Chinese rumor claims 2009 iPhone will be modest upgrade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We know they manipulated the photo to cross out serial number. Saving it from the native PNG to JPG could have added the artifacts.

i'm not an image pro, so it's probably easy for me to buy your explanation. nevertheless, i'm still surprised by the selective concentration of artifacts around the text.
  • Reply 22 of 172
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

I find it hard to believe that there won't be any changes to the form.

I know the Mac side moves more slowly, but the iPod side of Apple is always evolving the look..

You mean the way Apple has improved the Mini look over time?

Or the Intel iMac Look?

Or the PowerMac G5... oops! I mean the Mac Pro Look?

Oh, that's right, there hasn't been much of a change, if any, in those.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

downloaded the original image & messed around with image levels in Pixelmator... this is what came up.

is this normal?

or does anyone think that this is just some (un)imaginative photoshop-job?

It's a jpg. That's EXACTLY what you would expect from a jpg.

Those are compression artifacts.
  • Reply 24 of 172
    Quote:

well, the rumors may be true... but the image certainly has the marks of digital manipulation!

just my $0.02

Not really.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    Quote:

i'm not an image pro, so it's probably easy for me to buy your explanation. nevertheless, i'm still surprised by the selective concentration of artifacts around the text.

That is precisely where artifacts are concentrated. It's the detailed areas in an image that have artifacts clustered around them. Blank areas will show none.
  • Reply 26 of 172
    thomaspinthomaspin Posts: 35member
    Excellent 'reporting', thank you.

This is the sort of thing that is simply accelerating the death of newsprint, WSJ, NYT and all. Sure, there's a lot of rumor here, but that only speeds the viral discovery process of the truth - a powerful mechanism not available to traditional news media.

And I do so hope all those rumors are true! My 7/1/2007 iPhone is getting tired and I'm dying for the iPharma .... or is that the iTablet?

BTW, I started reading AI when Apple sued you - now that's what I call a recommendation.
  • Reply 27 of 172
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Whatever.

I'm fine with finding out in June. These rumours are really wearing thin. But they certainly make for a fun story . . . over and over and over again.
  • Reply 28 of 172
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That is precisely where artifacts are concentrated. It's the detailed areas in an image that have artifacts clustered around them. Blank areas will show none.

thanks for clarifying!
  • Reply 29 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    You guys do realize that I can make an image like that in 10 minutes with the iPhone SDK...
  • Reply 30 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

You guys do realize that I can make an image like that in 10 minutes with the iPhone SDK...

And...?
  • Reply 31 of 172
    nimrod323nimrod323 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ph0en1x View Post

People do get access to the phones. I was able to play around with an iphone 3G last year two months before it came out, i was chatting to a guy that worked for one of the telco's that was doing testing in Australia. They are out there and some will remember the prototypes that have been seen of the first iphone (they were black)

I do hope that a new one does not come out this year as you will start getting people a little angry bringing out new phones every 12 months, I would suggest work on the software over the hardware, build that up and spend the extra time coming out with a phone with 4g technology, far better cameras, tiered product releases and pure integration to both mac and windows.... just my 2 cents

Having a new phone every 12 months is a long period IMHO. Look at others like Nokia or SE,they come up with new phones every month or quarter, if anyone should be angry those who use those phones should be pretty mad. The only way apple can compete with rival phone companies is to make the iphone better not only in terms of software but also performance wise as in, new hardwares.
  • Reply 32 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nimrod323 View Post

Having a new phone every 12 months is a long period IMHO. Look at others like Nokia or SE,they come up with new phones every month or quarter, if anyone should be angry those who use those phones should.

It is unique that other companies can come with products more rapidly than Apple but as soon as a new Apple product emerges in their typical 6-12 month cycle people get pissed and feel slighted. Is it because other companies have such confusing product lines, because Apple is so secretive (despite the clues to releases being present), make the customer feel like they are losing their elitist feel, and/or something else?
  • Reply 33 of 172
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nimrod323 View Post

Having a new phone every 12 months is a long period IMHO. Look at others like Nokia or SE,they come up with new phones every month or quarter, if anyone should be angry those who use those phones should be pretty mad. The only way apple can compete with rival phone companies is to make the iphone better not only in terms of software but also performance wise as in, new hardwares.

Nokia?? LOL, those other also-rans churn out derviatives and knock-offs so easily because they are nowhere near the iPhone experience. Not even in the same league, with their horrible interfaces, etc.

And Apple IS competing with rival phone makers, and quite impressively, too. Where have you been for the last year??
  • Reply 34 of 172
    为什么在中国用ATT的网络?

Why is that ATT if he is in China?
  • Reply 35 of 172
    zpeskzpesk Posts: 1member
    the iPhone OS comes in well under a gigabyte. If this a 32GB device, why would the max capacity be about 29GB? iPhone OS is not 3GB!!
  • Reply 36 of 172
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The upgrades mentioned from the original article seem plausible because they aren't going crazy like most of these rumors. Everything mentioned was either something that we expect within a margin or error or was something we know now exists, like the integrated FM capable radio chip. But I can't see Apple enabling that aspect even if they do use that chip and I find no case changes a big hard to swallow. Using the same processor and no display resolution changes could happen, but it seems that a better CPU again under-clocked would offer more power savings, and the display resolution would be fine in and of itself if every new smartphone wasn't trouncing Apple's display resolution so I can't imagine a 3rd year at 480x320. Anyone know if the iPhone SDK is designed to scale dpi without issue, using the same screen size as a constant.

The thing with rumours also is that we often assume they are either the plain truth or a nefarious attempt to deceive, when in fact a lot of them are a bit of both, somewhere in the middle, or an incompetently re-transmitted rumour.

In saying the screen is "the same" it might mean it's the same part or it might just mean it looked the same to the person reporting it. In saying that it has an FM radio, he/she might just be reporting on that FM capable radio chip rumour that someone told them, or they may have actually seen an FM Radio app (hope not though).

I don't see anything in this rumour that is so unreasonable as to explicitly mark it as false but I'm hoping some of it was garbled or misunderstood.
  • Reply 37 of 172
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zpesk View Post

the iPhone OS comes in well under a gigabyte. If this a 32GB device, why would the max capacity be about 29GB? iPhone OS is not 3GB!!

32 GB is 32,000,000,000 bytes. Computers read the data in binary codes, which means 1 thousand is not 1000 but rather 1024. So take 32,000,000,000 and divide that number by 1024, then 1024 again, and then 1024 again and you'll get that number. 29.8 GB formatted capacity (computer recognized number). Minus the OS and you'll get roughly 29 GB of available space.

For example:

Your 8GB iPhone has only 7.45 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you get 7.08GB of free space, I think.

Your 16GB iPhone has only 14.9 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you'd have about 14.53 GB of available space.

OS 3.0 might be a lot more space hungry, so it uses up .6 GB instead of .37GB like OS 2.x? I don't know for sure. But that number sounds right to me. At least if it's fake, the person who did it already did his/her homework.
  • Reply 38 of 172
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And...?

Well, I guess the "And" would be that this rumor is reasonably plausible in that it hits pretty much all of the points of conservative conventional wisdom, but as the "screenshot" is trivially easy to make there is zero evidence that this is anything more than just another dude yanking our chain.
  • Reply 39 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    My point exactly Addabox.

Apple even provides in 3.0 a shortcut to make those types of rows... It would literally take me two minutes to write an app to simulate that...
  • Reply 40 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltaylormade View Post

I have to admit, I don't always read every post here despite them coming up on my google reader, but this one caught my eye. I loved the writing style so just felt the need to comment!

Wow it's hard, for me to figure out, why you might like, the writing style.

I'm in a coma of commas.