The Official? WWDC Prediction Thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, with less than a month to go until the WWDC, I thought I would start the annual pre-WWDC "what's coming" thread.

Here's what I think we all know is coming:

1. iPhone OS 3.0

2. New iPhone model (perhaps with Carbon Fiber shell?)

3. Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server progress and release date

Apple usually doesn't do more than 4 things at these keynotes...so if there's going to be a surprise "One more thing," I wonder what it will be?

— Cheaper Macs (perhaps)

— Tablet/larger iPhone concept (not likely)

— 15" MacBook Air (not likely)

— PowerBook G5 (never)

????

Seems rather anti-climactic this year when you think about it. Almost rather routine. Is Apple becoming more predictable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

OK, with less than a month to go until the WWDC, I thought I would start the annual pre-WWDC "what's coming" thread.

1. iPhone OS 3.0

Apple usually doesn't do more than 4 things at these keynotes...so if there's going to be a surprise "One more thing," I wonder what it will be?

? Cheaper Macs (perhaps)

? Tablet/larger iPhone concept (not likely)

? 15" MacBook Air (not likely)

? PowerBook G5 (never)

????

Seems rather anti-climactic this year when you think about it. Almost rather routine. Is Apple becoming more predictable?

iPhone/iPod Touch:

SDK 3.0 hits with some "hidden" features revealed (video capture etc)

Partnerships are announced regarding the new accessory API..demos ensue.

iPod Touch and iPhone updates are announced. iPod Touch gains camera and 64GB model

Both models have much faster hardware with faster ARM chips and PowerVR SGX GPU

Pro Apps :

Just prior to the WWDC Apple announces Final Cut Studio 3. Final Cut Pro sees its biggest UI change since the product launched. Motion becomes Motion Pro and assumes the functionality of Shake. Soundtrack Pro goes bye-bye and is replaced by a new Logic version that is tailored for video producers. ProRes moves to 10-bit 4:4:4 video requires beefy Mac and a fast array.

Logic Studio 2 is announced. New plugins and effects and more internal optimizations make the suite more nimble. Soundtrack Pro, again, is gone replaced by a new mode in Logic Pro that is tailored for video. Mainstage sees a large upgrade with far more configurability and UI changes.

Apple demos these apps using beta Snow Leopard versions showing 8 cores pegged on the newest Mac Pro. Video playback in Logic Studio is smooth as butter because of Quicktime X. All apps are 64-bit and love having more RAM at their disposal.

Hobby no more :

Apple TV is revved. New model is ARM based and entry level contains a small portion of SSD storage for quiet operations and buffering. New low end models starts at $159 80GB and 320GB models are offered. UI is revamped and API are created for developers to take advantage of new model. 1080p support is offered yet Apple makes no bones about admitting that 1080p is NOT coming to the iTunes store anytime soon. Apple TV 3rd gen is basically an iPod Touch in a case. ARM processing and PowerVR SGX graphics. The primary difference is an Imagination decoder (VXD) that enables easy playback of 1080p video.

One more thing :

Apple announces their iTablet. 10" touchscreen tablet with 4 buttons at the bottom. There are 3G options available (with subsidy) from AT&T. $699 runs Snow Leopard but also has a compatability mode for running iPhone apps. Runs on ARM Cortex processing with SSD storage. $699 entry system $899 for a beefier config. Sits in a nicely scultped dock which has an optional wireless mouse/kb (bluetooth). Built in screen protector and a special "eBook" mode which grays the background and anti-aliases the text for easy reading.

Non 3G version available in a month. 3G versions available in Sept/Oct timeframe. Apple also announces that SDK 3.5 will contain iTablet specific frameworks for leveraging the larger resolution and tapping Core Touch API. That API will be available Q3/A4 2009.
  • Reply 2 of 109
    Didn't I hear a Voice sing in Januari

'the best is yet to come'

Better than 64-bt Pro App's ?
  • Reply 3 of 109
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Beyond a new iPhone I doubt you'll see any kind of hardware announcement. This is the wrong kind of event for that to happen. We go through this every year. Someone will bitch and complain because Apple didn't release any new hardware. You can count on it! Aww...no new MacPro, or no new MacBook Pro, etc....They forget this isn't a consumer conference. Its a developers conference so I would expect nothing other than software to be demoed, released, or announced. So that being said:

-iPhone 3.0 OS

-iPhone rev 3 hardware

-Snow Leopard Demo, possibly a release date.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    Quote:

...? PowerBook G5 (never)...

My personal favorite
  • Reply 5 of 109
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

My personal favorite

You probably forgot the Power Mac Dodecahedron.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    10.6 with a stress on mulit CPU and GPU computing

iPhone

No or little hardware as Intels next generation CPUs will arrive late 2009/early 2010 and ahead of that it is the MacPro that will really benefit from the GrandCentral and other multi-whatnot. Quad cored iMacs later this year and quad books and minis in 2010.

If they keep the current iPhone and make it a "budget" model with a substantial price drop, I will buy one
  • Reply 7 of 109
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple TV is revved. New model is ARM based and entry level contains a small portion of SSD storage for quiet operations and buffering. New low end models starts at $159 80GB and 320GB models are offered.

I would appreciate a Apple TV that is using a lot less power than their current device.

Is their something like the Nvidia Ion chipset but for ARMs?

Will Apple allow the playback of legal media that are not iTunes compatible at the moment.

Will Apple improve the support for many of the different codecs?
  • Reply 8 of 109
    1. iPhone OS 3.0 w/ New iPhone model

2. Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server progress and release date

3. Focus on Multi CPU and Multi GPU computing

Tied into No. 3, Graphics bump in the MBP line to GeForce GT 130M w/ double graphics memory
  • Reply 9 of 109
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Beyond a new iPhone I doubt you'll see any kind of hardware announcement. This is the wrong kind of event for that to happen. We go through this every year. Someone will bitch and complain because Apple didn't release any new hardware. You can count on it! Aww...no new MacPro, or no new MacBook Pro, etc....They forget this isn't a consumer conference. Its a developers conference so I would expect nothing other than software to be demoed, released, or announced. So that being said:

-iPhone 3.0 OS

-iPhone rev 3 hardware

-Snow Leopard Demo, possibly a release date.

I concur.
  • Reply 10 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Thus don't expect much that doesn't impact the developer community.

Quote:

1. iPhone OS 3.0

We all hope it is but honestly, I want it delivered when it is reasonably bug free. If it isn't delivered I do expect a delivery date.

Quote:

I'm not sure they would waste time at a developers conference for this. A new product added to the family, that developers need to be aware of maybe, but a simply upgrade iPhone I'm mixed on.

It is the right time of the year for a new iPhone but one shouldn't take that to mean it has to be delivered the week of WWDC.

Quote:

This will certainly be covered. I'm actually hoping for an update rather soonish as I'm hoping it unlocks some of the GPU power in my MBP. A lot of developer feed back seems to indicate that SL is not ready yet which really bothers me as I think it will be a better update than iPhone 3.0.

Quote:

The whole show could be tightly focused on software. If both OSes and the user apps that exploit them are close at hand then there won't be much time for anything else.

Quote:

? Cheaper Macs (perhaps)

? Tablet/larger iPhone concept (not likely)

? 15" MacBook Air (not likely)

? PowerBook G5 (never)

The only thing I could see them wasting time on would be tablet device. Especially if there are pecularities with that hardware/software that developers need to know about. I suppose one could make the same arguement about a new iPhone if it had a lot of features for developers to target. In the case of iPhone they would have to be significant.

Quote:

????

Strangest statement I've seen in years. When it comes to developers and new OSes Apple needs to be predictable to some extent. Other wise it would take forever to get software out that leverages a new OS version.

As to hardware at a developers conference, the reason to introduce it at WWDC is to get developers to come on board. That is why I'm biased towards something new appearing. Frankly some if the leaks seen in the OS betas point to hardware with new features. What is ready is the bigger question.

The best way to take WWDC is as a crystal ball that allows you to see what sort of features software will have in the near future.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 109
    daniel bdaniel b Posts: 73member
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/05/13wwdc.html

Quote:

A team of Apple executives, led by Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, will deliver the keynote

As expected. Jobs could still make an appearance, but I don't think so.

I agreed with the earlier posts that the tablet will most likey not be introduced at WWDC. Would divert the focus of the event.

If Apple wants the launch the tablet in time for Back to School, a separate event in July would be logical. That would also fit with the return of Jobs.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 12 of 109
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    With today's annoucements here is what I predict:

No new hardware will be debuted at the WWDC 2009. Its gonna be mostly about leopard and its going to be a boring show.

The real show will most likely be in at the end of June and it will be used just to showcase all the new Apple mobile products. Steve Jobs himself will be there to launch the products which will about the time when he said he would be back at Apple.

Watch, its gonna happen.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

1. iPhone OS 3.0

You've pretty much nailed down what will be announced, although I suspect Snow Leopard Server won't get much mention. There's simply no room to announce other major product, unless it's something minor like iSight (which was unveiled at WWDC). The show will start with Snow Leopard, then iPhone OS 3.0, and new iPhone model(s) as "one more thing."

Aside from PowerMac G5, aforementioned iSight, new ACD (23" and 30"), and Mac Pro, Apple hasn't announced any hardware at WWDC.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    New ACD's please!

Specially 30" and maybe a larger than 30".

iSight built-in.

Come on Apple, it has been ages...
  • Reply 15 of 109
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

With today's annoucements here is what I predict:

No new hardware will be debuted at the WWDC 2009. Its gonna be mostly about leopard and its going to be a boring show.

The real show will most likely be in at the end of June and it will be used just to showcase all the new Apple mobile products. Steve Jobs himself will be there to launch the products which will about the time when he said he would be back at Apple.

Watch, its gonna happen.

If you're a developer and it bores you then find another platform. If not, what the hell are you complaining about at a conference whose audience consists of developers?
  • Reply 16 of 109
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's hard to say what's crying out for an update in the lineup, other than the 30" ACD.

But I can't remember the last time WWDC was held and there wasn't one single new piece of hardware.

So something's coming.
  • Reply 17 of 109
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Frank,

Wasn't the 30-inch Cinema Display introduced some 5 years ago at the WWDC?

Apple may have backpedaled introducing it back at Macworld for a variety of reasons.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I would think they held back for one of the following reasons:

? 30" LEDs are still outside the price range.

? Mini-Displayport can't handle the load properly.

? DVI allows a wider base of potential buyers.

I still think it has to be something other than the 30" though. People will throw stuff at the platform if the only announcement is an update to a 5-year-old display that 90% of people can't afford.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you're a developer and it bores you then find another platform. If not, what the hell are you complaining about at a conference whose audience consists of developers?

What the hell is a matter with you? Did I say I was complaining? Gawd damn you can't even post to a forum anymore without dodging some damn watchdog on patrol.

I gave my predictions. Now go try and start an argument with someone else.

Besides, do you really think the WWDC sold out in record time this year just for the labs?
  • Reply 20 of 109
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hell I didn't even think MWSF was boring though I was waiting for new iLife and iWork updates since I skipped the previous iLife and was already a generation behind.

Consumers may be bored with a "Developers" show but they are accustomed to seeing the blinking lights and listening to beeps. They care not for the gritty "how's this work?" plumbing.

I think the iPhone is obviously coming. I don't see why people assume it's not. It's not going to have groundbreaking hardware changes. It's more about the SDK 3.0 and how developers will be leveraging the new API.

Snow Leopard is a biggie . Apple openly states it's the new foundation for future innovation.

PPC- Gone

Rosetta- Gone (I think)

64-bit- full on

Optimized- Grand Central Dispatch, OpenCL, new Quicktime etc.

Cocoa- the heir apparent got on the bus or get off.

I'm so glad WWDC is right around the corner. Once Snow Leopard ships we can start to prognosticate about what 10.7 is going to offer and that's a fun thing in my book.