AT&T releases free iPhone app for managing wireless accounts

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T this week introduced a free iPhone app that lets customers manage their family and individual wireless accounts directly from their iPhone.

The exclusive U.S. iPhone service provider said the application, dubbed myWireless Mobile (free, App Store), is intended to supplement its popular web-based myWireless portal that's used by millions of subscribers looking to review their monthly statements, usage statistics and make changes to their plans.

Among the application's core features is a "Bill and Pay" function that lets customers review their monthly bill in full and make one-touch payments, as well as a "Voice and Data Usage" option for keeping track of voice minutes, text messages and data usage.

The password-authenticated application can also be used to browse, change and easily add features to a wireless account, as well as update payment information and download monthly bills in PDF format.

"Our new AT&T myWireless Mobile app gives iPhone customers more freedom to manage, customize and update their wireless voice and data needs whenever and wherever," said David Huntley, senior vice president, eCommerce & Sales Centers, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets.

The application will prominently display current balance and due dates, as well as last payment information. Customers can make full or partial payments through the app and select payment methods such as previously used checking accounts and credit cards. New payment preferences can also be added through the app.

For parents managing several AT&T accounts through a family plan, the myWireless Mobile app will display voice and data usage across all accounts and break voice minutes down to Anytime, Night & Weekend, Mobile to Mobile and Rollover usage.

Customers wishing to download the myWireless Mobile app must already have an existing myWireless service account, which can set up through AT&T's website. The same username and password for that account will provide account access through the iPhone app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    I know apps like this aren't particularly sexy or exciting, but I love crap like this. Even ignoring the payment options, easily being able to see where you are on minutes and text messages is extremely useful.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Innovative. Orange limit themselves to the web site skin specially designed for mobile devices.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    griptiongription Posts: 2member
    When I click on usage within the app I get "Error: U1534 Voice Usage has not posted on your account." But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?
  • Reply 4 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AT&T's getting ready for texting charges. This way you have no excuse when that monthly bill hits you- its all there for you to manage.

Remember - you'll get charged when your non-iPhone friends text you.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    I wish other carriers would be as innovative (or shall I say original).

This is one heck of a good idea
  • Reply 6 of 57
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Whoa, somebody at AT&T realized you can write "apps" for this gadget!

Maybe next they'll do something to beef up their PHONE network....... ...something else a few people would like to use mobile phones for, i.e., to be mobile and actually on the phone.

snark, snark......
  • Reply 7 of 57
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Maybe next they'll do something to beef up their PHONE network....... ...something else a few people would like to use mobile phones for, i.e., to be mobile and actually on the phone.

snark, snark......

From your lips to AT&T's ears . . .
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I wish other carriers would be as innovative (or shall I say original).

This is one heck of a good idea

You aren't serious - are you?

Managing accounts must be that difficult in Europe , I guess.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    What a great little app. You can tell they spent some time on it. The graphics are nice (check out that little paisley graphic on the splash screen and the moiré background on all the pages).

The BofA app people should take a look at this app. This is done right. The BofA app is a glorified web browser with a slow, archaic interface pasted on it.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    It's time to stop naming things myThis and myThat. Naming is important, a prefix that doesn't differentiate is a waste of space in an interface. Like the way every Office app used to be labeled in the Start menu, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, etc. Don't know if they do that anymore.

And some podcasts that you want to download on the iPhone aren't named / labeled / presented properly do you know the name of the episode you're looking at. Like Macbreak Weekly.

</rant>

Looking forward to seeing more and more of these apps.

I wonder if aapl is down today because the Kindle illustrates some problems with tablets. Like how they can look unwieldy. I hope not, I really want a 6 x 8 Apple tablet. Please let those rumored 10" displays be for a tablet.

</scattered_comment>
  • Reply 11 of 57
    cima113cima113 Posts: 12member
    Ok so its been three years of exclusive rights to the iPhone and now they write a "PAY me" billing app?

So Sad
  • Reply 12 of 57
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

The BofA app people should take a look at this app. This is done right. The BofA app is a glorified web browser with a slow, archaic interface pasted on it.

I was totally disappointed by the BofA app and its lack of functionality.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    So, does this mean I wasted my money on the "Cell Tracker" app? I'll compare in a few minutes.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    atlasboyatlasboy Posts: 17member
    This should make it easier to check your phone upgrade status, and order the new Iphone (by extending your contract i'm sure). Maybe they will even ship it so you don't have to wait in line. Swap the sim card and away you go.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Sheesh. About time. I am surprised that it has taken them so long (and equally surprised that some people think it is somehow 'innovative' when it is so late in the game).
  • Reply 16 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gription View Post

When I click on usage within the app I get "Error: U1534 Voice Usage has not posted on your account." But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

I get this sometimes when I go to their website to check usage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

snark, snark......

They spent their billions creating this app. Now that it's done their start funneling any left over money into updating a tower.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I wish my bank would produce an iPhone app. They have a mobile site that is more difficult to read on an iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I can guess why Apple didn't name their service "Me on Cloud (#N)"
  • Reply 18 of 57
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    It looks cool and simple to use... But I am sure that they needed to created or get trained people over a call center to help people that can get messed up by simple things. lol
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cima113 View Post

Ok so its been three years of exclusive rights to the iPhone and now they write a "PAY me" billing app?

So Sad

And they keep overtaxing their already lousy network with all those other new 3G phones they relentlessly advertise and now netbooks added under their umbrella. It is rather sad for the iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They spent their billions creating this app. Now that it's done their start funneling any left over money into updating a tower.

That would be called a patch - as opposed to building a new tower like Verizon has been doing.