Macbook pros and cons vs 15 inch Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I am in the market for a new laptop and some great deals have come my way for either choice relating to an educational deal. That nonsense aside, I need to decide which to pick up.

I'm leaning more towards the Macbook, if only because of the price and there doesn't seem to be much substantial differentiating it from the Pro aside from the screen size.

I've heard some complaints regarding the screen of the Macbooks. Is the quality of the screen that poor? Is the Pro's screen significantly better to the point that it would be worth making the decision based on that alone? Any other differences?

I am coming off of an old (6 years now I think) 12 inch PBook that I absolutely love, but it is time to move on. If only they would still make those...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _ alliance _ View Post

Hello,

I am in the market for a new laptop and some great deals have come my way for either choice relating to an educational deal. That nonsense aside, I need to decide which to pick up.

I'm leaning more towards the Macbook, if only because of the price and there doesn't seem to be much substantial differentiating it from the Pro aside from the screen size.

I've heard some complaints regarding the screen of the Macbooks. Is the quality of the screen that poor? Is the Pro's screen significantly better to the point that it would be worth making the decision based on that alone? Any other differences?

I am coming off of an old (6 years now I think) 12 inch PBook that I absolutely love, but it is time to move on. If only they would still make those...

Dude, you're back! Still driving the S2000?

I just bought a macbook, and the screen seems fine. I use it mainly for paperwork, keynote, and some embedded programming, so I suppose it's possible that the display is not ideal for intense graphic arts. It works fine with illustrator and indesign, though.

The MacBook is also smaller than it seems. It's very easy to travel with. Honestly, if you're not a wimp, the difference between carrying around a Macbook and and Macbook Air is minimal.

Are you in Twin Peaks as in San Francisco?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Dude, you're back! Still driving the S2000?

I just bought a macbook, and the screen seems fine. I use it mainly for paperwork, keynote, and some embedded programming, so I suppose it's possible that the display is not ideal for intense graphic arts. It works fine with illustrator and indesign, though.

The MacBook is also smaller than it seems. It's very easy to travel with. Honestly, if you're not a wimp, the difference between carrying around a Macbook and and Macbook Air is minimal.

Are you in Twin Peaks as in San Francisco?

No, I moved on to a BMW (which is a pain in the ass and in the shop right now, so that might change soon) and a Subaru for the winter. Twin Peaks as in the San Bernardino mountains, actually. So a bit south.

I think the Macbook will probably be ok. How bout the glossy screen?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    So...no good reasons to get the MPro over a regular MBook?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

So...no good reasons to get the MPro over a regular MBook?

Do you need the extra screen space or dedicated graphics?

Have you looked at a MBP refurb? The entry level MBP is $1699 as a refurb model. I know you're getting a special deal but that's a pretty good price.

I'd lean towards the high end MB and get as a refurb.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I think the Macbook will probably be ok. How bout the glossy screen?

It honestly hasn't been much of a problem for me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Hello,

While not necessarily the best deal in town, money-wise, I opted for the low-end unibody 15" Macbook Pro over the 13" Macbook for several reasons. The main reason was the Macbook's lack of a firewire port. (I'm almost sure this was one of Apple's schemes to get people who capture and edit even the smallest amount of video to pony up for the Pro!) One of the other reasons was the more powerful graphics card (9600GT vs 9400M). The third reason was, upon an in-person inspection of both the Macbook and the Macbook Pro at my local Apple store, I came away with the impression that the 13" screen was much too small for my needs.

It really depends on what you plan to do with the notebook. The unibody Macbook is a more than adequate machine *if* you don't have a need for the extra features that I've mentioned above. It certainly beats any run-of-the-mill PC in the ground if for no other reason than OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

One of the other reasons was the more powerful graphics card (9600GT vs 9400M).

How significant is this?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

How significant is this?

big .. diff.

the 15 in uni has 2 CHIPS INSIDE

FROM THE MAC SITE I PASTE FOR YOU

The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro notebooks combine the efficiency of an integrated graphics processor with the desktop-class performance of a discrete graphics processor. That?s because they have both. Out of the box, they run the integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400M processor, which provides plenty of performance for everyday use with up to 5 hours of battery life for the 15-inch MacBook Pro and up to 8 hours for the 17-inch model.* But when you need turbocharged performance for the most graphically intensive tasks, the discrete NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT processor delivers. And thanks to a new graphics architecture, it?s easy to switch between these two processors.

----------

i would but the 15 in hands down