Windows application on a Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've decided to go the Parallels/Fusion route OR Crossover. I'm leaning toward Crossover because of price/licensing issues. There is only 1 program (a proprietary database) that I need to deviate from Mac for but it requires Internet Explorer 6 (Windows only). I need to be able to do this on 3 computers. PLEASE make suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenguy View Post

I've decided to go the Parallels/Fusion route OR Crossover. I'm leaning toward Crossover because of price/licensing issues. There is only 1 program (a proprietary database) that I need to deviate from Mac for but it requires Internet Explorer 6 (Windows only). I need to be able to do this on 3 computers. PLEASE make suggestions. Thanks

If IE6 is all you want, then you don't need either virtualization environment. Install X11 if you haven't done so. Download and install ie4osx.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tenguytenguy Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

If IE6 is all you want, then you don't need either virtualization environment. Install X11 if you haven't done so. Download and install ie4osx.

Does running Tiger make a difference? I'll need to download X11 since it did not come with Tiger. Also, are there any issues you're aware of running IE this way? Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenguy View Post

Does running Tiger make a difference? I'll need to download X11 since it did not come with Tiger. Also, are there any issues you're aware of running IE this way? Thanks.

Tiger should not make a difference. X11 does not ship with the OS. It ships with the computer. If it it not preinstalled, then you may install it from the System Restore disc.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I use MacPorts to compile Wine. Not complex at all. MacPorts does everything for you.

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
  • Reply 5 of 11
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Tiger should not make a difference. X11 does not ship with the OS. It ships with the computer. If it it not preinstalled, then you may install it from the System Restore disc.

Actually 10.4 vs. 10.5 does make a difference. With 10.4 it was on the installer, but not part of the default install. With 10.5 it is part of the default install.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    It looks like ie4osx will not run on a non-Intel box. If that is your case, or you wish for another option, go for VirtualBox. It works well as long as you don't need graphics stuff. Get it at virtualbox.org.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

It looks like ie4osx will not run on a non-Intel box. If that is your case, or you wish for another option, go for VirtualBox. It works well as long as you don't need graphics stuff. Get it at virtualbox.org.

I have a MacBook (Intel) running 10.4 Tiger. If I install X11 from the Tiger Install disk then ie4osx will that be sufficient to use IE 6?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

I have a MacBook (Intel) running 10.4 Tiger. If I install X11 from the Tiger Install disk then ie4osx will that be sufficient to use IE 6 with no problems? Thanks again.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I gave the install a try. I have an Intel iMac running Leopard. IE 6 only ran once. Every other attempt, caused a fatal error and shut down. Not to mention my boot time is slower now. I removed everything and hope my sluggish Mac will come back to life.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I gave the install a try. I have an Intel iMac running Leopard. IE 6 only ran once. Every other attempt, caused a fatal error and shut down. Not to mention my boot time is slower now. I removed everything and hope my sluggish Mac will come back to life.

What was the configuration that caused the problem? I'm not a big "techie" though I know a fair amount about the practical side of Mac. I think I may just go ahead & install Parallels & Windows XP Home Edition (full version) & make it easy on myself. I'll wait a few days in case anyone has any negative comments regarding this. Thanks to all.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I should be more specific ... oops. The fatal error came from IE 6. Just once did IE 6 come to life. I have a 20 inch aluminum iMac. It came with Tiger and Leopard. I am using 10.5.6. Something else is acting strange with my machine. I am not a techie either. I will eventually have to do a new install. Some like Parallels, some like Fusion. Not so many talk about Virtual Box. My opinion is that none are perfect. I just installed Windows 7 RC under Virtual Box. So far, so good. Just don't try to play Solitaire or anything else looking for graphics. If you already have XP, try it with VB. If that doesn't get the job done, try demos of the other guys. I think Parallels is only good for two weeks, while Fusion is good for a month.