Post

Seriously, let's not forget this "artist" software? How much more does that add to the price? Oh Really, you're a pc, Oh Really...

Well... if she needs anything stronger than home-use grade software (which I believe iMovie is?), shel'll have to purchase Final Cut, Premiere... whatever... for any of those 2 systems.
  • Reply 356 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Usually between 3.1 to 3.5GB. Much as I've heard.

But I believe most (if not all) notebooks preconfigured with 4GB of RAM or more will come with Vista 64 nowadays.

RAM speed wise, difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is very small for Core 2 Duo and AMD dual and quad cores - even latest Phenom II. Particularly lowest speed DDR3, which Apple is using in their systems (to my knowledge).

Intel i7 architecture seem to be the only one so far that makes sense of utilizing DDR3.

It's about 750MB used by the system but if you have a GPU, say 1024MB, then the memory addressing from that needs to be taken off as well. They might be using 64-bit now, but I know it wasn't too long ago that they were putting 4GB into systems with a 32-bit OS as default.

Power consumption seems to be a better reason for going DDR3 over DDR2. I'll take any savings I can get with my notebook.
  • Reply 357 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rexys Pride View Post

Hardware aside, how much do you think she's going to have to fork out for some software to compare with iMovie?

Pinnacle Studio 12, depending on flavour, should be between $50 (basic version) and $120 (Ultimate version) for retail boxes - if you had any previous Studio, upgrades are cheaper.

You can get more basic, cheaper solutions, as well as more expensive ones. Heck, some DVD burners used to come bundled with Ulead Studio or whatever Cyberlink had in SOHO video editing.

I've never been using iMovies, so no idea how they compare; they are all in the same category, though.
  • Reply 358 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silv3rF0x View Post

Man this makes you want to Slap her into next week when that PC dies.

Well you think Microsoft would have let he walk out the door with a Apple.

So I did a poll I work with tons od PC heads at my work but I asked like 10 people I said to you want is the best computer for Video Editing and Arts.

They all use PC's and every on of them said Mac. Heck one said a G6.

I just had to reg to post about this.

So I asked my grandma and her senior friends what they think of Apple, and some of them said they like red ones, some were more into green ones, but some decided they'd definitely go for oranges.

Which tells nothing. Just like your post.

While PC is missing iMovie, you can still get:

CyberLink PowerDirector

Corel VideoStudio

Adobe Premiere Elements

Sony Vegas Movie Studio

Pinnacle Studio

On higher end, you have:

Adobe Premiere Pro

Avid

Sony Vegas Pro

And that is much I can pull out of my head - though I'm not much into video editing and am not following that market segment much.
  • Reply 359 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhayes117 View Post

Clearly this young lady didn't bother to read the most recent Consumer Reports before she went shopping. CR has a big article on buying a laptop computer. Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pros were #1 in every category and they were the only company that was Red (above average +) in reliablilty in every category.

If this were all legit, I wonder how many $1ks MS would have to give away before they actually found a "hunter" that actually bought a PC...?

Well... if you consider market shares, it seems a lot of people actually end up buying a PC
  • Reply 360 of 505
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member