Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Comments

• Reply 381 of 505
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Would you like me to post screen shots from apple retail back of house computersvthat show all macs running virus software from the retail stores????

How about that win 7!doesn't crash or that thousands if fortune 500 companies in xp are going to upgrade to win 7, or how sp2 fixed all vista problems and that windows 7 will support touch out of the box and that unlike vista, win 7 will be the only os msftbwill reallybhave to deal with. Win 7 is going to be big. Even some mac friends like it and ironically, they say they love the media software for video, blue ray and ease of use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaostheory7 View Post

At the end of the commercial she has a Laptop in the box and a carrier bag. What's in the carrier bag? My guess would be:
    • The Virus Software she needs for the PC

• The £800 video editing software she'll need

• A manual of Windows Error codes

• And a large stick to beat some Sanity back into her

Really folks does Microsoft really expect us to buy the fact that any "Video Artist" would rather be using a PC than a MacBook Pro?

Another example that proves these are (poor) actors and not "real" people!

• Reply 382 of 505
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Avid..? Adobe Premiere/After Effects/..?

Again, out of my ignorance on this matter. Is Final Cut really that much (or at all) better than above mentioned titles? All I know is they all are considered pro solutions.

All mac pros that use video like bravo say if your serious, you use after effects.

Fail.
  • Reply 383 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

And Macs never-ever had problems with freezing graphics, bad soldiering, vertical/horizontal/whatever lines over the screen, cracking cases..?

I really don't get all those theories about Macs general build quality supremacy, when even obviously biased site like AI keeps posting articles about various Mac problems with alarming frequency...

mac has problems also . i never said they did not.

dude

nothing lasts

but my freind there is a world of difference between alot of the junk made out there .

apple has a very high level of production

higher end dells and others also keep a keen eye .

having stated this .

i will say that many >not all< BUT many p/c compaines work on razor thin margins . there is zippo unique amoung the herd so price becomes almost everything .

the worklers they use are treated like farm field pickers .

the internal parts they use are off the shelf and never ever current parts . re furb parts are also widely used accross the board.

its the lowest common denominator

just like vista windows world panders to the lowest common denominator .

many many mac are still in use today .. they tend to last longer

the apple owners also take better care of there machines . i own 5 mac right now down from 9 .

do you own a mac ??
  • Reply 384 of 505
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

First post? You shouldn't have bothered at all.

It is really amazing how much Mac users know about Windows crashing, viruses, printers not printing... they obviously know much more than us poor Windows users, because most things they "know" about Windows, we have never seen or experienced. I'm guessing most of that vast knowledge is coming from "Get a Mac" commercials. Maybe that is reason why Mac is considered strong with education..?

wtf

are you blabbing about

are you a window user ?? then why troll on a mac sight ??

i me brucep have watched all the window shit happen all around me since 1988.

i have worked on 2 window machines and i have see WITH MY very own eyes the bloated world of gates . feel free to address any of my points one by one and i will respond . but please stop the troll shit

dude
  • Reply 385 of 505
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sheila ultimately settles on a version of HP's 16-inch HP HDX 16t, which includes 4GB of slower DDR2 memory, a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB of video memory, and a display with a maximum resolution of 1366x768, compared to the MacBook Pro's 1440x900 max resolution.

That's absolutely normal for a person, who looks for laptop to do filmmaking and cutting video (oh, yeah, splitting video by scratching touchpad and peering at the screen of 17" as best). And for a person who can tell fast modern processors from slow ones.

• Reply 386 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wooliness View Post

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand unless the notebook is running a 64 bit version of windows it can't use more than 2.5 G of that slower 4G. Strangely they don't mention that too often.

3.5 GB is the limit, although less is more often the case.
  • Reply 387 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?

Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

Never mind that to be quite frank, you don't need as much RAM under OS X as you do under Vista!!!
  • Reply 388 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Have you seen a I'm a mac and I'm a pc commercial lately? I'm pretty sure Apple's doing a great job selling bullshit also.

Nothing like this.

Apple deals in a little hyperbole, Microsoft is all bullshit here
  • Reply 389 of 505
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

I would hope most "average" users that plan on spending $2000 on a computer would understand the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and that you need a 64 bit processor to use 4GB of RAM.

I can't think of too many people that would plunk down $2000 and NOT know what they're getting.

Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. The emphasis is on needing the 64-bit version of Windows over the 32-bit and unlike the beliefs of some on these forums, it is in fact quite common for a machine with 4GB of RAM to be shipped using only a 32-bit version of Windows. (Thus .5GB is not used; leaving the user with 3.5GB that is used by a RAM hungry/inefficient Vista - this is of course assuming the address space isn't used up and the user isn't left with 3GB, or even less)

It isn't just the RAM either, while the HDX 16t does use a 1066FSB, a lot of the others out there don't - in fact, the vast majority don't. They're on slower 800FSBs or less.

*ALL* new MacBooks use 1066FSB or higher, even the white MacBook. Although there is one weakness, the white MacBook still uses DDR2-667 RAM, but *ALL* others use DDR3-1066.

Since we're talking about the "average user", where's mention of iWork and Office? Let's face it - I'm a fan of Office over iWork (blasphemy, I know), but...

The average user doesn't need all of those extras, iWork can use and create Word, Excel and Powerpoint files quite effectively and do all the average user ever needs to do. iWork is an extra $40 with purchase of a new Mac ($79 retail), Office 2007 Home and Student (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) is $149 retail, $119 last I saw added with an HP. No one includes it free. Where's that in these comparisons?

* Side note: Microsoft's "Home and Student" edition of Office 2008 (Mac) has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage. Microsoft's "Home and Student" edition of Office 2007 (Windows) has Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Anyone find it funny that you get "more" with the Mac version?
  • Reply 390 of 505
    dasjettadasjetta Posts: 33member
    Check out this totally gay commercial for M$ Songsmith. If I'm not mistaken M$ even used a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp to make the commercial, ROTFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E
  • Reply 391 of 505
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DasJetta View Post

Check out this totally gay commercial for M$ Songsmith. If I'm not mistaken M$ even used a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp to make the commercial, ROTFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

That ruined my Sunday. I really hate you now!

That is a MBP, but from MS' standpoint they get a lot more money from a retail purchase of Windows for a MBP than an OEM copy pre-installed on other vendor's machines.
  • Reply 392 of 505
    dasjettadasjetta Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That ruined my Sunday. I really hate you now!

That is a MBP, but from MS' standpoint they get a lot more money from a retail purchase of Windows for a MBP than an OEM copy pre-installed on other vendor's machines.

True but the real point of this is that they have terrible commercials, poorly written bloated software and over inflated prices for their poorly written software. If they would ever get their heads out of their butts and do something about those issues they would have no problems getting back to their glory days.
  • Reply 393 of 505
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    *is a Mac user*

*posts on the Internet about video editing applications*

*has never made anything on his Mac worth a shit in his entire life*
  • Reply 394 of 505
    naman34naman34 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VT Prof View Post

AAPL needs to respond to these ads at some point. If there is ever a time where differentiating on price is emphasized, it's in these current economic times.

well i noticed that somebody's replied to you already, but let me join in and tell you NO... apple doesn't need to to and will never reply to these ads cuz seriously these ads are way too lame to be taken seriously. they are meant for the really dumb and the only point they really make is that apple gives you less of a choice... obviously 1 company vs many many...

and ya what will apple say anyway??

just listen to Steve ballmer talking about apple and you'll know how much he hates it cuz he knows apple's way better... microsoft is just getting desperate with these ads and thats a good sign...
  • Reply 395 of 505
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Yeah, because all of hollywood is editing on an HP.
  • Reply 396 of 505
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    With the shitty glass display on the new 15 inch MacBook Pro's I'd say they aren't much for editing either.
  • Reply 397 of 505
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    A notebook in general isn't the best editing tool. Film sets I work on all you see are MacBook Pro's. No one cares about the glossy display

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

With the shitty glass display on the new 15 inch MacBook Pro's I'd say they aren't much for editing either.

• Reply 398 of 505
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

. apple doesn't need to to and will never reply to these ads cuz seriously these ads are way too lame to be taken seriously

• Reply 399 of 505
    manos.semmanos.sem Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?

Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

As an Apple Sys admin, I have to say that upgrading the RAM on the new MBP is actually pretty tough. You have to take out the battery, remove about 8 tiny screws, and unsnap the entire bottom casing. After you do that, you'll see ALL the guts of the machine, which would probably scare off the average user. Hey, at least the hard drive's easy to get to now.

Still, 2GB of DDR3 RAM isn't that bad at all.
  • Reply 400 of 505
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member