Windows Connections

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recently purchased a 17" LCD iMac with Jaguar. I really enjoy this machine, which is on my Windows 2000 Active Directory home network. I was wondering if there is any way to configure Jaguar so whenever the iMac boots it automatically mounts a network drive to my W2K server? Also, can I use any of my W2K profile in Jaguar. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    beornbeorn Posts: 30member
    Good purchase! The iMac is a great machine.

[quote]

<strong>I was wondering if there is any way to configure Jaguar so whenever the iMac boots it automatically mounts a network drive to my W2K server?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you mean that whenever your iMac boots up, it will automatically mount a networked share that resides on the W2K machine? If that is the case then, yes, it is definitely possible to do. There are probably a number of ways to make the iMac do this under Jag, but I'm not quite sure what the best one would be... Somebody else on the forum will probably be able to help you with the specifics.

[quote]

<strong>Also, can I use any of my W2K profile in Jaguar.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you mean that you can login to the server using one of the W2K profiles? Yes, in fact its necessary to make the SMB filesharing happen. However, if you mean "can I network-login from the iMac and make all of my desktop settings from the W2K machine show up in Jaguar", then the answer is no. The two systems are completely seperate, and there's no way to copy Windows user settings to the Mac OS. (As far as I know, at least... This is where somebody ususally proves me wrong...)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Try <a href="http://www.gideonsoftworks.com"; target="_blank">http://www.gideonsoftworks.com</a>; for an autologin program...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ericj551:

<strong>Try <a href="http://www.gideonsoftworks.com"; target="_blank">http://www.gideonsoftworks.com</a>; for an autologin program...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to have to use an outside product for something as basic as this? It's hard to believe that Apple is promoting itself as something that "just works" and then stuff like this seems impossible to do.

I must say that I've been very underwhelmed with 10.2 so far.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    [quote] Gambit wrote in another thread,

I posted in another thread, but I thought I should repeat here: There IS a way to automatically access your network drives without a password prompt. You can do this by going into Keychain Access under Application/Utilities. Select the desired server you wish to access and, in the Access Control tab, click "Always allow access to this item." It's gonna ask you for your password to make changes to the keychain, and then you'll be able to access it without a password dialogue forever. To make it come up at login, just drag the mounted network volume to the Login Items panel in System Preferences, and the next time you log in, it will be mounted on your desktop.

<hr></blockquote>

That'll get you auto-login w/o 3rd party software
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian Paulsen:

<strong>

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to have to use an outside product for something as basic as this? It's hard to believe that Apple is promoting itself as something that "just works" and then stuff like this seems impossible to do.

I must say that I've been very underwhelmed with 10.2 so far.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you should make sure this is true before you open your mouth.

I personally have a PBG4-500 that can't take advantage of QE, and I've definitely noticed an increase in responsiveness of OS X. Also, networking between Windows and OS X is a piece of cake, unlike the kludge that was thrown into 10.1.

I also like that the interface is (a little) more refined, so that the buttons aren't the huge bubbly throbbers they used to be, and that keyboard shortcuts have been added to some of the more common dialog screens.

My only gripe is that bluej (free java development app) crashes every 5 minutes, causing me to force quit the app.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I want to thank everyone for their help. When I get home tonight, I will try the "free" way to mount a W2K drive first. If that doesn't work, I will download and try Autologin.