Jobs cleared to raze mansion as Ive loses domain name battle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I can't believe SJ bought that old, ugly, beat down, claustrophobic "mansion", and actually lived in it.

I am sure it wasn't in that condition when he bought it in 1985, and lived in it.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Word of warning to AI, calling this domain squatter a "crazed fan" could open you up to a libel lawsuit. You might want to reconsider your choice of words.

I don't think they are concerned about lawsuits, since most people don't put much weight on credibility with their articles. Their "reliable anonymous" sources are generally full of BS.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Perfectly fine" or not, it can't be replaced and I have my doubts about the decision (though none of us know the full story).

What bothers me more is this:

Get a PLATE! Jeesh.

You are forgetting that after he bought the place in 1985, he was fired from Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Dude could just get jonathanivefan.com and end it.

Good point and why the Google ads if non profit? Harry should accept the MacBook and change DN as you suggest. Too late I have it now. Kidding
  • Reply 25 of 82
    muffindccmuffindcc Posts: 10member
    I'd sure as hell take the iPod and Macbook over a domain anyday
  • Reply 26 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am upset. You couldn't come up with a great comment?

OK I'm bored so here goes:

Jonathan Ive- Pay up or shut up. Who does he think he is- Madonna? If Madonna had do it, so can you. Besides shouldn't he just be using [email protected] for his website?

You snooze, you loose. Pay up or shut up.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I don't know that you are that accurate. Some of the information actually makes it look like that they started doing the asbestos removal and halted. Once you start opening walls up on a place like that, you are always in for a surprise. Then you end up with the question if you should dump more money in to try and fix up everything or just start over. Obviously the "start over" won out.

Steve walked away from the house. He never liked the house from the very start, so it was never a question of keeping it up. This is actually one of the more common dirty tricks used by people who waste historic buildings. They let it become such an eyesore that nobody cares anymore, or wait for a vagrant to burn it down. Happens all the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Perfectly fine" or not, it can't be replaced and I have my doubts about the decision (though none of us know the full story).

The story was played out in the press in detail. Those of us who were interested followed it pretty closely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

It was built in 1929 (aka, not "old" even by American standards) and has the same architecture as dozens and dozens of other homes - not historic, at all. Bulldoze...

The house was historic. This was never the issue. The issue was whether the city would allow him to tear it down anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Not level? Not dismantle? Not demolish?

You chose the most rarely used word never used in construction or demolition to describe the action?
  • Reply 29 of 82
    What a strange character that Jones guy is. This is virtual stalking, no wonder Johnny Ive's didn't want to meet this creep in person. As for not wanting to sell the domain, that's b*****s, this kid's intention, like all domain grabbers, is to build it up with a view to selling for big bucks.

$400,000 dollars an emotion reaction my arse.

I'm sure Johnny knows a few good hackers who could render this site useless in return for a shiny new Macbook or iPod.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not level? Not dismantle? Not demolish?

You chose the most rarely used word never used in construction or demolition to describe the action?

Hmmm...... you may be right. Here are the # google search results for:

Level: 909 million

Dismantle: 4 million

Demolish: 3.42 milion

Raze: 2.17 million

• Reply 31 of 82
    While Ive may have had something to do with EVE, the actual design was done by a guy named Jay Shuster. He actually claimed how EVE was the easiest piece of design because she was allowed to be overly futuristic. He actually defended his design from Ive... Which I thought was interesting. We all just assume that Ive directly designed her... Shuster alluded to this during a lecture of his in Tulsa, OK.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In February 2008 another Apple Inc. employee got in touch and I was put under great pressure to give up my website. That Apple employee offered me an iPod (and later a Macbook) in exchange. This upset me, as I had spent a tremendous amount of time building and maintaining the website. When I declined the offer, I was told I must name a sales price if I did not want to face litigation. I reacted emotionally to the pressure, and gave a high price of US$ 400,000 to dissuade harassment. I had no desire or intention to sell my website to Apple Inc.

You really need to lay off bullying people who have the utmost respect for your company or for its employees. Cool off with this stuff!! It doesn't even sound like Ives was the one threatening litigation but Apple itself. Sometimes the people that Apple threatens make me wonder sometimes if they actually did some research in to who they were threatening with litigation or was it simply a knee-jerk reaction to a .com name by some corporate blowhards.

There's nothing quite like having your idols threaten you with litigation. Nice one, Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Raze: 2.17 million

Language fans will know that this is one of a handful of words in English with a homophone which is also an antonym.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Steve walked away from the house. He never liked the house from the very start, so it was never a question of keeping it up.

Which sort of begs the question why buy in the first place. If you buy a George Washington Smith house with the idea of tearing it down, you're going to be facing preservationists.

I respect Jobs and the work he's done, but that house is filled with irreplaceable tilework and hand crafted woods. It's a shame that he couldn't just find another lot for whatever he wants to put up and sell this one to someone who would want to restore it.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmp View Post

Which sort of begs the question why buy in the first place. If you buy a George Washington Smith house with the idea of tearing it down, you're going to be facing preservationists.

I respect Jobs and the work he's done, but that house is filled with irreplaceable tilework and hand crafted woods. It's a shame that he couldn't just find another lot for whatever he wants to put up and sell this one to someone who would want to restore it.

Right, exactly. It's also a George Washington Smith design, which are much sought after and sell for big premiums over more ordinary houses of the period and style. Steve could have sold the house for a huge profit, and bought any other piece of property on the face of the planet for his house. It staggers the imagination why someone with an infinity of options would be so insistent about being an architectural vandal. I guess I learned something about Steve I wish I hadn't.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It staggers the imagination why someone with an infinity of options would be so insistent about being an architectural vandal.

It's like buying a Picasso, claiming it isn't a good one, and asking to paint over it. Just buy a blank canvas for gods sake.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmp View Post

It's like buying a Picasso, claiming it isn't a good one, and asking to paint over it. Just buy a blank canvas for gods sake.

Even worse in Steve's case. Early on Steve claimed that Smith couldn't have been an important architect because he had never heard of him. I'll bet some people have never heard of you, Steve.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think Appleinsider should be careful about calling the fan crazed. That seems like a libel suit waiting to happen. The guy seems pretty normal to me. Further, he isn't doing anything different then a lot of people do who have interest in certain celebrities.

This guy has an interest in industrial design. Ives is his hero. He has a website devoted to that. The law is also on his side. He isn't profiting from the Site at all.

If Ives would have called him up and asked for the domain name, the guy seems like he would have agreed. However, here the lawyers stepped in and tried to strong arm him.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    BS. YOu can only be a domain squatter is you are violating somebody's trademark. Here he is not. Further, he doesn't even have Google ads installed, which is a sure mark of the domain squatter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

What a strange character that Jones guy is. This is virtual stalking, no wonder Johnny Ive's didn't want to meet this creep in person. As for not wanting to sell the domain, that's b*****s, this kid's intention, like all domain grabbers, is to build it up with a view to selling for big bucks.

$400,000 dollars an emotion reaction my arse.

I'm sure Johnny knows a few good hackers who could render this site useless in return for a shiny new Macbook or iPod.

• Reply 40 of 82
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I don't understand what's the big deal with Ive. He should be proud of his work and should be recognized and well known, because of his 'being in the closet' no one knows who he is, except Apple fans.