Goose Down Comforter problems ....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noticed that there's tiny little feathers coming out of my goose down comforter and I was wondering ......

Is there something a cover that I can put over the blanket [preferably with a zipper, or something to where the feathers can't escape?

I already have a duvet cover, but I prefer the double protection, so the feathers stop getting on my clothes, etc. etc.

thanks for any help

also, i don't need anything fancy, just something to cover the comforter so the feathers don't come out, so I can put it inside my normal cover.

It's hard to do a search trying to find something like this [@ least 4 me] :P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    The feathers shouldn't be coming out even without the duvet. I put a duvet on mine just to keep it clean; it is such a pain to wash and dry. I've never had a problem with the feathers. Where did you buy it? I would check with them.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've had a bunch of fethers come out at first, now there are about 5 a month. Maybe it was overstuffed?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    the clumps are not big "feathers" ....

they're small small ones ......

i love the comforter, so I'd rather not buy a new one
  • Reply 4 of 13
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

the clumps are not big "feathers" ....

they're small small ones ......

I love the comforter, so I'd rather not buy a new one

You big woose.

There are covers to stop feathers like this getting up your nose.

In OZ we use sheep wool underlays..( matress liners )

They are incredibly warm in winter & cool in summer.

You should try Ugg boots too..mmm mmm Big fashion item....Ugly as sin but amazingly warm too.

• Reply 5 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think you just need to buy better quality stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ........ there's no allergy-type cover for comforters?

i think that would work? Since they'd probably want to seal off the comforter as best as possible ......

?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    from my limited experience, the feathers will poke their way through what ever fabric you have. It is possible that really high quality down comforters have a stich density that produces pores that are smaller than the bottom hard tips of the feathers.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    isn't there a martha steward forum on the web
  • Reply 9 of 13
    is there?

• Reply 10 of 13
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

You big woose.

There are covers to stop feathers like this getting up your nose.

In OZ we use sheep wool underlays..( matress liners )

They are incredibly warm in winter & cool in summer.

You should try Ugg boots too..mmm mmm Big fashion item....Ugly as sin but amazingly warm too.

YOU ARE A CRIME AGAINST FASHION

Anybody who puts their feet into fluffy sheep shoes has serious issues. It's one step aways from ..... (due to graphic nature this description has been edited) ... sheeps bottoms.

People in Oz always have strange ideas. How is your "dooner"? For those who live in a civilised part of the world that is Australian for 'duvet', except they were too stupid to spell it!

How's you rubgy team?

On a more serious note you may found out that you can get it refilled. Sad that it may be, but some peoples shitty jobs is refilling duvets.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    melo98melo98 Posts: 1member
    Looking of protertive cover, here this is site where send send the covers.

see you later

http://http://www.down-bedding.us/Feather-bed-king.htm
  • Reply 12 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    There are allergen resistant comforter covers available, which have a tight enough weave to keep out dust mites, which is plenty tight enough to keep in feathers.

Trouble is, they seem to cost almost as much much as a comforter.

Cheapest I've seen is here, at $80.

One trouble with down is that the quills will eventually wear out the cotton cover. You could get around that by making the cover out of heavier material, but nobody wants a down comforter made out of canvas. I just had to discard one (I had had it for quite few years) because it was leaking feathers all over the place.

If you decide you need a new one, Warm Things has good prices and a sale on now (no, I'm not a Warm Things shill, it's just that I had to buy a new one and did some research).
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

I've noticed that there's tiny little feathers coming out of my goose down comforter and I was wondering ......

Is there something a cover that I can put over the blanket [preferably with a zipper, or something to where the feathers can't escape?

I already have a duvet cover, but I prefer the double protection, so the feathers stop getting on my clothes, etc. etc.

thanks for any help

also, i don't need anything fancy, just something to cover the comforter so the feathers don't come out, so I can put it inside my normal cover.

It's hard to do a search trying to find something like this [@ least 4 me] :P

Hi,

I don't think there is any need looking for a cover for your comforter when you can have a down comforter that doesn't send out fethers at a reasonable price. Visit http://www.down-bedding.us/ It is more ecomomical than buying comforter plus cover. Anyway, if you insist on a cover, they might have it too.