SlingPlayer for iPhone to sell for $30 and support WiFi only

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Exactly. It is not new, it just was not in the US. Once there it suddenly becomes new?

WiFi TV? No way. Not even in States. Useless losers (I mean wifiers). We all've got over that already.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    @Virgil

It does NOT time shift anything - it PLACE shifts the viewing and only one person can view it.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    ATT is just screwing over developers for other countries.. i pay for 6gb of data with Rogers, if i wanna spent that 6gb watching slingbox! then i am damn well gonna do it..
  • Reply 64 of 79
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeoStylez View Post

this is stupid plain and simple.. what about carriers outside of the US who dont care about saturation of networks.. why does att have to be the one who calls the shots on this.. if there blocking it simply beacuse there coming out with a similar service.. then thats pure anti competition..

what about the blackberry.. it has a sling app.. over 3g.. apple should just pull out some balls, and tell ATT where they can go.. im sure someone else will pick up the iphone..

Go and find yourself an international iphone carrier that gives you 5 GB in data allowance. There are plenty of iphone carriers worldwide that will give you 250 MB in monthly data allowance.

The app won't matter --- even if it's available in other platforms like the blackberry --- because you still can't use it according to the terms of service. It is within the rights of carriers to go and charge you thousands of dollars for you to watch a sports game using your blackberry sling app.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeoStylez View Post

ATT is just screwing over developers for other countries.. i pay for 6gb of data with Rogers, if i wanna spent that 6gb watching slingbox! then i am damn well gonna do it..

Rogers has the same sort of restrictions on their terms of service. I bet you that Rogers isn't scare to actually charge you thousands of dollars so that you can watch your favorite tv show on sling app.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:

Almost all of Finland is now using mobile data. Dial up died a flaming death when DSL dropped. This too was the ticket where as many people had (have to a lesser degree) it until mobile data packages started being offered by the cell operators. AT&T is scamming, and people are paying. WIn-win for everyone. The people who are happy to give them the money and AT&T who are collecting it.

What planet are you from?

Finland has iphone data plans with --- 100 MB monthly data allowance.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1342...ra_iphone.html

You can't even watch the tv commercials with that kind of data allowance, let alone tv programs.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    att-ftlatt-ftl Posts: 2member
    http://twitter.com/IphonersHateATT

FOLLOW THIS TWIT TO PROTEST AT&T'S TREATMENT OF IPHONE APPS.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    chnewschnews Posts: 1member
    I tried AT&T (with an iPhone) last year for one week. I live two miles from the downtown of a major city in the Pacific Northwest, three hours south of Seattle. And I had ZERO bars in at my house. Starbucks near downtown? ZERO. In places where my Verizon signal is a blowtorch.

Of course, I would never know this from the AT&T "map" which shows my home in the middle of a thoroughly "covered" area.

I will lovingly use this Sling product on my iPod Touch, especially in my bedroom where I don't have a TV and don't always want to drag my laptop around. And all the while, I will be thinking "AT&T? Who needs you losers?"

The surprise for me: why are consumers commenting on this thread seeking to defend AT&T? They are rock bottom. They are bottom feeders. I will believe their "investment" in improved quality when I see it. And will they let me actually test it? Uh, no.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Sling Media's concession to release its iPhone app as WiFi-only is surprising given that a version of SlingPlayer runs on several other AT&T devices over 3G like the BlackBerry Bold. With a $30 price tag and a WiFi-only limitation, it will be interesting to see how well the application fares in its first week on the App Store, especially since its lack of wireless network access is likely to curb its appeal, forcing users to find a hotspot before streaming video.

Some have theorized that AT&T's motives for asking Apple to deny a 3G capable version of the application may be more closely tied to the carrier's plan to launch a similar 3G service than any potential concerns over network saturation. The AT&T service would reportedly allow iPhone users to steer video recorders for its U-verse digital TV offering from their handsets.

Instead of issuing a dumbded down WiFi-only application, Sling Media should file a complaint with the antitrust division of the Federal Justice Department against Apple and ATT for unfairly restricting access to market for their LEGAL and useful application.

Sling Media should also sue Apple for damages.

I hate it when Apple does a dumb thing like that, alienating its customer base.

UPDATE to the original story:

- AT&T issues official statement on SlingPlayer's 3G blackout for iPhone @

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/12/a...-blackout-for/

- AT&T Releases Statement on Lack of 3G Streaming for Upcoming SlingPlayer Mobile @

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/12/...player-mobile/
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

You can't even watch the tv commercials with that kind of data allowance, let alone tv programs.

I am currently from Planet: Living in Helsinki, Finland. What planet are you from? Planet I don't know what the EFF I am talking about because someone wrote, it must be try?

Hey Einstein here is a clue for you. The rates that Sonera uses comes from the parent company in Sweden. The Finnish operator, Sonera does not enforce any rates they send because Sonera thinks they are stupid. You must be Swedish. Anyway, I consistently go over a gig a month. That's more than 100 mb right? How about this. Get a passport, hope on a plane and come to Finland (that's the country in between Sweden (your ancestors I assume) and Russia) and see for yourself. Most Finns (and non Finns such as me) who get the iPhone get the My Sonera plan with (are you ready for this?) UNLIMITED data. Considering Sonera and all the other operators are pushing mobile data as a viable option (many, many netbooks being sold here with unlimited data plans) to home based DSL. So your "article" holds no water.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    I guess i'm not buying an iphone this summer. i was just waiting to see what happened with this as this was a major app for me. If i'm gonna be needing wi-fi for everything, then i might as well just get an ipod touch. As for phones i guess i'm getting a Palm Pre to replace my Treo 650.

AT&T knows that by killing 3G support that they will be striking a major blow to Sling. Apple of all companies is allowing this! This is the time to step in Apple and protect your customers. I have to say i am really disappointed.

The only way to strike back is to boycott the iPhone, App store and iTunes until it hurts Apple and AT&T so much financially that they do something about it. Also if you don't buy a new ipohne this Summer, you strike a blow to both AT&T and Apple. It is time they learn that we the customers are in power not them. They must give us what we want. So let's start up a grass roots effort and boycott both companies. If we can elect our first African-American president via grass roots i'm sure we can teach these 2 fat, greedy companies that they can not get away with this.

Even if you don't care about Sling, your invested in this as it's just a matter of time before they pull some other crap that effects you.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

It isn't that scary, as it may seem. True, in Europe when you sign the 'unlimited' data plan they announce you, that your "connection speed may be decreased until next payment date after you outspend 'reasonable' amount of exchanged data". In France 'reasonable amount' seems to be 500MB. I used to get the warning message from Orange after the first week of each contract month. But this doesn't bother me anyhow... They may or may not decrease my connection speed... Dunno exactly what they gonna do with my connection... Duncare.... I watch soccer and wrestling (catch) on my breaks, I browse YouTube, I read books, I write emails...
  • Reply 73 of 79
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLad View Post

The only way to strike back is to boycott the iPhone, App store and iTunes until it hurts Apple and AT&T so much financially that they do something about it. Also if you don't buy a new ipohne this Summer, you strike a blow to both AT&T and Apple. It is time they learn that we the customers are in power not them. They must give us what we want. So let's start up a grass roots effort and boycott both companies. If we can elect our first African-American president via grass roots i'm sure we can teach these 2 fat, greedy companies that they can not get away with this.

[/B]

Good luck with that self-righteous, air-guitar, blunt-force if done, but isn't gonna happen over an app anyway activism.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Good luck with that self-righteous, air-guitar, blunt-force if done, but isn't gonna happen over an app anyway activism.

I too doubt that the handling of this app would have a noticeable effect on sales of the iPhone and AT&T service.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:

I am currently from Planet: Living in Helsinki, Finland. What planet are you from? Planet I don't know what the EFF I am talking about because someone wrote, it must be try?

Hey Einstein here is a clue for you. The rates that Sonera uses comes from the parent company in Sweden. The Finnish operator, Sonera does not enforce any rates they send because Sonera thinks they are stupid. You must be Swedish. Anyway, I consistently go over a gig a month. That's more than 100 mb right? How about this. Get a passport, hope on a plane and come to Finland (that's the country in between Sweden (your ancestors I assume) and Russia) and see for yourself. Most Finns (and non Finns such as me) who get the iPhone get the My Sonera plan with (are you ready for this?) UNLIMITED data. Considering Sonera and all the other operators are pushing mobile data as a viable option (many, many netbooks being sold here with unlimited data plans) to home based DSL. So your "article" holds no water.

Want to get banned again, Mr. Diplomat.

Carriers don't enforce their policies currently --- doesn't mean that those policies aren't there (legally) in the first place. That's the whole point of the worldwide launch of the iphone --- 300-400 million Europeans thought INCORRECTLY that their government forbid those policies (i.e. rude awakening for the Brits to find out that they have absolutely no legal right to demand an unlocking code, even at the end of contract).

You can do whatever you want --- with your SO CALLED UNLIMITED data, until your operator gives you a rude awakening and enforce those rules.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Want to get banned again, Mr. Diplomat.

Carriers don't enforce their policies currently --- doesn't mean that those policies aren't there (legally) in the first place. That's the whole point of the worldwide launch of the iphone --- 300-400 million Europeans thought INCORRECTLY that their government forbid those policies (i.e. rude awakening for the Brits to find out that they have absolutely no legal right to demand an unlocking code, even at the end of contract).

You can do whatever you want --- with your SO CALLED UNLIMITED data, until your operator gives you a rude awakening and enforce those rules.

Hey Mr. Wrong as usual, I was not banned in the first place. Being you has to be a drag..

Anyway, so explain what unlimited means to you in your myopic world because in mine and on my contract it means, all the data I want for the price I paid. If I want QoS, I can pay more and get this as well. Quite simple, you do not know what you are talking about. Now please go annoy someone else. Go pedal crazy somewhere else.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:

Anyway, so explain what unlimited means to you in your myopic world because in mine and on my contract it means, all the data I want for the price I paid. If I want QoS, I can pay more and get this as well. Quite simple, you do not know what you are talking about. Now please go annoy someone else. Go pedal crazy somewhere else.

In your world, you use a data plan that is not supposed to be used for the iphone. Your carrier turned a blind eye on it --- doesn't mean anything. Plenty of people tether their cell phones in the US with a $7 T-Mobile WAP plan or on Sprint's cell phone plans.

If your world is so good, then show me any sort of proof that the Fins actually use their mobile phones on mobile data plans. The reality is that 92% of all mobile data traffic in Finland came from pc data cards, not mobile phones.

http://disruptivewireless.blogspot.c...a-traffic.html
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:

In your world, you use a data plan that is not supposed to be used for the iphone. Your carrier turned a blind eye on it --- doesn't mean anything. Plenty of people tether their cell phones in the US with a $7 T-Mobile WAP plan or on Sprint's cell phone plans.

If your world is so good, then show me any sort of proof that the Fins actually use their mobile phones on mobile data plans. The reality is that 92% of all mobile data traffic in Finland came from pc data cards, not mobile phones.

http://disruptivewireless.blogspot.c...a-traffic.html

In my world, we have this thing called actual experience, and the ability to go to the phone dealer and speak to them directly. Is your world somewhere in Sweden? Never mind, please prove your statement: "you use a data plan that is not supposed to be used for the iphone." Please site actual facts. Not planet I don't know what I am talking about theories but a fact. Hint: being that you believe everything that you read, look up the words: Minon Sonera under iPhone plans and then come back and embarass yourself with the results. I'll wait.

Your statement about Finns using mobile data via PC Card (which is what I said) pretty much what I have been saying. The operators are pushing data services as an alternative to fixed line data services. Did I go too fast for you. I thought it was pretty easy to understand. But here is the real news flash for you. Why buy a PC Card when most of the phones here 3G capable and have the ability to tether. So can you prove that these very same people aren't using their cell phones for data. By the way, no one in our embassy has a PC Card but they all have phones that are 3G and tethered to their laptops but then again in your world out on Blargon 5 they shouldn't be doing this.

So prove your points if you can. Oh how is that thing about me being banned going? Got that wrong too I see.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    In Australia we don't even have slingbox, I use Orb Live to stream music, video and live TV from a tuner card over 3G and wireless, the only thing is my ADSL is restricted to 256k uplink and the PC Orb server runs on has to have some pretty serious grunt to convert files on the fly.

It cost less than $30 as well.

I've got 1GB of data on my phone plan then it's 10c a MB, plain and simple.