Apple to replace water-damaged iPhones for $199

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Get the indicators on your Nokia or any other brand of phone wet from any source including humidity (which will also enter removeable battery covers) and it's liquid immersion, warranty void, tough luck pal go buy a new phone at full price.

No other manufacturer offers anything like this.

Not true- my friend dropped his $150 phone in the toilet last month 1 1/2 years after purchase and Verizon gave him a new one for $50 without a new contract. There.

One Verizon store however was going to make him pay but another one gave him a break.

It's not only the manufacturer but the carrier as well who gives the break.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    jlf278jlf278 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

A lot of people say those LSI are easy to trigger but they do in fact range from light pink to dark dark red. I've seen an Apple Store deal with a submerged phone. The sensors on the bottom were dark red but despite this they also checked the inside ones to give the guy a fair chance. All 4 were dark dark red, not a result of humidity or casually laying it in some water on a table.

People who want to be able to destroy their iPhone & get it replaced free need to look into a 3rd party insurer, they do exist. Some insurance companies like Travelers or State Farm will actually insure phones, definitely worth it if you are accident prone.

My wife recently took her iPhone in to the Apple Store and was told that her 1 year warranty is now void because the water damage mark in the headphone jack is pink. It is definitely light pink, not red at all. It has never been in contact with water except or possibly sweat or being taken out briefly in a light drizzle. These are circumstances that should not void the apple warranty. We need a class action law-suit. Consumer reports should inspect few dozen iPhones at random from people who have used them for 6-18 months and see how many have all four LSI white.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    if i drop my touch pro in the toilet sprint sends me another one for $50 (I pay 7 dollars a month for insurance.)

So after 2 years of service, I will have paid $168 for peace of mind. And God forbid I need to replace it. So another 50 on that is $218. I'd say these water damage prices are very fair then.

The only upside to my insurance is my phone costs more (300 with 2 year contract) and I can replace it if the phone is lost or stolen, not to mention damaged.

Either way Apple is on the right track. Best Buy sells insurance for an extra 15 a month, but it's very limited (if the phone gets lost or stolen or damaged by water you're SOL, so what's the point?)
  • Reply 24 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    That would have been done at the store level, one of the workers probably picked up up a few quick bucks on the side by pulling one out of the recycle bin.

People aren't always truthful about what happens to their things, which is why they started putting the indicators in a few years ago, when you point them out it's amusing to watch the story change.

I've worked in a phone store for eight years and have seen thousands of warranty repair rejections, the repair centres even take photo's of evidence of fluid ingress when rejecting warranty claims.

Apple is the first manfacturer I've see who do this, on the 12th of July last year I had a customer come back with a smashed screen, I sent it off as a non warranty repair and the phone was replaced for $A275 i.e. $US199.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not true- my friend dropped his $150 phone in the toilet last month 1 1/2 years after purchase and Verizon gave him a new one for $50 without a new contract. There.

One Verizon store however was going to make him pay but another one gave him a break.

It's not only the manufacturer but the carrier as well who gives the break.

• Reply 25 of 44
    jcw5002jcw5002 Posts: 37member
    I think this applies for cracked screens, too. My buddy cracked his screen and they let him pay the subsidized price if he extended his contract (not sure if he had to do this) and gave them the old phone back. Not a bad deal.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

That would have been done at the store level, one of the workers probably picked up up a few quick bucks on the side by pulling one out of the recycle bin.

People aren't always truthful about what happens to their things, which is why they started putting the indicators in a few years ago, when you point them out it's amusing to watch the story change.

I've worked in a phone store for eight years and have seen thousands of warranty repair rejections, the repair centres even take photo's of evidence of fluid ingress when rejecting warranty claims.

Apple is the first manfacturer I've see who do this, on the 12th of July last year I had a customer come back with a smashed screen, I sent it off as a non warranty repair and the phone was replaced for $A275 i.e. $US199.

teckstud said verizon replaced his friends' 1 1/2 year old phone for 50 bucks, but that's probably just what the price dropped to in that period of time. When the RAZR first came out, I got it through t-mobile for 100 bucks at sign up (if I remember correctly) and about a year or so later I jumped in a pool with it by accident. T mobile sold me a brand new one for 50 bucks (accessories and all.)

Apple might be the first manufacturer to have such a lenient policy on water damage, but that doesn't mean people can't get new phones from their service providers for decent prices.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

if i drop my touch pro in the toilet sprint sends me another one for $50 (I pay 7 dollars a month for insurance.)

So after 2 years of service, I will have paid $168 for peace of mind. And God forbid I need to replace it. So another 50 on that is $218. I'd say these water damage prices are very fair then.

The only upside to my insurance is my phone costs more (300 with 2 year contract) and I can replace it if the phone is lost or stolen, not to mention damaged.

Either way Apple is on the right track. Best Buy sells insurance for an extra 15 a month, but it's very limited (if the phone gets lost or stolen or damaged by water you're SOL, so what's the point?)

Does your phone insurance have a deductible ??
  • Reply 28 of 44
    logicallogical Posts: 11member
    My wife was using her iPhone while drinking coffee one morning. She put the phone in her robe pocket, and then some time later, spilled the coffee on her robe. You got it! Robe (and phone) in wash. 30 minute wash cycle, detergents, etc....back and forth, work it in, all good and wet.

Well, she pulled the robe out of the wash and the phone dropped onto the floor. Tears, panic, OMG, what have I done. Click, click, nada. It was bricked. A nice new fancy toy for our 5 year old. She loved it.

So we went out and got a new phone (an upgrade to 3G, which she liked). Chaching...expensive mistake.

About 4 days later, my daughter brought her new toy over and said, "daddy, look." 100% functional, except for calls because the contract was transferred to a new phone. Everything works on the phone as it should. Not one single problem. My mom now has a gen 1 iPhone without a contract, for free.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logical View Post

My wife was using her iPhone while drinking coffee one morning. She put the phone in her robe pocket, and then some time later, spilled the coffee on her robe. You got it! Robe (and phone) in wash. 30 minute wash cycle, detergents, etc....back and forth, work it in, all good and wet.

Well, she pulled the robe out of the wash and the phone dropped onto the floor. Tears, panic, OMG, what have I done. Click, click, nada. It was bricked. A nice new fancy toy for our 5 year old. She loved it.

So we went out and got a new phone (an upgrade to 3G, which she liked). Chaching...expensive mistake.

About 4 days later, my daughter brought her new toy over and said, "daddy, look." 100% functional, except for calls because the contract was transferred to a new phone. Everything works on the phone as it should. Not one single problem. My mom now has a gen 1 iPhone without a contract, for free.

And that, as Paul Harvey used to say "Is the rest of the story."
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

it's really hit or miss going to the store . I find with a pro-care card thing's goes better .Never lie to apple sales people in the store .Never.

I had an ipod go bad after a hard bang, Kinda my fault .It showed a tiny tiny ding . Phone support was no help .

Apple store no help . So I bought a new one Same model 2 or 3rd gen . 2 months later this one goes weird the charge would bleed out in minutes and the pod got very hot . I went back to the store . The sales person replaced it .

and he remembered me from before . he took my extended warranty care from the second pod and switched to the first banged pod

So I walk out that day with 2 new ipods . Of course I got 1 gen behind models, but who cares .

Some weeks later while buying the 13 in black mac book . I dropped a fifty dollars tip that apple sales person . I mention that I had 5 laptops of various models and disrepair .

That sales person took all 5 laptops in.

he called that night told me to buy 3x 120 g hd's from best buy. wow from 80 g to 120 g

I brought these over to him . 2 weeks later, I went back and was floored to see that he had cannibalized 2 of the 5 laptops completely for spare parts and fixed the final 3 laptops with all new hd and extra parts .

All 3 laptops worked better than ever . He got a 300 tip for that . Although he did it for the love of mac .

So sometimes your fucked for no reason or fault of yours and sometimes its all your fault and they replace it for free .

I learned from this that always buy a pro-care card . Always buy something from the store < a mouse or something cheap > when you want them to replace a broken product that may be your fault.

I also learned how easy it is to switch out your hard drive .

I now have a 500 g Samsung triple hard drive in my black 13 in macbook.

500 g !!! un-fucking real. Which means I can download movie's<tv shows and video pod casts all day long and keep them .

And it now hold's 18 g of photo 85 g of music 200 g of movie with a 2nd back up part-ion drive of a 100 g .

I am not bragging here its just that I am so stupid about computers that I am proud that I got this far .

peace

sorry long post
  • Reply 31 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

it's really hit or miss going to the store . I find with a pro-care card thing's goes better .Never lie to apple sales people in the store .Never.

I had an ipod go bad after a hard bang, Kinda my fault .It showed a tiny tiny ding . Phone support was no help .

Apple store no help . So I bought a new one Same model 2 or 3rd gen . 2 months later this one goes weird the charge would bleed out in minutes and the pod got very hot . I went back to the store . The sales person replaced it .

and he remembered me from before . he took my extended warranty care from the second pod and switched to the first banged pod

So I walk out that day with 2 new ipods . Of course I got 1 gen behind models, but who cares .

Some weeks later while buying the 13 in black mac book . I dropped a fifty dollars tip that apple sales person . I mention that I had 5 laptops of various models and disrepair .

That sales person took all 5 laptops in.

he called that night told me to buy 3x 120 g hd's from best buy. wow from 80 g to 120 g

I brought these over to him . 2 weeks later, I went back and was floored to see that he had cannibalized 2 of the 5 laptops completely for spare parts and fixed the final 3 laptops with all new hd and extra parts .

All 3 laptops worked better than ever . He got a 300 tip for that . Although he did it for the love of mac .

So sometimes your fucked for no reason or fault of yours and sometimes its all your fault and they replace it for free .

I learned from this that always buy a pro-care card . Always buy something from the store < a mouse or something cheap > when you want them to replace a broken product that may be your fault.

I also learned how easy it is to switch out your hard drive .

I now have a 500 g Samsung triple hard drive in my black 13 in macbook.

500 g !!! un-fucking real. Which means I can download movie's<tv shows and video pod casts all day long and keep them .

And it now hold's 18 g of photo 85 g of music 200 g of movie with a 2nd back up part-ion drive of a 100 g .

I am not bragging here its just that I am so stupid about computers that I am proud that I got this far .

peace

sorry long post

How to use punctuation properly
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Does your phone insurance have a deductible ??

Yeah the $50 I mentioned. If I never have to replace my phone, I will have paid $168 in two years for peace of mind (7 a month.) If I do have to replace it, I can replace it as many times as I want with a $50 deductible. With my history of inadvertently damaging my phones through pure stupidity, this was something I seriously considered between the iphone and touch pro.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logical View Post

LOL! Well, the funny thing about little devices like mobile phones and cameras is if you take the battery out, and let them dry completely without powering them on, most of the time you can get away with it and they will function. The problem is though, they seem to function normally at first, but over time, depending on what liquid got on the device, corrosion builds up and causes the thing to die.

When I jumped in the pool with my razr, I let it dry out and it worked perfect for about a month, then it slowly started messing up. The charger stopped working randomly (even with new battery) the screen would flicker, the phone would suddenly start hitting keys and calling people on my speed dial. This all happened very slowly and I contribute it to the water damage it received some time earlier.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

LOL! Well, the funny thing about little devices like mobile phones and cameras is if you take the battery out, and let them dry completely without powering them on, most of the time you can get away with it and they will function. The problem is though, they seem to function normally at first, but over time, depending on what liquid got on the device, corrosion builds up and causes the thing to die.

When I jumped in the pool with my razr, I let it dry out and it worked perfect for about a month, then it slowly started messing up. The charger stopped working randomly (even with new battery) the screen would flicker, the phone would suddenly start hitting keys and calling people on my speed dial. This all happened very slowly and I contribute it to the water damage it received some time earlier.

The pool is has many conductive and corrosive elements in the water. I have pretty good luck with fixing devices that have gotten submerged in the ocean but I have always taken them as full apart as I could, rinsed them well with distilled water and let them dry sufficiently before even trying to start it up again. I found that a dashboard of a car is great for evaporating water very quickly from miniscule components but you do have to watch it if it's a hot dry.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    wolviewolvie Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icebike View Post

I've been to the apple store many times and I have NEVER seen them take an iPhone apart in order to see the internal water sensors.

I have a friend who had a phone in for one of the 2.0 software bugs and they claimed it was water damaged. (I was standing right there with him. The earphone sensor was tripped and the bottom dock sensor was still white. My buddy said the phone had never gotten wet, but had been in damp locations (steamy bathrooms, etc).

So we suggested they check the two additional sensors inside the phone.

The "Geniuses" all claimed there were only two sensors, one in each end of the phone. We stepped over to the Macs on display and surfed up the web pages showing exactly where the two additional sensors were located.

The Geniuses then changed their story and steadfastly refused to open the phone to check these sensors. They insisted any one sensor being tripped was cause enough to void the warranty, and they had strict instructions never to open the phones.

So in short, I think you made it up about them checking the other 2 in store. It just does not happen.

To my knowledge, I believe that Apple starting opening phones (3G anyway) a few weeks ago. I was in a store where a persons phone had a bad screen. The genius said they would replace the display so the person could keep their data. This tells me they are opening them up- how else could you replace the display?

I also saw one coming out of the back and saying the two internal indicators had been tripped as well. One thing I heard him say was that it doesn't matter if one or four indicators are tripped- all it takes is one to observe that at least part of the phone got liquid in/on it.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Yeah the $50 I mentioned. If I never have to replace my phone, I will have paid $168 in two years for peace of mind (7 a month.) If I do have to replace it, I can replace it as many times as I want with a $50 deductible. With my history of inadvertently damaging my phones through pure stupidity, this was something I seriously considered between the iphone and touch pro.

i am also bad with phones .and verizon always found a way to screw me over .so i left after so many years

i was contract free!!

they called me back w/ no contract and a low rate for my phone .the phone is free and i pay 70 dollars for 2 lines <<my wife also >>

i wish verizon got the iphone

peace
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? How to use punctuation properly

mation-mark-end-line.html

<<< before soli bitched >>>

dude that line you're crossing is a wide one .Stop insulting me . if my best is not ok then too bad.

you seem like a well respected member here .and you have a ton of posts .if your going to continue this asine shit then just leave me a note to me to leave the forum and i will fucking leave .life is too short to fight on the internet .

<<< after soli bitched >>>

Dude that line you're crossing is a wide one .Stop insulting me . If my best is not ok then too bad.

you seem like a well respected member here. and you have a ton of posts .if you're going to continue this asine shit then just leave me a note to me to leave the forum and i will fucking leave .life is too short to fight on the internet.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

mation-mark-end-line.html

<<< before soli bitched >>>

dude that line you're crossing is a wide one .Stop insulting me . if my best is not ok then too bad.

you seem like a well respected member here .and you have a ton of posts .if your going to continue this asine shit then just leave me a note to me to leave the forum and i will fucking leave .life is too short to fight on the internet .

<<< after soli bitched >>>

Dude that line you're crossing is a wide one .Stop insulting me . If my best is not ok then too bad.

you seem like a well respected member here. and you have a ton of posts .if you're going to continue this asine shit then just leave me a note to me to leave the forum and i will fucking leave .life is too short to fight on the internet.

I'm not insulting you, either you are doing it on purpose or you don't know better. Since it's been pointed out to you how to use punctuation correctly its clear it's intentional so I won't be posting any other such links.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not insulting you, either you are doing it on purpose or you don't know better. Since it's been pointed out to you how to use punctuation correctly its clear it's intentional so I won't be posting any other such links.

AGAIN DUDE CAN YOU NOT SEE A BIG IMPROVEMENT FROM WHEN YOU FIRST MENTIONED IT ??

THAT MEANS I LISTENED TO YOU AND TOOK YOU ADVICE .I THEN STATED TWICE THAT THIS IS AS GOOD AS I CAN DO . IF A DOT OFF SPACED WHATS THE BIG DEAL . ?? I WOULD RATHER TALK TO YOU ABOUT APPLE AND TECH STUFF THAN THIS DRIBBLE .

ok

<bruce stomps off the forum in a dramatic huff >>>

trips and opens hulu ........hmmmm i did miss lost last week ......
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

i did miss lost last week ......

don't forget, there's an episode tonight lol