Photos reveal spacious interior of second Paris Apple store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Makes sense really. Anyone who's done any shopping in Paris has undoubtedly noticed the vast amount of open, unused space in the shops. It's a very nice contrast to the "cram sellable items into every square foot" here in the states.

Having lived in France for many years I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe we shop in different stores.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That French building interior kinda looks like the interior of Steve's house he wants demo'ed.

Maybe Steve should just sell his home to Apple and have it rebuilt into an Apple Store and call it the Paris Apple Store on the West Coast of America!

That Paris store looks like it will be a pretty nice place. Too bad I'll never get to see it.

It's just as well tho', according to Obummer, all I could say is "Merci Beaucoup"!

Why never? You think they ban rednecks in Europe?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't expect someone who doesn't know what a continent is to have adequate reading comprehension

lol, solipsism, great sarcasm ...
  • Reply 24 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like it'll make a nice store interior eventually... looking forward to the cozy little café next to the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course they have the money, but why would they? A store only for Zunes, Xboxes and their software doesn't seem like a viable retail operation to me.

Weren't there some rumours about them building one.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 776member
    Right across from the Garnier Opera!

I was there a couple of years ago (to see Salvatore Sciarrino's "Da gelo a gelo") and it's a perfect location.

Apple should celebrate by finally putting out an iPod ad for people who listen to classical music!

I vote for some air conducting (c'mon, we've all done it! ) to Mahler or Shostakovich... better yet, some Berlioz in honor of the new store!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Having lived in France for many years I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe we shop in different stores.

I think he meant that, for instance, Galeries Lafayette next to Opera have much more interior space than Macy's, for instance. But it's to do with the architecture rather than everything else - the French did not build (in the 19th century) for a quick buck - they built for style in the first place. That's what makes Paris what is Paris.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like it'll make a nice store interior eventually... looking forward to the cozy little café next to the Genius Bar.

there is a very nice Starbucks next to there already
  • Reply 29 of 42
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

They sell us overpriced bottled water, we sell them overpriced computers

(that was a joke. do not get upset.)

We already gave them the greatest gift a country can give another country....EuroDisney!

• Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

We already gave them the greatest gift a country can give another country....EuroDisney!

Amen to that! Even though McDonalds is almost on par, I think, as the ultimate gift. Especially to a food-loving country ...
  • Reply 31 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

They give us the Statue of Liberty we give them EuroDismey? Doesn't seem fair. Just think of how different the US would be if the Louisiana Purchase didn't happen.

Speaking of the French, here are some Parkour videos...
    Compilation

"District 13" clip from writer/director Luc Besson

"Top Gear clip Peugeot vs. free runners
    Who else but the French would perfect the art of running away? (just joking)
  • Reply 32 of 42
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Clearly you'd know better than I, as my Francophile experience was limited to about 3.5 days in Paris. However, I seem to recall that the vast majority of clothing stores I saw had a lot of open space, especially when compared to the relatively jammed stores around here.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

They sell us overpriced bottled water, we sell them overpriced computers

(that was a joke. do not get upset.)

Sad thing is.... this ain't a joke!
  • Reply 34 of 42
    fast fred 1fast fred 1 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

but would we expect anything less from the French?

Will they also offer cafe and croissant along with that MacBook?

Yeah, and where's the Cheese Counter?
  • Reply 35 of 42
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    What the hell? Has anyone seen my Apple Store?!

It's tiny!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    marktrekmarktrek Posts: 69member
    I think this location would look great with the beams and ornamentation. I hope that Apple doesn't just put in a drop ceiling and lose the architecture.

Unfortunately corporate America is happy with cookie-cutter designs. Everything looks the same. It is one thing to have a standard look. Another to be so alike that it becomes boring. I think that Apple should try to do something at every store to make it unique. Even if it just something small. Maybe have the floors made of a local stone. perhaps just one piece at the entrance. Or maybe use screen backgrounds of local historical or natural scenic views. How about a computer set up to show movies made at local schools or sporting events. (Hey, this is what can be done with iMovie.) Maybe a map of the country or state behind the Genius Bar with an Apple symbol at the store location.

But do something, anything so the stores do not just look all the same. Now every where you go, everything is the same. It is called Generica. Everything is generically the same. The last thing that Apple should do is be boring.

Apple is doing a great job. Keep up the good work. But just because you are successful doesn't mean that you don't keep looking at new ideas.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    grayumgrayum Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sure it's the French dictating any design changes on the exterior. That building looks historic.

The whole city is historic!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Clearly you'd know better than I, as my Francophile experience was limited to about 3.5 days in Paris. However, I seem to recall that the vast majority of clothing stores I saw had a lot of open space, especially when compared to the relatively jammed stores around here.

Actually you are both correct

The difference is this: in France the floor space usage isn't rationalized like in the US. In most clothing stores in the US the alleys between displays are dimensioned precisely to allow somewhat 2 people or somewhat to pass. Which means the whole retail floor usage is managed with the products in mind.

In France it doesn't go that way. Displays are put wherever they fit and are accessible. I know managers in Celio that don't have everything on display at all times because (quote) it's "feel too crowded".

So yeah the stores in Paris "feel" less jammed even though they can be must smaller than stores in the states.. It's all about what the floor usage is thought for.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    docyoastdocyoast Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

it's a rather typical Parisian (Hausmannian) building, in fact.

Exactly. Not what Parisians would call historic; the medieval Paris was demolished mid 19th century to give Parisians access to running water and sewerage. Parts of historic Paris can still be found in Le Marais and Quartier Latin.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Wish that store were in my neighborhood!

Too bad the U.S. will be seen slower store introductions.

Unless you can convince them to open them up in smaller states / smaller market areas / or next door to an already opened Apple store -

I don't think the slow down is because of the economy as much as it is because Apple is having a hard time finding locations they deem worthy

Yes I know there are some areas that could use a store, and it would likely do quite well, but is it up-scale enough for a fancy Apple store?

- One that get them a ton of press for opening?

- One that will get them a ton of press for considering building?

- One that would get them a ton of press for considering rehabbing that building (it is an old building after-all)?

- One that will get them a ton of press for pissing off all of the town fathers for considering building in that area?

They are opening stores in smaller areas, just with much less fan-fare, and we all know, that doesn't do Apple or Steve any good, or at least not as much good as they like.

Hell Apple could have built 20-50 more stores then they did, in areas with reasonable lease rates, or better yet, they could have BUILT stores for MUCH less they are are paying for some of the lease spaces. Buy it WOULD NOT have providing the press or face time Apple has gotten for building where they did. Now is that a good thing or a bad thing ? you tell me.

Skip