How to remove the fat from Jaguar ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My new dual 867 MHz will come soon, and I want to remove all the useless fat on OS X. This computer will be used at home and will never be part of a network. I'll access to the internet, but that's all (about networks).

There are many files related to languages, printer descriptions which I don't have and will never have, etc. Some Apple applications (iDVD, iMovie, and all OS 9 stuff) which I don' t need.

So what are the folders and files which I can delete without causing dammage to the system ? Where they are ?

I want to optimise disk space and memory. So what else should I seek ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    When doing an installation, customize it and turn off the half a gig of printer drivers and several hundred megs of international language support and fonts

I wouldn't go throwing anything else out.. in X, if it's not needed, it isn't loaded so it won't slow down your system, and when you do need it, you'll be glad it's there
  • Reply 2 of 33
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    But can I remove this stuff (PPD and language stuff) by hand ?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>But can I remove this stuff (PPD and language stuff) by hand ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

just wondering why you want to? 80GB hds and large if the stuff takes up a couple hundred MBs who cares. It doesn't slow the system down or anything.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Well, my HD is 60 GB, not 80 GB.

And I hate to have lots of useless things on my HD.

I want to remove all the useless

? language files (chineese, korean, spanish, german, jewish, russian, martian, etc)

? files related to printers I don't have.

? anything related to cameras, scanners, wacom tablets, vibrators or devices I'll never have.

etc...

I much prefer to have a slick, clean and thin operating system, like that guy who prefer an hairless scrotum.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Your best bet is just to reinstall and do a customized installation. There you can choose not to install language/printer stuff that you don't need. As far as the iApps that you don't want, just delete them when you get finished installing. They don't spread their tentacles like Windows apps do.

With networking stuff, I'd leave it the way it is. That stuff is low-level, doesn't take much space and should really never even be seen by you. There's no telling how these networking things are used within the system and whether getting rid of rendezvous, for example, will kill other things (it may not, but who knows?). Just leave it alone if its in the /System or /Library folders.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Isn't X so much easier than 9? . . . Hmm
  • Reply 7 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>Isn't X so much easier than 9? . . . Hmm </strong><hr></blockquote>

It's way easier because you never need to worry about extensions conflicting or something not being loaded when you want it or something being loaded when you don't want it. If it's not needed by the system, it's not used. Plain and simple. That was the reason applenut asked why you would want to clean the 'fat.' It's not like OS 9 in that it will not cause you grief if you don't need it. It's not even really there. Just a little file somewhere in the root of your directory that never sees the light of day. Crashes due to incompatibility are a thing of the past. Why do you want to do this again, kali (other than being excessively obsessive about your HD)? They cause absolutely no harm.

edit: I forgot to mention the JOY of using certain extension sets to make sure things worked right or you had enough resources for a game or program. THAT was fun.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I find it completely stupid to have lots (LOTS, not just one or two) of files sitting there and which are NEVER used by the system. Those languages and printers stuff should leave. I don't want to reinstall ALL the system just for those files, but there's surelly a way to remove that junk. Slick, shiny, hairless scrotum !

I don't want to be able to say to my friend : "Hey! Look, my system is taking 350 000 GB on the HD, and the only thing I do on this computer is word processing !"

Can I install system 7.1 on the new computer ?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    oh kali (see how annoying these are? )

[quote] I find it completely stupid to have lots (LOTS, not just one or two) of files sitting there and which are NEVER used by the system. <hr></blockquote>

let's say you find a girlfriend. turns out she's dutch. let's say she's a web designer and want to so you all her sites (and they are in dutch) unless i am wrong having those extra languages will allow you to view it in internet explorer.

since you have all those stupid file you can!

I know this is a stupid reason but hey... you'll dealing with unix now and by nature it has a thousands and thousands off stupid little invisible files that you will need. what's a few more know you have a stock apple setup that you can tell some tech support guy down the road. yes i do have a basic install.

do want you want. i don't really give a hoot. just something to think about...

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: keyboardf12 ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 33
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    If you really want to remove the printer descriptions by hand it's really easy. Open your hard drive, go to "libray&gt;printers&gt;here they are" delete em if you want. It's that easy. Probably the same for the languages, though I don't have em installed, cause I only speke englush so I dunno fer shure.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

just wondering why you want to? 80GB hds and large if the stuff takes up a couple hundred MBs who cares. It doesn't slow the system down or anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Applenut,

I gotta agree... I could never understand why people feel the need to mess with things (things that they don't know about) just to save 100MB of space.

Question: are these the same folks that BM&C (bi&ch, , moan & complain) when X locks up on em?

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 33
    kali,

does <a href="http://www.ocdresource.com/resource/whatsocd+main.html"; target="_blank">this</a> describe you?

chill out. they don't take up that much space. and, like dave suggested, removing them may cause OSX to be unstable.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    You've got 35megs of extensions to the kernel. And 65megs of coreservices stuff. Is it really worth the effort?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    If it all adds up to being even half a meg of RAM then yes, it's worth it.

And if it doesn't, some people like things neat and tidy. Deal with it.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>If it all adds up to being even half a meg of RAM then yes, it's worth it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In OS X, things are loaded into RAM as they are needed, when they are needed. If there were 200GB of irrelevant printer drivers lying around somewhere, not a single one of them would ever be loaded into RAM. At least, not until someone plugged in a new printer, and one of them suddenly became relevant.

[quote]<strong>And if it doesn't, some people like things neat and tidy. Deal with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS X has everything placed neatly and tidily already - if not centrally. The localizations, in particular, are per-application, which is why it's best to prune them at installation time. Doing so only frees up disk space, though.

It's not at all Mac like to be rummaging around in the guts of the system. The fact that many Mac users are accustomed to it is a result of MacOS' most unpleasant and unfriendly legacies; it's not an asset.

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 33
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    back on subject...

An app that worked up till 10.1.5 (dunno if it works in Jag) is called <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13031&db=mac"; target="_blank">Monolingual</a>

[edit] This app gets rid of any languages you dont want, hence saving space.[/edit]

I used it without any probs and got rid of a few hundred MB.

Regarding the printer files, dunno bout that.

Regarding OS 9 and OS 9 specific Apps, when you go to the root of your HD, you'll see "System Folder" (which is OS 9) and "Applications (MacOS 9)". Unless you're totally sure, I would at least keep the System Folder just in case there may be a stray old Classic app that you need to use or whatnot. Otherwise, you can just drag the folders to trash and delete. The System Folder can live no probs without the Applications (MacOS 9) folder

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Thanks ZO. At least, YOU were usefull here. You responded to my question, thanks !

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 33

<strong>Thanks ZO. At least, YOU were usefull here. You responded to my question, thanks !

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay Kali,

First of all MOST OF US responded to your question and YOU didn't want to hear the advice we were trying to give you! The advice was simple DON'T go around trashing stuff in OS X just to save a few 100 meg of disk space. Memory IS NOT an issue here since X is very different when it comes to memory.

Fact is NOBODY here (or any other web based forum) is a 100% expert when it comes to 10.2 files and what is truly safe to delete and what isn't. I'm willing to bet 99% of the people who work FOR Apple aren't either. So unless you are told to it's 'okay' to delete stuff from someone who actually worked on Jag then take that advice with a HUGE grain of salt. What is 'SAFE' to delete on my system config could be VERY different to what is SAFE to delete on someone elses.

If you don't want to listen to advice that COULD save you a WORLD OF HEARTACHE then here we go!!! Why don't you just start deleting eveything you don't think you need (don't like the looks of something ... trash it!) and just keep your fingers crossed. Heck you MIGHT even get lucky and eveything will still work and in the end what do you get? Ummm 0.5% more unused disk space? Worth the risk? Most of us here sure as heck don't think so.

(and yes 0.5% of a 40GB is about 200MB)

Heck even if your system gives up the ghost just come back here and start ranting that OS X sucks and that it's so unstable that you just lost eveything.

How's that?

Dave

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Yes, that's a good idea!

I'll experiment with the library folder, and delete some files, just to see and learn. Of course, if something goes wrong, I'll know that's my fault and I wont accuse anyone.

I did LOTS of experiments on system 7, in the past, and I trully learned many things that way. I made many mistakes and crashed my old Mac often in the far away past. By doing this, I was able to settup a kick-ass Mac that lasted 11 years. It didn't crashed since 2 years, at the very least, and I'm still using this old machine a lot. After doing all my dirty tricks (Res-Editing, hacking, INITs and CDEV permutations etc.), I optimised my settup.

I'll try to do the same on Mac OS X, even if I know it's a whole different thing ! I'm that kind of a girl. I have done this on my boyfriend, too !

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 33

<strong>After doing all my dirty tricks (Res-Editing, hacking, INITs and CDEV permutations etc.), I optimised my settup. ..... I'm that kind of a girl. I have done this on my boyfriend, too ! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Kali,

You kinky girl you.... your into res-editing your boyfriend? :eek: Hey I really like that in a girl but don't tell my wife.

Okay to be serious for a second... X is way different than 9 and just having the extra files on the HD doesn't mean the same thing as it did in 9. Thing get dynamicly loaded ONLY when needed if your system calls for something then it is needed and if it doesn't then it's just a harmless file sitting on the drive. I'd really think twice about doing too much in the way of system clean-ups on Apple installed OS items since MOST are or will be needed. Language stuff.. yea most of that could get trashed without too much worry but I'd really think long and hard about doing much more than that.

Dave