Hackintosh netbook advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been considering a netbook and I have a few questions. I have been reading about them for a while and the idea of having a small, light device to play with while I am watching TV appeals to me. I would want it only for S.E.W.ing (surfing, e-mail, and word processing). By the way, I made that up--SEWing--and I am sure it's cleverness will make its use explode all over the 'net.

Anyway, I wanted to avoid XP and was considering GNU/Linux. But then I see references to Hackintoshes. Currently I see an MSI Wind advertised on Craigslist with Leopard as its OS. That would be my choice but I need to know:

1. Is it legal to load Apple OS on a non-Apple device?

2. Are these machines, with Atom processors and 1GB RAM, able to handle OSX?

3. Are there other websites/bulletin boards that focus on netbooks where I could learn about these and other matters?

Please realize that I am old and unskilled in the inner workings of computers. Nevertheless, I am willing to suffer some inconvenience to avoid XP--even learn about Linux. Finally, I do have an iPhone and love it but I don't agree with those who say it replaces a netbook.

Thank you for your time and help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reynard View Post

1. Is it legal to load Apple OS on a non-Apple device?

2. Are these machines, with Atom processors and 1GB RAM, able to handle OSX?

1. A lot of people on this forum will tell you no, but the fact is that while installing OS X on non-Apple hardware violates Apple's license agreement (probably), that is not a crime. End-user license agreements have never been given their day in court, and companies like Apple definitely don't want them to face that challenge.

2. Yes. Some applications, like say Photoshop or FCP, are a different matter.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    As long as its not actually illegal, I'll feel free to give "hackintosh" a try. If I get a netbook for $300 or less, I feel I can experiment a bit. If I don't like OSX, or have some trouble with it on a netbook, I can then give GNU/Linux a try. I am hearing good things about Ubuntu.

Thank you for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Oh my G-d, (Im too old to say OMG), I just went to the Computer World site and started poking around...there is a whole new world out there on OSX for netbooks. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I think the desire to meld the two--netbook size and OSX--is great. I don't think Apple can offer a netbook for those who are content with just-the-basics machine so its not like Apple fans will have their prayers answered in a few months.

I am not trying to bump my posting by the way, with my two quick replies. I have all the information I need now. I just wanted to express my enthusiasm and, again, my thanks to both of you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    The above folks are giving really poor advice.

Is it illegal to run OS X on non-apple hardware? Yes, in civil proceedings. It is not a criminal thing. As an individual does Apple really care? No. Especially so if you put it on a netbook.

As to the legality of EULAs, the concept of EULA HAS been tested in court. Mixed results, sometimes it looses, sometime it wins. Seemingly dependent on the particular restrictions an EULA embeds. Apples EULA is currently in court with the Psystar case. It has survived request to invalidate it on summary judgement so it isn't AFU, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will survive on further scrutiny. My personal opinion is that the Apple OS X EULA will hold up in that case. There are dozens on these boards who will give you the opposite opinion. But they won't sue Apple themselves claiming unfair restrictions to get the EULA invalidated so listen with a large grain of salt to that group of all-talk sea-lawyers.

I'm not giving advice, but I have considered a hackintosh netbook, even with what I said above about the EULA. But I am waiting to see if there is any smoke to the bigger than iPhone, smaller than macBook tablet rumor.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hiro, you are obviously well-versed on the topic of EULAs, especially as it relates to software; even more particularly to Apple. So its not illegal in that I should worry about being pulled over while having OSX on my MSI Wind in the passenger seat.

But certainly Apple doesn't want me to do it.

I must say, the idea of the powerful, elegant OSX on that cute little screen is damn appealing. I can see how a hackintosh community developed so fast. I just grin thinking about it.

I have superficially followed the Pystar case here on AI. Lacking a deep understanding of the issue my gut wants to side with Apple. I like Apple. One could say they sell a package deal–intellectual property (OSX) with their machines. Just because we can separate them doesn't mean we should.

Even if you buy that, the hackintosh community isn't trying to make money off Apple's work. At least not yet. I would gladly buy the OS and put it on an MSI Wind.

Furthermore, I don't see the netbooks even competing with the $999 Macbook. If one needs a laptop, he's gonna buy a real laptop.

I may be justifying. But I have something to think about. In my defense, I have never even stolen a song online. I've given Apple all my business over nearly 20 years.

I do have a suggestion for Apple that will solve this problelm once and for all. And it will also resolve the debate I see here at AI over what the Apple netbook should be: A simple second computer with virtually no margin or a quality device that sets the standard for the category.

For those wanting the cheapie netbook as a second computer, Apple gives you a coupon if you buy say, an iMac. That coupon, good for about a year, gives you a $200 discount on a $500 netbook. It would encourage the sales of desktops or higher-end laptops and give the consumer that cute netbook. Win-win!

And for the higher end model, Apple just keeps whitling down the $999 Macbook.

(Don't bother to critique my plan, it's just my fantasy.)

Thank you Hiro for your thoughtful, interesting reply.