SlingPlayer for iPhone to sell for $30 and support WiFi only

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple sometime in the next 24 hours will release Sling Media's highly anticipated SlingPlayer application for the iPhone onto its App Store but the software will arrive without 3G wireless support, AppleInsider has been able to confirm.

Formally announced at January's Macworld Expo, the SlingPlayer Mobile application promised to allow iPhone users to stream live television over WiFi or 3G wireless networks by tapping into home TV setups equipped with a Slingbox.*A built-in remote control function would reportedly allow for channel surfing and DVR setup.

Sling Media submitted the application to the App Store nearly six weeks ago but it has thus far failed to see approval amid rumors that AT&T had asked Apple to deny the software in its original form because the carrier was concerned about the app's potential to saturate its 3G network.

Those rumors appear to have been true. AppleInsider spoke to SlingMedia on Tuesday and confirmed that Apple will push the application onto the App Store sometime between 12:00 a.m. and 6:00 am eastern time tomorrow. However, it won't be the version of the application originally submitted with support for 3G and EDGE streaming.

Instead, the version Apple approved is WiFi-only. It will sell for $29.99 in the US and Canada, and 17.99 British pounds overseas. Officially, the application will support the SlingBox PRO, SOLO, and PRO-HD. Legacy Slingboxes, which include the Classic, AV, and TUNER, will also work with the app but Sling Media won't provide any service for technical problems with these products, including problems caused by updates to SlingPlayer Mobile software, Slingbox hardware, or iPhone firmware.

Sling Media's concession to release its iPhone app as WiFi-only is surprising given that a version of SlingPlayer runs on several other AT&T devices over 3G like the BlackBerry Bold. With a $30 price tag and a WiFi-only limitation, it will be interesting to see how well the application fares in its first week on the App Store, especially since its lack of wireless network access is likely to curb its appeal, forcing users to find a hotspot before streaming video.

Some have theorized that AT&T's motives for asking Apple to deny a 3G capable version of the application may be more closely tied to the carrier's plan to launch a similar 3G service than any potential concerns over network saturation. The AT&T service would reportedly allow iPhone users to steer video recorders for its U-verse digital TV offering from their handsets.

AppleInsider has been testing SlingPlayer for the iPhone for the past several weeks and will publish a full review shortly after the application becomes available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Apple & AT&T = A**holes.

This is ridiculous. I'm glad to get the app, but ONLY wi-fi?

My pocket PC runs sling over it's EV-DO connection. WTF?
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Apple & AT&T = A**holes.

I'll say two words: Jailbreak, VoIPover3G
  • Reply 3 of 79
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Apple & AT&T = A**holes.

If there were 30 million pocket PCs with EVDO that ATT thought would use Sling, they would outlaw that as well. I'm OK with it - it will prevent this app from saturating the network and hurting my (and the other 90% of users who don't use sling) service.

That said, it seems like an awesome thing and I'd now consider getting a slingbox.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    that's it
  • Reply 5 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    For all those who claimed Apple had rejected the app because of AT&T.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Why doesn't Apple release 10.5.7 sometime in the next 24 hours? Sheesh!
  • Reply 7 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You already know the answer you just want to complain about something.

Pocket PC has no web marketshare and does not have the same problems as the iPhone.

Quote:

Apple & AT&T = A**holes.

• Reply 8 of 79
    I've been eagerly anticipating the SlingPlayer app for my iPhone ever since I upgraded from a Palm Treo (which had slingplayer) - I LOVE my Slingbox!

Making it "WiFi only" has killed my purchase of the app. At that point, it's not worth it because I'd have to find a hotspot, pay the fee (if it's not free) JUST to watch TV remotely? It makes more sense (to me) now just to use my laptop when I'm traveling and watch from my room. So that means no airport Sling watching, no "riding in the car" sling watching ...

I'm a little annoyed at AT&T's decision here - it totally KILLED this sale, and I think it will mean that SlingMedia will take a huge hit on the Dev costs since I believe that the sales drop will cause them to not recoup nearly their investment.

{sarcasm}

Yay AT&T!

{/sarcasm}

Bastiches.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    No comments about the price of this? $30 seems very high for software that supports a single vendor's hardware product. I would have expected $10 or $5. It reminds me of the extra cost required to use a TiVo with a Mac, but in that case the software is provided by a third party (Roxio) rather than TiVo. The fact that the software exists makes TiVo (and Slingbox) more attractive. The fact that the software is fairly expensive makes the device less attractive.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    This is BS. I can't wait for Apple to get off of AT&T's lousy network. This app is now meaningless. I already carry my laptop wherever I go. Why would I need the iPhone app for $30?

Since launch AT&T has been the iPhone's main weakness. I can't wait 'til my contract is up so I can leave their lousy coverage for good! F*** AT&T
  • Reply 11 of 79
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Is it just me, or does this app have trouble connecting in the demo video? If so that speaks volumes about the bandwidth issues selfish apps like SlingPlayer create.

Personally, although I was born without the sports and violence gene, I can understand that people may want to watch sporting events on the road, but to bring the network to it's knees because a few people want to watch a baseball game seems like a bad choice.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    screthscreth Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

No comments about the price of this? $30 seems very high for software that supports a single vendor's hardware product. I would have expected $10 or $5. It reminds me of the extra cost required to use a TiVo with a Mac, but in that case the software is provided by a third party (Roxio) rather than TiVo. The fact that the software exists makes TiVo (and Slingbox) more attractive. The fact that the software is fairly expensive makes the device less attractive.

They probably have to raise the price for all the sales they are going to lose now that it is WIFI only. I for one have no longer any interest in getting a slingbox or the iphone app.

Can't WAIT for Apple to have another network provider besides AT&T.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You already know the answer you just want to complain about something.

Pocket PC has no web marketshare and does not have the same problems as the iPhone.

There are other devices that offer it. Combined, those devices have a much larger market share than the iPhone. Windows Mobile, Palm, Symbian, and Blackberry offer network streaming, not a crippled Wi-Fi only. Not every iPhone owner has a Slingbox anyway. So who cares if a small percentage of Sling owners want to use the network. We pay for it. Just like we paid for our iPhone and our AT&T service.

Don't give me this "the network can't handle it" bs. Don't believe the excuses. Apple and AT&T have another option for you to watch their Media, and Sling Media is not part of the equation. Unfortunately it will be another year or two before Apple offers streaming media to your iPhone. When they do, it will be extra (write quote down in your diary and refer back to it when I'm right).

I think this sends a pretty strong message to App developers. You either create novelty apps or you create nothing. Any app that actually has substance is usually rejected. Look at the current apps... games, social networking, and fart machines. Even the BABY SHAKER APP saw the light of day.

It's getting to the point of sick.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And people wonder "why take the trouble to jailbreak your iPhone"... LOL.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    screthscreth Posts: 7member
    The network can't handle it IS TOTAL BS. If that was an issue we wouldn't have Youtube for the iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screth View Post

They probably have to raise the price for all the sales they are going to lose now that it is WIFI only. I for one have no longer any interest in getting a slingbox or the iphone app.

Can't WAIT for Apple to have another network provider besides AT&T.

I can't agree more with you, although they charge a significant amount for all of their mobile versions of slingplayer.

Why would I buy this NOW when it's only offered via wifi?

I get free wifi at home, work, and Starbucks.

I have a TV at home - don't need slingplayer

I have a Computer at work - don't need to watch TV at work

That leaves me with Starbucks. FINALLY I CAN WATCH TV IN STARBUCKS!!! Thank you Apple! </sarcasm>
  • Reply 17 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

Why doesn't Apple release 10.5.7 sometime in the next 24 hours? Sheesh!

Maybe, if you want to push them to release prematurely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screth View Post

The network can't handle it IS TOTAL BS. If that was an issue we wouldn't have Youtube for the iPhone.

I think there are different usage models at work here. YouTube is mostly two to five minute clips. I think with Sling, you expect to use it for half an hour at a time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

For all those who claimed Apple had rejected the app because of AT&T.

This is an incomplete statement as far as I can tell. Are you trying to affirm that claim or say it contradicts?
  • Reply 18 of 79
    let me count the ways. Anyone who believes that poppycock about "network saturation" is completely delusional. There are a lot of streaming apps already. Hello, youtube videos? Is that a problem? How about Simplify streaming your iTunes to the iPhone? Pandora radio? Hell, any streaming radio? This IS AT&T we are talking about here. It is not a company generally associated with fair competition nor consumer's best interests. It still irritates me that AT&T bought Cingular.

I'd like to know exactly how many iPhone owners even have a SlingBox? What are the user viewing patterns of Treo owners on AT&T? It's not like I see many of them watching TV on their Treo in public. I'd also like to know how many would use it on a frequent basis out and about? I mean all the places you'd watch TV already have one (ie a sports bar or health club)? If you are going to even attempt to be a slacker and watch it at work, wouldn't you just use your computer? The only reason I wanted to have this application is so that I could watch other sporting events while I'm at another one. Or at a party where I couldn't tune into a sports channel I have at home. But TV programs that aren't live? This is why TIVO/DVRs were invented (sure you can TIVO sports events, and I do, but inevitability either your friend or some sports crawler is going to spoil what the final score was).

This stinks and is another reason to despise AT&T. Of course Verizon would probably do something similar in that they neuter all of their devices to get you to pay for their "service". ISPs and cell providers and the "pay for content" model is getting old.

Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg!
  • Reply 19 of 79
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe, if you want to push them to release prematurely.

I think there are different usage models at work here. YouTube is mostly two to five minute clips. I think with Sling, you expect to use it for half an hour at a time.

This is an incomplete statement as far as I can tell. Are you trying to affirm that claim or say it contradicts?

The problem with this is that there are a whole bunch of windows mobile iPhone clones out there that use Slingbox over 3g. Like I said, Ican't wait for this exclusivity to end.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

There are other devices that offer it. Combined, those devices have a much larger market share than the iPhone. Windows Mobile, Palm, Symbian, and Blackberry offer network streaming, not a crippled Wi-Fi only.

This is misleading. The fact is that the numbers of people that use slingbox on those networks is very small at the moment. That's a completely different thing than putting a much easier to use app in a prominent role on the most popular media device. While PocketPC's and so forth are *capable* of doing all kinds of things, the fact remains that people don't use them for those things, whereas the iPHone has very high use rates for all it's internet functions.

Quote:

... Don't give me this "the network can't handle it" bs. ...

Well you *say* this, but then you don't offer up any evidence that the assumption is wrong. There is on the other hand a lot of evidence to suggest that AT&T's network might have trouble handling this kind of traffic in large numbers. The only places in the world that I know of wherein this kind of heavy media traffic is common have completely different network set-ups than the USA does, using mostly different technology.