MacBooks sweep latest Consumer Reports scores

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!
  • Reply 2 of 104
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...

Quote:

The 15-inch MacBook Pro was rated overall with a score of 75 out of 100, ahead of a 64-rated Toshiba Satellite (the Pro costs $2,000, the Toshiba $700).

The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
  • Reply 5 of 104
    canuckleheadcanucklehead Posts: 387member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while the 20-inch iMac's 70 was enough to earn a runner-up position behind the Dell XPS One 24.

Can I assume this is a typo?
  • Reply 6 of 104
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

That is just too funny!! Wow, can't do anything but surf and email photos??!! That is SO original!! Can't do anything complex with UNIX??!! That's even funnier! I am sure some UNIX programmers may want to chime in with their two cents worth on that subject. Good luck living in the land of the blind.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple's iMac line will continue to get bested by Dell's XPS One as long as Apple continues to use mobile processors. I assume that the next models will get the desktop-greade LV C2Q that Intel made for AIOs. They are still more expensive than the processor Dell uses but it does offer more performance than the notebook-grade CPUs Apple currently uses while being significantly cheaper.

Dell XPS One 24" - Q8200 (4M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.33 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 45nm) - $163

Apple iMac 24" - P9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.66 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) - $348
  • Reply 8 of 104
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    congrats apple
  • Reply 9 of 104
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:

if they are technically savvy, they can figure that out.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...

The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.

They usually pick an item from each category that takes into account the price. This usually isn't at the top of the ratings.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    ipodrulzipodrulz Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Cause all those Hollywood films mean nothing. You should also do some research on all the universities using Apple servers (hint: There's a lot of them).
  • Reply 12 of 104
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    20" iMac though got a recommended checkmark. (close to highest score and $400 less than the top-rated Dell.) STrange how they didn't review the 24" iMac and strange how they gave the 20" iMac an excellent rating for the display. Although I think the 20" display is quite nice, CR might need to make a new top mark for the 24" iMac display.

One thing that distinguishes a Mac from Windows is OS/X, but Consumer Reports doesn't seem to take this into account much when comparing machines.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Also note that Consumer Reports says the Macbook Air display has an anti-glare coating. They list it as one of the highlights.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    Also note that the 13inch is considered near ultra-portable! As if?

That's almost as bad as Steve Jobs calling iTunes movies near DVD quality!
  • Reply 15 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

To the majority, cost is a major factor.

Sure. That's why Microsoft-based PCs have such a large market share. And that's just fine with many of us who think that Apple's high-margin, low-volume, high-quality, high-service, low-maintenance strategy is the way to go.

Different strokes for different folks.

And, as a shareholder, I'd rather own AAPL than Dell, Sony, and all those commodity computer stocks.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

dude are you high? PC is garbage, i have used PC's for as long as i can remember, i finally got sick of rebooting every few months because of system crashing. i invested in high end PC's including Alienware and Dell XPS systems. i bought a macbook and a macbook air and they are far superior. i can do so much more with them without so much as a worry about if my system with crash. and mac's aren't for technically savvy people? if microsofts version of a technically savvy person is that douche bag giampolo actor than they can keep the technically savvy people! and what is your version of complex? how do you think major motion pictures are edited? sure as hell isn't with a PC. if your version of complex means playing WOW then dude you got problems.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, as a shareholder, I'd rather own AAPL than Dell, Sony, and all those commodity computer stocks.

AS an Apple shareholder why the hell would you ever admit wanting any of those other stocks?
  • Reply 18 of 104
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Regardless of criteria, the CR ratings will help sales quite a bit...

I personally don't care much for CR, but I know there are quite a few people that follow them.

Besides the hard drive in the unibodies (engineered to fail and somehow still have MTBF numbers...bad personal experiences with HDD technology the last decade...), I hope everything is spec'd for durability...in this age of disposable products, the unibody macs (and iMacs) may be the most durable cases we'll see for notebook computers ever, and hopefully as computers too. With a decent quality screen, and reasonable graphics, I see Macbooks as a good longer term investment. I'm hoping my next MacBook purchase will age well.

Even if the most that this CR rating does is get people to look at Apple products in person, I'm sure that many will also see the industrial design as just amazing.

ok...hyperfanboy mode disengage...
  • Reply 19 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Also note that the 13inch is considered near ultra-portable! As if?

That's almost as bad as Steve Jobs calling iTunes movies near DVD quality!

I'd certainly consider the MacBook Air near ultraportable.

The other point is, below 13 inches is ultraportable, isn't it, so the next category? near?

I realize 480i upscaled to 720p or 1080i/p can look pretty good, but iTunes movies' quality is closer to DVD than standard def. I choose to save a buck to watch their near DVD, and save download time.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AS an Apple shareholder why the hell would you ever admit wanting any of those other stocks?

hahah!

2nd.

Techstud, did this CR news come out before the stock market closed today? (I realize this hit AI after hours)