Microsoft launches assault on Apple's "iPod tax"

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Why are you here? the Zune software doesn't run on a Mac and this is a Mac forum...... who are you going to convince?

wouldn't you be better off in a win/m$ dev forum whining about how it would expand the zune brand if the zune software ran on a Mac?

I would imagine VERY few here would go to the extra expense of buying a PC (or can they rent one?) just to then have to buy a Zune just to then have to pay the subscription in order to "benefit" when they already own a Mac and most likely if they are reading this thread, an iPod. this misses the whole hassle of actually having to deal with windows.

who says the $15 will remain at that price? we all know it will drift up once enough greed has registered in the record cartels eyeballs -- er i mean once enough people are suckered into a subscription model.

You can always Windows in a VM (Parallels or VMware Fusion) like I do. It wasn't that big of a deal for me since I already run Office 2007 in one, but I suppose others might find it more than inconvenient. I also share my Windows/OSX music folders, so any music I buy from either iTunes or Zune show up in the other too.

I ended up with a 120 gb Zune after my iPod video bit the dust. Circuit City sold it to me for $200, and threw in a $100 radio transceiver for free. Along with a 2 week free trial Zune Pass, and the ability to return it if I didn't like it, I figured I had little to lose.

Some people might think me crazy for buying a Zune when I aready have a Mac and an iPhone, but I like the subscription service. It's turned out to be a great discovery tool, because I'm not limited to 30 previews: when I click a song, I get to listen to the whole thing. Sometimes the 30 second previews in iTunes just aren't enough, or they play a bad part in what is overall a good song. Sure, I could get my music other places for free...but it's not as convenient, and it's kind of nice to stay legal.

If the service ever shuts down, at least I get to keep the 10 songs I buy a month (plus any others), and the other $5 I consider the subscription will have been well spent in my opinion.

I also just realized that the Zune is the media player equivalent to "Think Different". So should all PC users buy iPods and Mac users buy Zunes?
  • Reply 102 of 115
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    This is laughable ... as if anyone really believes what the ad says. MS is so far down in the well of "OMG we're way behind the leader" that they must now resort to ads like this. They continue to be and act like a whale omelet. Thick, slow, and from the perspective of follower.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    shoonyashoonya Posts: 1member
    One good thing that came out of the Zune is that Apple was forced to drop the price by $50.. not long ago they were charging $300 and once zune was announced it dropped it to $249 to compete. Good consumer....
  • Reply 104 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoonya View Post

One good thing that came out of the Zune is that Apple was forced to drop the price by $50.. not long ago they were charging $300 and once zune was announced it dropped it to $249 to compete. Good consumer....

I think the Zune is good for a non-iPod PMP, but I'm not sure that the Zune was the reason for the price drop. I recall there were rumours of the $50 price drop prior to the Zune's pricing released and the iPods have dropped in price since the $500 iPod* was released. Even the 60GB 4th gen iPod Photo was $599.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Great commercial!

I like the part "so if someone's using iTunes, I tell them to consider a subscription service like Zune Pass".

Okay, I'm considering getting a Zune Pass.

How do I get the software for my iMac G5 and how do I load the subscribed songs onto my iPod?
  • Reply 106 of 115
    thorstenthorsten Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't want a Zune but if Apple offered a similar pass scheme, I'd be all over it in a second.

I own a large CD collection but there's no such thing as too much music - especially when I can keep 10 tracks a month.

I so agree!!!

Such a pass would be awesome with iTunes, Its almost exactly the pass I have been dreaming of.

Well I was hoping to 5$ and 10 songs, but hey almost there :-D
  • Reply 107 of 115
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    As usual, the MS trolls suddenly appear with brand new AI accounts.

Renting has worked well for movies, but, music is different. Rarely do people watch a movie more than once, however, music is often listened to more than once for years later. People also have a more personal and emotional connection to certain songs, which causes us to want to collect and save music.

Additionally, renting music has already been tried by several other companies over the past few years without much success. I can't imagine MS is going to change many people's minds that renting is preferable to owning when it comes to music.
  • Reply 108 of 115
    thorstenthorsten Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

As usual, the MS trolls suddenly appear with brand new AI accounts.

Renting has worked well for movies, but, music is different. Rarely do people watch a movie more than once, however, music is often listened to more than once for years later. People also have a more personal and emotional connection to certain songs, which causes us to want to collect and save music.

Additionally, renting music has already been tried by several other companies over the past few years without much success. I can't imagine MS is going to change many people's minds that renting is preferable to owning when it comes to music.

I think renting is very good, as long as you get something in return, i.e. some song credit.

The only complain I have about the Microsoft deal, is that it should be cheaper why not 5$ and 5 songs?

Or even better 10 songs.

I think for that deal everybody would get it.

I mean why wouldn't you? 10 songs, each for 50 cents?

Plus all the Music in the world, as long as you pay $5 every month?

I bet almost everybody in the western world would go for that deal.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

I think renting is very good, as long as you get something in return, i.e. some song credit.

The only complain I have about the Microsoft deal, is that it should be cheaper why not 5$ and 5 songs?

Or even better 10 songs.

I think for that deal everybody would get it.

I mean why wouldn't you? 10 songs, each for 50 cents?

Plus all the Music in the world, as long as you pay $5 every month?

I bet almost everybody in the western world would go for that deal.

It would be nice, but I don't think it's going to happen. Even if Apple or Microsoft wanted to offer a deal like that, the music studios would never allow it. I think the option of a subscription with iTunes would work, because there are people that like that model (me!). Even people that don't like the idea of their music disappearing if they ever stop paying might buy into it if something like the Zune Pass was offered so you could keep some songs a month. And then there are those that just wouldn't realized it and think it was the deal of the century.

On another note, I'm surprised that the subscription model wasn't tried with video first, since it's already close to what you can get through something like Netflix.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    I'm beginning to think that Microsoft is celebrating this recession!

Balmer is an idiot - the sooner Microsoft dumps him, the better.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Aside from all of this ? what do folks think of the design of the new zune?

Skip
  • Reply 112 of 115
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Aside from all of this ? what do folks think of the design of the new zune?

Skip

What do I think, well another has said far better than I could.

Those that can't innovate, immediate . S. Jobs

Can there be a better reason for not using MS products ? They make money on the backs of others. They have done it so long now it comes across as "this is our right".

HT
  • Reply 113 of 115
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Aside from all of this … what do folks think of the design of the new zune?

Skip

How's "homely" sound?

Every time I see Social on one of those things, I think VD. Wonder if you can still "squirt" with this new one?
  • Reply 114 of 115
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

F@#k Microsoft.

exactly !
  • Reply 115 of 115
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

F@#k Microsoft.

I joined the uprising !