BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wow. Just wow. They already say iPhone iPod falling flat ala sales.

New ms ads bad Eco.

Winder what happens when pre comes out

Win 7 with no more support for xp 98 and just one

Msft touch machine tab

All iPhone contracts expire.

Holy molt.

Your post is a poor advertisement for the iPhone. I take it you sent your post from one? Other than that... BIG YAWN! If Apple had a buy one get one offer... guess what? The BB is a great product and so is the iPhone. They'll be head to head for a long time yet and I really don't think one will outdo the other. What will sink either will be their own stupid mistakes, bad marketing, poor qc, arrogance, etc.
  • Reply 42 of 166
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimpryde View Post

I have a nano that was given to me and a 15GB 2nd generation iPod, that was free with the purchase of a Mac. So, technically my iPods cost me nothing.

Someone else mentioned the plan, which is a big part of my reluctance. I don't send more than 5 texts per month, but the apps available make it worth having the phone. I'm becoming more of a fan of a world without wires.

Wow, lol I don't think Apple or ATT wants you to have iPhone anyway if you not gonna use it.
  • Reply 43 of 166
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wow. Just wow. They already say iPhone iPod falling flat ala sales.

New ms ads bad Eco.

Winder what happens when pre comes out

Win 7 with no more support for xp 98 and just one

Msft touch machine tab

All iPhone contracts expire.

Holy molt.

What are you on?

I want some!
  • Reply 44 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank god- someone else like me. A small phone is so much easier to carry in your pocket- agreed. And our signal is so much better than the iPhone as well. We are in a win .win situation. And we don't need to recharge TWICE A DAY. Luv my Touch though.

I can carry my iPhone in the fornt pocket of my jeans just fine, and that's with a silicone case. Just turn it horizontally, though it really depends on the pocket shape. It won't break. The iPhone is incredibly durable.

You had better get used to this size, though, until we get that "foldable" screen technology (quite a ways off.)
  • Reply 45 of 166
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    If RIM gives away their Blackberries, and jumps ahead in one Q, that's a more of a stunt! Look at Apple's ##! Those people who bought iPhones had a choice to get RIM freebie or pay for iPhone, and they chose to pay! Thus RIM's victory is FAKE! RIM bought that "medal", they didn't win it! It's like taking a cab to the finish line at the marathon!

Another factor - there were probably a lot of folks waiting to hear from Apple about Copy and Paste and other features. Now, that iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, people are waiting for newest iPhone this Summer. SIMPLE!

Thus RIM STUNT is good for freebie seekers, most of whom are probably not too tech savvy! They just want their SMS and emails. When the newest iPhone and OS are out, they'd be looking with ENVY, counting days to the expiration of their CONTRACTS-TRAPS, as Bono is Looking For What He Hasn't Found Enough Of = MORE $$ + Publicity for whatever causes that keep him in public's eye! Let's see if RIM helps him FIND THOSE quicker! But Don't Cry For Me (says Bono, who'll always have a health coverage!)

I am yet to find an answer to this:

DOES LTE = 4G = end of GSM and CDMA WORLDWIDE? GLOBAL ROAMING? If so, how will the carriers compete? Will it be The Wars of Exclusive Contracts, or strictly Price Plan Wars? Hopefully it's just Hardware/OS Wars!
  • Reply 46 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

If RIM gives away their Blackberries, and jumps ahead in one Q, that's a more of a stunt! Look at Apple's ##! Those people who bought iPhones had a choice to get RIM freebie or pay for iPhone, and they chose to pay! Thus RIM's victory is FAKE! RIM bought that "medal", they didn't win it! It's like taking a cab to the finish line at the marathon!

Another factor - there were probably a lot of folks waiting to hear from Apple about Copy and Paste and other features. Now, that iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, people are waiting for newest iPhone this Summer. SIMPLE!

Thus RIM STUNT is good for freebie seekers, most of whom are probably not too tech savvy! They just want their SMS and emails. When the newest iPhone and OS are out, they'd be looking with ENVY, counting days to the expiration of their CONTRACTS-TRAPS, as Bono is Looking For What He Hasn't Found Enough Of = MORE $$ + Publicity for whatever causes that keep him in public's eye! Let's see if RIM helps him FIND THOSE quicker! But Don't Cry For Me (says Bono, who'll always have a health coverage!)

I am yet to find an answer to this:

DOES LTE = 4G = end of GSM and CDMA WORLDWIDE? GLOBAL ROAMING? If so, how will the carriers compete? Will it be The Wars of Exclusive Contracts, or strictly Price Plan Wars? Hopefully it's just Hardware/OS Wars!

Is there an App for such Apple Paranoia?
  • Reply 47 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cheap and plentiful tends to sell.

Apple with just ONE phone with just ONE provider shook up the entire industry and took #1 position in the US and #3 worldwide and held it for quite some time.

Now, in a lousy economy, RIM offers a Wal-Mart-esque promotion on their ancient e-mail/texting machines and they manage to get into a top spot in Q1. And so far only Q1.

Are we supposed to be impressed that a company that has been in business forever, that has produced the Storm-flop, has managed not to suck for once??

Why does every discussion on the articles around here wind up in this tone? Are we supposed to be impressed by you in any way?

The point of this article is to show that RIM got more BB's into more hands. It's not talking about whether or not you should be impressed or the technological state of the average BB. There's really no need to get worked up over anything. This is just normal business fluctuations and it happens in any market.
  • Reply 48 of 166
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    My wife and I both own curves....

No data plan, syncs calendar and address book, and they were free.

Hoping to get and iPhone with a different data plan though... waiting game. I'd buy one happily except for the cost of the data. The curve works for now, but it is no iPhone by any stretch.
  • Reply 49 of 166
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    These are very skewed figures. Offering 1 for 1 induces people to buy, but that's not sustainable very long. You'd do better waiting over the course of a year to see how this happens. Add to that I wouldn't buy an iPhone right now. With what appears to be annual (Junish?) new models out, people do most of their buying in the summer through Christmas season time.
  • Reply 50 of 166
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I think the real suck on the iPhone's marketshare is the iPod Touch and Skype. We see that the iPod Touch is surging in sales. Everyone has wifi in their homes and at work so we're basically covered everywhere that matters. Many coffee shops, bars, airports, and restaurants have wifi. Skype to skype is free but skype to a phone network will cost you a bit but probably not as much as an AT&T contract.
  • Reply 51 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Why does every discussion on the articles around here wind up in this tone? Are we supposed to be impressed by you in any way?

The point of this article is to show that RIM got more BB's into more hands. It's not talking about whether or not you should be impressed or the technological state of the average BB. There's really no need to get worked up over anything. This is just normal business fluctuations and it happens in any market.

That's his gestalt- that daft mantra- over and over no matter what the product.

Pay it no mind.
  • Reply 52 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I think the real suck on the iPhone's marketshare is the iPod Touch and Skype. We see that the iPod Touch is surging in sales. Everyone has wifi in their homes and at work so we're basically covered everywhere that matters. Many coffee shops, bars, airports, and restaurants have wifi. Skype to skype is free but skype to a phone network will cost you a bit but probably not as much as an AT&T contract.

That's right- we luv the Touch.
  • Reply 53 of 166
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They could also opt for a Touch and a really good phone.

and pay just that much more? smart business decision... not.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

No one considering the benefits of spending $70 per month for all that the phone does is going to decide to get the Touch instead. While some people may do just what you said, they were never going to get the iPhone in the first place.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimpryde View Post

I have a nano that was given to me and a 15GB 2nd generation iPod, that was free with the purchase of a Mac. So, technically my iPods cost me nothing.

Someone else mentioned the plan, which is a big part of my reluctance. I don't send more than 5 texts per month, but the apps available make it worth having the phone. I'm becoming more of a fan of a world without wires.

you don't need to sign up for a texting plan. the base plan comes without text.

also, you can use email to text.

you pay for what you get. if you think you'd use it for your money's worth, get it. if not, don't. but if you're thinking of buying a new shiny ipod and need a new phone, completely worth looking into the iphone.
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

and pay just that much more? smart business decision... not.

If your company provides like most do, the blackberry, what would you buy?
  • Reply 57 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Your post is a poor advertisement for the iPhone. I take it you sent your post from one? Other than that... BIG YAWN! If Apple had a buy one get one offer... guess what? The BB is a great product and so is the iPhone. They'll be head to head for a long time yet and I really don't think one will outdo the other. What will sink either will be their own stupid mistakes, bad marketing, poor qc, arrogance, etc.

I doubt he used an iphone for that. It's much harder to type half-words like that on an iphone than it is to type full words.
  • Reply 58 of 166
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:

I would like to see numbers of iPod Touches stealing from iPhones. There are a lot of people out there who would love an iPhone, but will not switch to AT&T. I think that's where Apple is loosing business to RIM (I don't think that's a bad thing as it can inspire Apple to do better)

I do think that in the next update to iPhone and iPod Touch, we may see more differences between the two devices to make sure that we buy iPhones instead, and we'll see the numbers surge. iPod Touches will be more limited, and thus making many prospective buyers unhappy. Just a guess... Apple's done it before. MacBook Firewire anyone?

But yeah, right now, the only product I would buy from Apple would be the iPod Touch. Minus the crippled hardware (bluetooth!) and crippled App Store, its an amazing device! Even with those short falls I still want one! But WILL not buy an iPhone on AT&T... ever. I'd go BB first!
  • Reply 59 of 166
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

I doubt he used an iphone for that. It's much harder to type half-words like that on an iphone than it is to type full words.

Yeah, that's true. But the mistakes are typical iPhone mistakes - Winder instead of wonder, holy molt instead of holy moly (I assume). The other give away imo is the full inclusion of the original story. Tedious to delete on an iPhone / Touch.

Or maybe iVlad is right, he's on something way better than an iPhone and should be sharing!
  • Reply 60 of 166
    evilmoleevilmole Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Who are you kidding? No one is going from one device that they love to two devices that replicate the same functions (kinda - you'd still be giving up some things, like GPS and the 3G app integration (facebook uploading from the road and the like). You're really reaching here, it's kinda sad.

Depends.

Some people want to be able to play games, listen to music, watch video (etc) without losing the ability to make and receive phone calls when that single device's battery dies. For some customers, not having a phone with a dead battery outweighs the convenience of a single device.