Steve Jobs seen returning post-WWDC brandishing new iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While all eyes are on Apple's annual developers conference as a likely forum for new iPhone hardware announcements, one Wall Street analyst is advising clients that better bets may be placed on an event a few weeks later that may also mark the return of Steve Jobs.

In a note to clients, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said he believes a press release from Apple on Wednesday regarding its WWDC keynote plans suggests the event will largely focus around software and may have even been drafted as such to reset expectations for the conference.

"As indicated in today's press release, we believe Apple will focus on the new version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard at WWDC," he wrote. "While some investors may be expecting Apple to launch redesigned iPhones at WWDC, we do not anticipate the launch in early June."

Instead, Munster is placing his money on a surprise media event that would take place sometime in late June or early July following Jobs' return. He believes the event will be used to usher in a new "family" of iPhones, including a cheaper model that he sees playing into Apple's strategy for the Chinese cell phone market which could materialize by September.

"We continue to expect multiple models, possibly a high-end iPhone with improved specs from the current version and a low-end version with lower capacity and fewer features along with a reduced pricing plan," the analyst wrote.

With Phil Schiller announced as the keynote speaker for this year's WWDC, some investors may have renewed concern that Jobs may never return to the company, according to Munster, who maintains his belief that co-founder is on track to return later in the month, per comments from other members of the company's leadership.

"This is consistent with our expectations as well as Apple's indications that Steve Jobs is still planning on returning to the company 'at the end of June' (emphasis added)," he wrote. "In order for Jobs to deliver the keynote on June 8th, he would likely begin preparations well before his intended return date."

Munster's presumptions may carry some weight given that new iPhone hardware will require advancements present in iPhone Software 3.0, which is unlikely to be ready for public consumption as early as WWDC. Only last week did Apple issue a mandate requiring all developers to certify that new and updated app submissions are compatible with the upcoming software update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I hope Steve regains his health but extends his leave of absence to work on his house. I am just about finished with my new house which has been under construction for almost a year. A project like Steve's will take a lot of energy on his part but is a really rewarding endeavor. As long as he is healthy, it shouldn't affect Apple stock adversely if he extends his leave since he could return at any time he chooses.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Umm, this actually does make sense.

Guess we may have to wait several more weeks for iPhone hardware updates.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake. They need to show the world that they can do major product releases without him.

Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve. That way it won't matter what he looks like on stage. The alternative is more of the same obsession with his health.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    While I have no idea either, if I were in charge at Apple the last thing I would want to do would be to fuel the Cult of Steve. I sincerely hope that Jobs is well into his recovery, but Apple needs to reassure that it can go it without Steve, something that eventually must happen as we are all mortal.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake. They need to show the world that they can do major product releases without him.

Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve. That way it won't matter what he looks like on stage. The alternative is more of the same obsession with his health.

Exactimo - big mistake to bring back Steve. Just when he/we thought he was out they couldn't possibly pull him back in, could they? He may insist, of course...
  • Reply 6 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Umm, this actually does make sense.

Guess we may have to wait several more weeks for iPhone hardware updates.

Doesn't make sense to me. So far this year has been just like last year. They did the iphone software intro at the same time. It will be released at the same time, or close to it.

Last year there was NO announcement of iPhone 3G hardware until it happened, first day of WWDC. Despite it being obvious as there was no iPhone stock anywhere.

It's easier for Apple to follow a pattern than do everything different each year.

If Steve isn't well enough in early June will he be in late June? Doubtful.

I see little basis for Munster's prediction. If I had to bet on it I'd say WWDC keynote unveils the new phone. Which may ship then or maybe later.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Makes more sense to unveil new iPhones at WWDC, not later.

Gruber explains why:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...et-iphone-apis
  • Reply 8 of 47
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake.

I doubt Apple is waiting for Steve. Production schedules are established many months in advance. I expect when Steve said he was taking a 6 month hiatus, he and everyone else at the top of Apple knew this would fit well with the next generation announcement.

Quote:

Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve.

As if MWSF'09 didn't and WWDC'09 won't help with that?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Doesn't make sense to me. So far this year has been just like last year. They did the iphone software intro at the same time. It will be released at the same time, or close to it.

Last year there was NO announcement of iPhone 3G hardware until it happened, first day of WWDC. Despite it being obvious as there was no iPhone stock anywhere.

It's easier for Apple to follow a pattern than do everything different each year.

If Steve isn't well enough in early June will he be in late June? Doubtful.

I see little basis for Munster's prediction. If I had to bet on it I'd say WWDC keynote unveils the new phone. Which may ship then or maybe later.

I agree. I think it will be the same as they've done every year. That would also accomplish, as other have pointed out, that they can release a product without Steve.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    I don't understand how having Steve deliver the keynote makes that dramatic of a difference in sales. Maybe if it had been two or three years and apple was releasing a new device, not just a hardware refresh, which was clearly outside the design scope of Jobs, then maybe the public may be really unsure, unsettled about the new project. Am I crazy with line of reasoning?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If he's going to be "brandishing" the new iPhone he better not drop it, cause he'll have to send it away for a while to get fixed and pay basically most of the cost all over again. They're a delicate little number those things.

Now...

Super quality camera with autofocus, and a flash.

+

Double the RAM.

+

An OLED display.

Just do it

---

I'd like to add - no matter what people tell you - the black levels on these iPhone screens (both types) are awful. The screen is this phone. Even if the only thing they changed was the screen, by making it an OLED display, I'd be basically happy with that. A better camera would be a bonus, and video is a given. It's not an extra new thing, but something that currently is missing. The RAM seems to be a technical thing that no amount of optimization can fix, I hear programmers talking about it all the time. It would be a tiny tiny cost to double the RAM - that would great reduce sluggishness, and would probably improve Safari a bunch.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    The more I think about it, the less sense it makes... They want developers to prepare for the new device, that includes making use of new hardware features (the current iPhone OS beta - neither the set of APIs, nor the user features - is certainly not feature complete, as they keep things under the hood). Now let's say (just an example): the rumored magnetometer/compass is true. Will they introduce the respective API during WWDC, and then Jobs will hold a special event one month later, announcing the very same thing again as a big surprise? The device and the software go hand in hand. They have to introduce both (or nothing).
  • Reply 13 of 47
    steven csteven c Posts: 8member
    Well everyone I have a good idea to what's going on in the world of apple. Possibly, a new iphone could be unveiled at WWDC and it will be the new iphone everyone is expecting the one with the supposed chinese screen shot (Iphone 2,1). However at another event perhaps a month later apple could unveil...wait for it THE IPHONE PRO. (Iphone 3,1)

I know it's a little out there in terms of actually happening but if you think about it, it goes together nicely with lots of the rumors. For example the whole "Iphone 3,1" thing operating under the 3.0 software. Also wasn't there a rumor about a 3.2 megapixel camera order with a 5.0 megapixel camera coming later on in the year? Hopefully it will go on the Iphone pro. Also this could be the family of iphones mentioned above and would be a nice way to welcome Steve back- by introducing a device nobody thought possible ( 64 gigs, 5 meg camera, 1Ghz processor, slide out keyboard or keyboard "attachement" to appeal to business/former blackberry users?)

Let me know what you think.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    jamesgrjamesgr Posts: 14member
    This is a really misleading headline. Clearly, Steve Jobs was NOT seen.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The RAM seems to be a technical thing that no amount of optimization can fix, I hear programmers talking about it all the time. It would be a tiny tiny cost to double the RAM - that would great reduce sluggishness, and would probably improve Safari a bunch.

Yes, it is something developers talk about a lot and its extremely important. Why? iPhone is capped, for the whole system at 128MB, which is very low. When it gets packed with a whopping game, then you will experience sluggishness because the iPhone will tell the app to release memory, causing a slowdown because the CPU is busy releasing tonnes of memory, not playing your game.

It is important to note, however, that the CPU is the main cause of sluggishness. Test an iPod Touch 2G... that 100Mhz upgrade made it a KILLER device. It gives a whole new meaning to snappiness . Thats because its got extra CPU cycles idle to allow bottlenecks at memory deallocation to be worked through quicker, and its just got less hogging its CPU all the time.

If you want snappier iPhones then developers need to be critical of where they're doing all their fugly, processor intensive code, not so much focusing 24/7 on memory...
  • Reply 16 of 47
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    This is nothing but setting up expectations for a Jobs return that will drive prices down for shorters when it doesn't happen.

Looks like the same games Cramer got slammed for exposing are still in play.

Apple needs to put Jobs on the shelf permanently. Super-Senior-Apple-Fellow, with all powers except for the ability to drive stock down because of his health.

They have the opportunity... they need to take it.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

I totally agree. Apple and it's board have to show that new products can happen WITHOUT Steve. Yeah, it'll be great to have him back, but I cannot imagine that they'll want him to continue as the one spokesman of amazing things.

I think the ONLY reason to push back an iPhone release is to ruin everyone else's plan for their announcements. Because all the other vendors (RIM, Palm, Microsoft) are scheduling all their announcements based on a WWDC announcement. If Apple pushes back their announcement, 100 marketing departments will be jumping through hoops rescheduling their own announcements.

WWDC is for developers. I do expect iPhone OS 3.0. But a new phone? Not necessary. All the great features for the new series of phones will be in 3.1.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    New iPhone hardware at WWDC...

- and then Steve comes back weeks later to introduce their tablet media pad iThingy.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    OH NO! I'm waiting on my first iPhone. I can barely wait until June. Please lets not start July talk...
  • Reply 20 of 47
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Makes more sense to unveil new iPhones at WWDC, not later.

Gruber explains why:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...et-iphone-apis

Agree

New hardware needed to show 3.0's new features at WWDC!

But/And on SJ's return late jun/jul? announcing new i mini/net/tab - U name it. hopefully w/ upgraded books/computers running Snow Leopard.