Rumors surface of Apple showing interest in acquiring Twitter

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    wordwisewordwise Posts: 26member
    Unless Apple wants to buy Twitter because they're about to launch a similar service that encroaches any patents that Twitter may hold. May be cheaper/quicker to buy 'em out... ?
  • Reply 42 of 151
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Twitter is the most useless online service yet. I don't see any reason for apple to buy it. Maybe they can somehow integrate it into the iphone, but twitter can just release an app for free. I think twitter will fizzle out within a year or two.
  • Reply 43 of 151
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Not gonna happen. Get real, people. $700m, or more? Please. Let's see some semblance of a profitable business model come from Twitter, then we'll talk acquisition. Apple has better things to do with their cash, such as buying semicondcutor companies and the like. Not unproven "micro-blogging" sites. Let's get a reliable source for these rumors too - the tech blogosphere does not count.

From a business point of view I agree, I don't see them spending the money on it. Too soon after eBay - Skype.

But I'm surprised to see some many people summarily dismiss it as having zero use and more importantly, zero potential, so quickly.
  • Reply 44 of 151
    why ????
  • Reply 45 of 151
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Naaah... I don't see it happening, besides CNN owns 20% of Twitter already.

I can see CNN owning a percentage of Twitter considering most of CNN's programming is as useful at that "arrived at the airport, bought a latte" tweet post.

But watch out when CNN owns 51% of Twitter, then CNN reporters/journalists will actually debate your tweets as opposed to just posting them!

As for others I cannot say, but as for me, sorry, I do not "tweet"!
  • Reply 46 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

Thank God some people here agree with me as to the boringness of Twitter. I think it has its purpose, but telling me whatever mundane task you are up to is something I care nothing about and I have to see that crap to get to the good stuff (that rarely exists in Twitter). I'd rather use email, IM, Facebook, blogs, or any of the other established methods of online communication.

I don't mean to be insulting, but I think one must be really bored to bust out their iPhone and send out a Twitter to all their friends telling them something like "This coffee is really doing the trick" - an actual tweet I once received. Why is there so much tweeting about coffee? I mean, who the F*@# cares? If that's your thing, then cool, but it isn't for me. And yes, I have tried it for a while... and yes, this is just my opinion.

Needless to say, I hope Apple doesn't waste their resources on Twitter. We all know they love it, though. They describe it as a "Triumph of Humanity" on the Apple website.... please.

YES!! Finally someone on my level. I hate the whole Facebook thing myself, I just don't get it. If I want people to know what I'm doing I will pick up the phone and tell them or possibly send them an email. I have to admit I signed up to Twitter to see what all the fuss was about but then I saw it. You get told about the mundane aspects of peoples days. Well that sounds just dandy to me! Surely during the hours of 9-5 people know what I'm doing: WORKING! After 5 if I want to contact people then I will properly contact them, pick up the phone and have a civil conversation and ask them how their day went. It seems that people are losing sight of how to interact as humans.

I can see how Twitter could possibly be adapted to be useful but as it stands at the moment...count me out.
  • Reply 47 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

there is no reason at all to buy twitter. not for apple, at any rate. some stock manipulator is feeding the rumors.

I completely and utterly agree. The fact that this rumor comes out in the same 24-hour period as the rumor about Apple purchasing Electronic Arts should have set everyone's stock manipulation detectors off. Companies purchasing other companies always have their stock value driven down by the transaction (and those being purchased have theirs driven up). Someone wants to push Apple's stock value down to be more easily purchased before it shoots right back up again immediately before WWDC. That's my guess, anyhow. Apple and Twitter doesn't make sense but it'll sure grab headlines; and Apple and EA makes slightly more sense but still not enough to pass my bullsh*t detector.
  • Reply 48 of 151
    Hahahah I love that expression.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

But I'm surprised to see some many people summarily dismiss it as having zero use and more importantly, zero potential, so quickly.

What could an Apple-owned Twitter do that a Twitter iPhone app can't already do? Twitter is a one-trick pony, and that pony hasn't turned a profit yet.
  • Reply 50 of 151
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    Obviously, the only reason Twitter is worth anything is all the users that are there. The technology (or lack thereof) behind twitter is both what makes it great and incredibly easy to duplicate. So, the question that should be asked is why Apple would feel the need to tap into this population. Odds are that Twitter people are already well aware of who Apple is and what they produce. I call BS on this one unless Twitter has some piece of intellectual property Apple can't get around (but that doesn't sound like Apple).
  • Reply 51 of 151
    tectontecton Posts: 31member
    I think this is just a few people playing with the stock market.

Look at apple's approach to the netbook market. "it's a nascent market, we're watching the space carefully"

They don't jump into untested markets. They come in late and try to destroy the weaker competition.

Twitter hasn't earned any money yet and they need to be careful not to lose customers as they turn the advertising tap on and make some money.

No one knows how well they will make that transition. It may be prudent to wait and see how it turns out in the future.

If it works then I'm sure apple will make their own version better integrated into it's music and video message eco system.
  • Reply 52 of 151
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The two companies don't have any synergy - Apple can benefit from Twitter without needing to actually buy the company.

Apple buying Twitter would be as pointless and stupid as ... A company like EBay buying a company like Skype.

C.
  • Reply 53 of 151
    Also, crossposted from the MR thread...

Sounds...almost perverted, somehow.
  • Reply 54 of 151
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    what shocks me is the fact Twitter turned down $500 mil
  • Reply 55 of 151
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Twitter=eyeballs. The business model eventually will include advertising. That some people use this tool in silly ways is irrelevant. If a guy threw a hammer in the air and it landed on his head, would you think hammers are stupid? People will be using Twitter in ways that are not even imagined today. 700 million is chump change if this thing goes into the hundreds of millions of users - which it will. As far as - would less people use it if it included advertising....? Think TV and Google.
  • Reply 56 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The two companies don't have any synergy - Apple can benefit from Twitter without needing to actually buy the company.

Apple buying Twitter would be as pointless and stupid as ... A company like EBay buying a company like Skype.

C.

Ebay should buy Twitter, bundle it with Skype and then auction it off.

Free shipping***
  • Reply 57 of 151
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The two companies don't have any synergy - Apple can benefit from Twitter without needing to actually buy the company. ...

This is not correct IMO. The owners of Twitter have a huge Heart-on for Apple and have said so publicly a few times. I also wouldn't mind betting that most Apple employees are already on Twitter right now. They have great synergy.

More importantly, Apple can't do any kind of integration of Twitter like functionality without buying Twitter. So if indeed they have designs on merging Twitter like functionality into their products or creating an Apple version of Twitter, they *have* to buy the company. The only other option is putting in "hooks" for Twitter, and hoping that the Twitter guys introduce features you want/need and don't embarrass or otherwise screw you up by putting in stuff you don't want/need.

Apple likes to control stuff or they like it to be open (and yet still somewhat under their control). If they have a need for Twitter functionality and especially if they want to integrate it, buying the company would be step 1.

Edit: the more I think about it, if Apple bought Twitter, integrated it into some of their star products, and at the same time made the API open source or whatever, it would probably be a wet dream for the Twitter folks. They don't want to necessarily sell to the highest bidder, they want to see the service become a big deal and go on into the future. Could be the best deal ever from their point of view.
  • Reply 58 of 151
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    These rumours about Apple buying Twitter and/or EA are odd. I can see much more likely buyers for those businesses in Google and The Walt Disney Company. Apple seemingly has more to gain acquiring nVidia,
  • Reply 59 of 151
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Maybe they can buy the Betamax patent from Sony, too. Cause that'll be twitter in a couple of years.
  • Reply 60 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

there is no reason at all to buy twitter. not for apple, at any rate. some stock manipulator is feeding the rumors.

Could be stock manipulation, but again, I have to say I thought of Apple buying Twitter or keeping an eye on it about two months ago. It's growing rapidly, it's useful, it's simple. Something about it seems to make sense. I'm not sure what but I have learned to trust me gut on these things. I'm not always right, but my gut tells me something's going on here. It's like being in love, you can't prove it, but you sense it. Well, let's not get too deep