Kritter DV Webcam: Jaguar Ready

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, I see where <a href="http://www.squidsoft.com"; target="_blank">Squidsoft</a> has made a simple and clean looking VideoCon app, which makes me start looking around for a webcam. I saw on iRez' page that the Firewire <a href="http://www.irez.com/products/kritterdigital.html"; target="_blank">KritterCam Digital</a> supports OSX 10.2, but no driver was listed on their download page. When asked, I got the following reponse:

"There is no driver required for the Jaguar OS, as after working with Apple with these units, they are completely plug and play."

If this is true I think it's great...and maybe Apple has a webcam of its own in mind. Man I hope so because that darned KritterDV is $250...and I need two!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    iRez...I'm not buying another thing from them! Sold me a 100 pound webcam, it doesn't work with OS X, and they don't reply to emails about it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    100 pounds. That's a big webcam.

No, seriously. Which model did you buy, if I can ask?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    my Philips Tuocam Pro is good... but it seems Apple is totally snubbing USB... damn bastards.

So, I may be looking for a FW Cam (which is cool cause I could also use it with iMovie)

But, damn, 250$ for the Kritter!!!! Insane... insane.

Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Squidsoft seems to recommend the iBot, but they say that is based on the fact that it has an OSX driver.

I've played with an iBot and I didn't much care for the form-factor. It was easily pullled over by the heavy firewire cable. Maybe that has changed. The Kritter seems to have a great design...that wand is good, but it easily clips onto a laptop or (my) ASD. When I asked about the drivers, I also asked why the Kritter DV was so expensive and they said it was because it had "ISOC Noise Reduction" (never heard of it) that is suppose to elimiate the horizontal lines in other cameras.

Bottomline: iBot = $99 and Kritter = $250

Tough choice, hmmm?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I bought the Kritter USB. They won't make a driver for it, nor release it so other developers can.

Nor will they answer emails about it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by unremarkable:

<strong>I bought the Kritter USB. They won't make a driver for it, nor release it so other developers can.

Nor will they answer emails about it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

according to their website, no drivers are required from 10.2
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

according to their website, no drivers are required from 10.2</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where does it say that? I'm using 10.2 and it still asks for a driver.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The Kritter Digital (FireWire) doesn't require a driver. Kritter USB does.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    from the bits and pieces i have read on macfixit, here's the somewhat-accurate scoop:

a. yes, firewire webcams are natively supported under jaguar. however, the quality, as reported by all those who have forwarded in reports, has been worse than god-awful. methinks apple TOLD irez, among others, not to worry about the drivers, and that they would "take care of it," yet created total garbage for drivers.

b. true, apple has not made any drivers for usb cams, but it IS linux under the hood, folks. just do a couple google searches, especially in the newsgroups, and you'll find several geeks with too much time (and maybe a bunch of useless webcams) on their hands, hand-rolling their own drivers.

c. irez has been very sneaky about their usb kritter cams, as they BURIED info about issues with the 1.0 cams on their website, which essentially boils down to, if you bought the version 1.0 krittercam (and the only way to tell is if the cam has a 3 foot cable), you are screwed. buy a new cam. the version 1.1 kritter does not suffer from the same problems, and apprently drivers from irez are pending.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    No thanks to iRez, of course, but coincidentally the latest version of this, released a day ago, enables my USb 1 Kritter:

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14288&db=macosx"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14288&db=macosx</a>;

Good for IOXperts!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by unremarkable:

<strong>No thanks to iRez, of course, but coincidentally the latest version of this, released a day ago, enables my USb 1 Kritter:</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kick ass! Now I just have to figure out where in the yard I buried my purportedly dead USB Kritter.

Escher