AT&T releases free iPhone app for managing wireless accounts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cima113 View Post

Ok so its been three years of exclusive rights to the iPhone and now they write a "PAY me" billing app?

So Sad

Just under two years, actually, but the App Store has only been out for 9 months and you've been able to see your AT&T account from your iPhone's account settings (when it links to Safari) since day one. It was probably one of those things they didn't think was needed, wanted or they just wanted people to go their site for access. Who knows, maybe they weren't sure if they could do a proper app while providing the same web portal security without restructuring. Regardless, it's here now and they are not late to the game against the dozens of other carriers with exclusivity to the iPhone. Is there one even another carrier with a phone app?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    boyracerboyracer Posts: 5member
    It would be great if Rogers created a similar app for Canadian customers.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I know apps like this aren't particularly sexy or exciting, but I love crap like this. Even ignoring the payment options, easily being able to see where you are on minutes and text messages is extremely useful.

I thought since this was being provided by the Carrier it would have all the Bells and Whistles needed to monitor your usage. But, all it appears to be is a front to push additional products on the customer and it even asks you to pay your bill from the App. It doesn't even provide up to date usage information as does the first usage monitoring App at the App Store "Cell Tracker". I was hoping since it was coming from the Carrier security of user information would be better not knowing the originator of the third party Apps and their commitment to keeping our customer information SAFE. For now I'm going to continue using the "Cell Tracker" App and when AT&T gets their Corporate Act together and provides a user friendly and useful App I'll Switch.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That would be called a patch - as opposed to building a new tower like Verizon has been doing.

I do sincerely wish that one day you'll be right about something, but apparently that isn't today.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Jolly keen for O₂ to get one of these out of the door. Would be extremely handy.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Password authentication approach is ugly. No cellphone is designed for precision typing. Neither is iPhone. PITA.

Orange does it better. No sensitive information exchange with phone - no need in password protection. The device is identified by something, which browser sends along with the request (not by cookies).

It might have been even easier and safer with applications, yet ATT missed their chance to be perfectly user-friendly.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoyRacer View Post

It would be great if Rogers created a similar app for Canadian customers.

i second that!
  • Reply 28 of 57
    bytorbytor Posts: 29member
    This makes no sense...what charges are there if you have unlimited txting.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Password authentication approach is ugly. No cellphone is designed for precision typing. Neither is iPhone. PITA.

Orange does it better. No sensitive information exchange with phone - no need in password protection.

Ditto. I would've preferred 4-digit passcode authentication instead.

The Home screen is rather unnecessary, served only for their banner ads.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytor View Post

You can get plans with AT&T that don't have unlimited texting.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    They took their sweet time over this. I wonder how long until O2 get around to doing this?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

The Home screen is rather unnecessary, served only for their banner ads.

They advertise on the home screen? "Oh, les salauds!" Not that it's big deal for me, that's how they get their developers paid.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    ransonranson Posts: 69member
    What's really short-sighted about this App is that they've flagged it for iPhone only, so it I can't install it to my iPod Touch. I'm an AT&T Customer, and I have an iPod Touch, but I don't have an iPhone, so I can't use this app. BUT I can borrow my friend's iPhone to log in to my wireless account through this app (it uses the myWirelss login credentials from their site as opposed to some kind of IMEI authentication), so there seems to be no real reason it shouldn't work on an iTouch.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

You aren't serious - are you?

Managing accounts must be that difficult in Europe , I guess.

No I was not joking. This integrated bit is quite advanced for us peasants from/living in Belgium.

I get my bill once a month and have to cough up - far more then you do and I had to pay my iPhone full price too. No hard feelings though - as I get to put in a(ny) pre paid card when abroad thus avoiding prices of up to 20 Euro (24$) per MB....
  • Reply 35 of 57
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytor View Post

I don't have unlimited texting. I bought the "200 texts for $5" monthly plan. I'll never exceed my phone minutes or data, so texting is the only way I can go over. I just used the app to see I went 29 texts over last month and am already 3/4 of the way toward my 200 limit this month. It became useful in the first 2 minutes I had it.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Does this not work with business accounts? Won't let me log in.
  • Reply 37 of 57

The Usage chart would be a lot more useful if you also see where in your billing cycle you are.

"Used 500 of 550" is fine on the last day of your billing cycle.

"Used 500 of 550" is NOT GOOD on the first day of your billing cycle.

They should put it in context by having a billing cycle chart directly below.
    Anytime Minutes

????????????????????????? .....

Used 458 of 550

Billing Cycle

????????????????????..........

Day 20 of 30
    Now you can intuitively see that you are using too many minutes.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

That would be called a patch - as opposed to building a new tower like Verizon has been doing.

Speaking as someone who works in the industry, your complaining and whining here should be directed to the wonderful city leaders and local advocates who routinely torpedo any applications the carriers make for new towers in their cities and counties. Usually it's for aesthetics and health concerns (however unfounded that may be).

It does no good for the carrier to complain, the City sees them as evil. It's when their citizens and constituents complain LOUDLY and A LOT that they take notice.

You can complain about AT&T all you like. New towers are not that easy to site. Just ask your local city council person.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sheesh. About time. I am surprised that it has taken them so long (and equally surprised that some people think it is somehow 'innovative' when it is so late in the game).

Agreed. Heck, I figured AT&T would be one of the FIRST App Store developers. "Eat your own dog food" much?

I do like the app. Very handy. Kinda late in the game, but its still cool.

Just imagine if they charged 99 cents for it. :-)
  • Reply 40 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Actually, a pretty great and practical app. ALL wireless providers should do this.