SlingPlayer for iPhone to sell for $30 and support WiFi only

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

Why do i pay AT&T $130 a month again? could someone please remind me....

You were attracted to what was offered at the time.

What was offered hasn't changed though, what has changed is what you expect.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

No, that wasnt it.... still searching....

Have you tried asking AT&T then?
  • Reply 43 of 79
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

No, Im pretty sure what was offered has changed....

And what I expect, hasn't...
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Quote:

Maybe what was promised never come to fruition?
  • Reply 45 of 79
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I hear but what you're saying but the issue goes beyond slingbox. I'm not some big slingbox nut. I'm an Apple nut and AT&T is screwing up my phone.

What happens when YouTube starts offering many TV shows and movies? What happens when there is a Hulu app? They've also blocked USTREAM over 3g. This is just the beginning. Streaming video will be very soon, if not already, an important part of a smartphones' experience. The smartphone is going to be a miniature laptop/desktop. If you can't stream video over data you payed for, then it is significantly flawed and useless.

Well, you could also be right and I've certainly got more upset over less before. I am no saint in terms of getting unreasonably angry at monopolistic companies and their outrageous behaviour. The digital revolution sure does seem to be taking it's time arriving, given that it often seems like I might be dead before some of these technologies come to fruition.

Today, I am especially calm and reflective for some reason, and am taking the position that we should all chill out and that these things will all work themselves out in time. I guess that's easy for me to say though as I have little interest in watching TV on my mobile.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Quote:

No, Im pretty sure what was offered has changed....

And what I expect, hasn't...

What do you think you were contractually offered?
  • Reply 47 of 79
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

What do you think you were contractually offered?

unlimited internet access
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Didn't the TV commercials (in the USA at least) mention something about the real internet, not crippled?
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If there were 30 million pocket PCs with EVDO that ATT thought would use Sling, they would outlaw that as well. I'm OK with it - it will prevent this app from saturating the network and hurting my (and the other 90% of users who don't use sling) service.

That said, it seems like an awesome thing and I'd now consider getting a slingbox.

What an AT&T apologist. My goodness, do they have pictures of you playing golf with satan? Saturating the network. Then this just goes to prove that AT&T's network is pure shit and you are paying for it. Normally you pay to screw, not pay to get screwed.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You already know the answer you just want to complain about something.

Pocket PC has no web marketshare and does not have the same problems as the iPhone.

Wait, are there Apple data packets and Pocket PC data packets or are there just data packets?

Let the apologizing begin.....
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is misleading. The fact is that the numbers of people that use slingbox on those networks is very small at the moment. That's a completely different thing than putting a much easier to use app in a prominent role on the most popular media device. While PocketPC's and so forth are *capable* of doing all kinds of things, the fact remains that people don't use them for those things, whereas the iPHone has very high use rates for all it's internet functions.

Well you *say* this, but then you don't offer up any evidence that the assumption is wrong. There is on the other hand a lot of evidence to suggest that AT&T's network might have trouble handling this kind of traffic in large numbers. The only places in the world that I know of wherein this kind of heavy media traffic is common have completely different network set-ups than the USA does, using mostly different technology.

Almost all of Finland is now using mobile data. Dial up died a flaming death when DSL dropped. This too was the ticket where as many people had (have to a lesser degree) it until mobile data packages started being offered by the cell operators. AT&T is scamming, and people are paying. WIn-win for everyone. The people who are happy to give them the money and AT&T who are collecting it.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

They are dozens and dozens, those small guys who've been trying to broadcast for iPhones since years now. They all are caged in wifi.

It's not at all interesting anymore. Mobile TV over 3G, which can be watched everywhere, in offices, in restaurants, in cars (by passengers), is here already.

Exactly. It is not new, it just was not in the US. Once there it suddenly becomes new?
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

C'mon do you really believe that AT&T is going to measure their usage patterns to determine if they will allow it on 3G? Thery're done with it. Game over for slingbox & 3G. AT&T even changed their TOS primarily because of Slingbox changed it back because of complaints. Do you know what they did? They snuck the changes back in two weeks later. That's AT&T. How substantial can it be? Most people don't watch hours of video on the iPhone. YouTube would kill the Slingbox in tems of usage (a free app btw). To even get to use a Slingbox you have to pay $150 just for the Slingbox and $30 for the app. Most App Store buyers don't purchase an app above $7 much less $30. BTW, I paid for that data they charge me for. Phone companies already jack up the price on coverage by separating cell form data when they are in fact the same thing.

I can't believe you're bringing this up. I pay $220/month for my cable. Am I somehow cheating the content owners by watching their show? They still get my Nielsen rating because Slingbox changes the channel on the cable box.

I'm not some slingbox enthusiast. I don't hang out at slingcommunity. How is streaming videos "f***ing everybody else"? So you're saying that's it's not OK to do things when you want to if technology can support it. That is the whole point of technology.

How so? So you're telling me that I have to buy a cup of coffee to watch TV or use AT&T's crappy U-Verse? So I shouldn't want to do things my way but AT&T's way?

That's right. Because when you sum it up with AT&T:

-lousy coverage

-dropped calls

-no Skype over 3G

-no Slingbox over 3g

-at least $100/month

EDIT: BTW, YouTube is also making deals for movies and TV Shows. They already have a few. Are they going to block that too? Also, I guess the writing is on the wall for a Hulu app.

Best post of this thread.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...s.jsp#features

Check out the "Prohibited and Permissible Uses" section.

Quote:

While most common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following:

If you thought you were contractually allowed to do whatever you want, you might want to read the contract terms. Since the terms listed include the "without limitation" phrase, new net sucking apps may be denied in order to preserve network capacity. Always read the fine print when you sign a contract (or anything), and if you don't understand the terms, hire a lawyer.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    chris4851chris4851 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

It's not dying that hard considering they have a far better network than AT&T. AT&T will also have to convert to LTE anyway which makes that point moot. I really don't care how much money they spent last year for their network. I'm living here in NYC and coverage has always been the same: lousy. All congressman in Washington have to use Verizon because it is the only carrier that would pick up a signal inside the Capitol. There was a music fair in April (Coachella) and AT&T sponsored it. At their own sponsored event, you could not get coverage. LOL. If you have trouble with reception in at least two of the five major cities in this country, your network sucks.

AT&T would have lost customers this quarter if not solely for the iPhone. There is a reason for this.

Verizon shouldn't have passed on the iPhone in the beginning. Sucks for them, but horrible business decision. They could only be so lucky to have a great phone on their network. AT&T has the top two phones iPhone and Blackberry Bold. GO VERIZON
  • Reply 56 of 79
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Product names matter to the success and mass adoption of products. I couldn't grasp what the hell a Slingbox was for the longest, but it SOUNDED like I should know what it was, and was stupid not to - and it frankly made me actively disinterested.

I guess I've got it now: it "slings" media around to wherever. Yay. Not that TiVO is intuitive, but it's short and catchy. But names like YouTube are both (video by and for you) and certainly contributed to its rise to ubiquity and dominance. Google didn't "mean" anything, despite its appropriation of "googol" - but like Xerox (and TiVO) is "verbable" - we xerox things, google them, TiV0 them. But I doubt we're going to hear most people say they're going to "slingbox" things.

Maybe if they get big enough in mass consciousness, though, we'll be "slinging" things the way we "wiki" them.

In the brief history of the cyber age, instantly synonymous (and ones less so) names stand out: Word (can't beat it), Excel (what is it? a Korean car? - good for MS they came up with the Office [another instant winner] and bundled it). Photoshop. iTunes. Windows. App Store. Walkman (and for that matter, in another age, Walkie-Talkie). iPhone.

Others just sound cool and get established by marketing and buzz. What does "Amazon" have to do with selling books? But a better choice for a retaler who eventually sells everything. eBay. On the opposite end, "Yahoo" always bugged me, and when they started to extol it by singing it loudly in ads, I became actively hostile to the company. (You're right, it's me, not them. Or is it?)

Others define new categories of products and become the category: iPod. (goodbye "MP3 player, and now the 'pod is so much more). And can grow: iPod Touch. iLife, iWork, ditto.

Apple is brilliant at branding even when lots of us don't like their new names at first blush. I'm still campaigning for Apple Mobile OS or OS X Mobile, and see people even using these in posts, but iPhone and iPhone OS are already part of the language and making bank. People carped at MacBook too, but not after a few weeks. Beats DXL2130 anyway (or whatever stupid number other computer companies use for a few months.

The only slipups I see are two in a row for a service I still feel is overpriced and still not that functional given free alternatives to most of its parts: .Mac and the narcisisstic, cutesy "MobileMe."

So this post is probably already up for a "most tangential, wtf post of the day" - so I'll quit!
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Quote:

Always read the fine print when you sign a contract (or anything), and if you don't understand the terms, hire a lawyer.

Right- we'll have to remember that ever other month when iTunes gets updated. I'll have to hire a lawyer.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    rasras Posts: 3member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1415676]Apple sometime in the next 24 hours will release Sling Media's highly anticipated SlingPlayer application for the iPhone onto its App Store but the software will arrive without 3G wireless support, AppleInsider has been able to confirm.

No 3G Use. Only WIFI Use. WHY the HELL AM I PAYING ATT, OH TO USE MY iPhone how they see fit. I NEED TO ABLE TO USE MY SHIT AS I WISH. This Monopoly shit is killing me.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Personally, although I was born without the sports and violence gene...

How's that "light in the loafers" and "must post on every fucking thread" gene working out for you?
  • Reply 60 of 79
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

Why doesn't Apple release 10.5.7 sometime in the next 24 hours? Sheesh!

Your wish is granted:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._7_update.html