OSX on beige G3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a 266MHz beige G3, 448MB RAM. Will OS X run accpetably well on this machine? By acceptably well, I mean at least as well as OS 9 is now, speed wise? Additionaly, the app that I use most is Director, which is not available for X, will this run well in Classic? Or will I be booting back into 9? Any advice will be appreciated...

[not sure if this should go here, Current Hardware, or Genius Bar. Feel free to move at your discretion.]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    How much ram do you have? Classic runs OS9 Programs fine. I have heard of people putting OSX on 266mhz G3 iBooks and it runs alright.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>How much ram do you have?</strong><hr></blockquote>

448MB. No graphics card either, just whatever was built in, 6MB VRAM, according to the System Profiler. I'm pretty sure that is the max. So without buying a new card, QE will be of no help, right?

Edit: Come to think of it, of the apps I use the most, Photoshop, Fireworks, Director, Quark, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver, only Illustrator and Dreamweaver are OSX versions, and I don't really have the money right now to replace all of them, so I'll be spending most of my time in Classic. Is it even worth it?

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I have a few (18) Beige "Gossamer" 266 and 333 G3s for FTP servers, and misc. file/print servers (Samba, etc). All of them have between 256 and 768 MB RAM. Jaguar runs great on them (well, pretty good anyway). I have G3's with both the OEM ATI (on board) 6 MB VRAM and a couple with PCI ATI RAGE 128 Pro cards. QE won't run (without hacks), but Jag is still pretty smooth for low-volume network related stuff. I wouldn't dare play games or run graphics apps, but hey- that's what the Quicksilver's are for!

The Beige G3 lives on!