An alternative argument for new iPhones at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully expect Jobs will come out on stage looking like this...

By the time Jobs is no longer able to stand on stage for Apple they will have created an OS (codenamed InfiniteLoop) advanced enough to imitate Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think a compass API would be very complicated...
  • Reply 43 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I fully expect Jobs will come out on stage looking like this...

More of that good ole gallows humor... oy!
  • Reply 44 of 86
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

I think the new iPhone needs to be available for sale the day that all those 2G first day buyers contracts expire. Sure they can roll on for a month but the point is those people are then entiled to upgrade.

If there is no new Apple iPhone to buy they might be tempted to get a new phone that isn't an iPhone. For instance they might get a Palm Pre and change networks.

If it comes out on that day then it's much more likely all those people that queued for the first iPhone will then queue for the 3rd iPhone on launch day. It would be highly in Apple's / AT&T's interests to tie these people up again for 2 more years plus the good publicity of huge launch queues again.

I agree but personally, due to apple tv, regardless of slow sales, the iPhone will never live up to it's potential. Instead of streaming video, hulu, slingbox, myspace, foxeports, MLB, flash, MPEG, xvid, and numerous others, apple fears it will lose sales to rentals.

I think whichever phone has the full on streaming will be the phone that wins. To sidetrack all the questions and lack of video steaming, apple will introduce some rather odd iPhone video ilfe sharing iMovie program. It will work at first, then become a novalty.

The Palm Pre is in the perfect position to take some marketshare. The are aging it well, waiting for the perfect window to launch. The ironic thing us that the iPhone is more than capable to be the media player and more, but like everything apple, a small minority, ie Apple TV, dictates the limits if the phone. Same thing with MacBook, small percent of Pro users would use MacBook for video audio, this no FireWire, low end GPU.

Apple really needs a change at the helm. Their resticted thinking is getting old, especially now in this world wide economy.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I agree but personally, due to apple tv, regardless of slow sales, the iPhone will never live up to it's potential. Instead of streaming video, hulu, slingbox, myspace, foxeports, MLB, flash, MPEG, xvid, and numerous others, apple fears it will lose sales to rentals.

I think whichever phone has the full on streaming will be the phone that wins. To sidetrack all the questions and lack of video steaming, apple will introduce some rather odd iPhone video ilfe sharing iMovie program. It will work at first, then become a novalty.

The Palm Pre is in the perfect position to take some marketshare. The are aging it well, waiting for the perfect window to launch. The ironic thing us that the iPhone is more than capable to be the media player and more, but like everything apple, a small minority, ie Apple TV, dictates the limits if the phone. Same thing with MacBook, small percent of Pro users would use MacBook for video audio, this no FireWire, low end GPU.

Apple really needs a change at the helm. Their resticted thinking is getting old, especially now in this world wide economy.

Edit. It should read. Thus no FireWire and dedicated GPU. iPhone impossible to edit on forums.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Oh God I want an announcement at WWDC SO BADLY.

ok, done now. Thanks for letting me get that out there.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Edit. It should read. Thus no FireWire and dedicated GPU. iPhone impossible to edit on forums.

You can edit on the iPhone but it could use some refining. The magnifier for selecting text in a large text windows with lots of text is slow, but this may be due to the low RAM. The only real problem I had, which is resolved in v3.0, was quickly removing parts of quoted text I didn't want to add in my reply.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    how about the fact that apple is said they are moving away form these big event type product announcements and doing announcement base on when it make sense and not wait until these predetermine dates.

I person think we will see more and more product specific announcement like we have been seeing on Apple's campus then doing these big hurrays.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Oh God I want an announcement at WWDC SO BADLY.

ok, done now. Thanks for letting me get that out there.

Even with a really cool Snow Leopard demo I still want hardware and I want it to be the next iPhone. I think there will be a lot disappointed people if they don't announce it.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coasterswim View Post

I don't see any reason they can't announce the new iPhone and have it available the same day. With the original phone, they had to get all the FCC approval and whatnot. Then when they added the 3G capability, they had to do the same thing. If you're just boosting the processor, ram, camera, and storage, I can't imagine that would require a new stamp of approval from the FCC, so they could instantly roll it out.

If they are using HSUPA, which I think is likey, or simply a different radio chip they will still need to get FCC approval. As these radios get smaller and use less power I would expect Apple to use better chips with each revision, even if they offer the same throughput as the previous model.

On top of that, having the devices shipped to the stores the morning of or the day before the announcement could offer too many opportunities for product leaks. Part of Apple's marketing genius is their control of how and when products get announced. It's annoying as hell, but if it wasn't working we wouldn't be here chatting it up.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:

Even with a really cool Snow Leopard demo I still want hardware and I want it to be the next iPhone. I think there will be a lot disappointed people if they don't announce it.

And of course the stock will plummet briefly. But seriously, how long have we been waiting for a 32GB iPhone? Just let me know its on the way.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    I generally agree with Gruber, but I don't see why Jobs would stop doing keynotes if his health recovers and he returns to Apple. He's great at it, why stop?

So far as WWDC & the iPhone 3.0, yeah, I expect Phil Schiller to make that announcement.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    golakersgolakers Posts: 2member
    I think they are both right. iPhone 3.0 will be announced at WWDC and launched at the end of June / early July.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

And of course the stock will plummet briefly. But seriously, how long have we been waiting for a 32GB iPhone? Just let me know its on the way.

Of course, yet MS has a major loss for the first time in 23 year and jumps up over 10% the next day. I don't understand the market.

I think 32GB is probably coming. I figured Apple would want to keep the iPod Touch at a higher capacity to make it more appealing when the sales were lower, but now that the Touch will likely be overtaking the iPhone I think that Apple will offer 32GB. Plus, it's been a long time since the devices have gotten a capacity increase.

Will they offer the 8GB model or just the 16GB and 32GB models? Will the 8GB be offered in an "iPhone Lite"-type device?

PS: Apple is getting to an issue with their falsh capacity. The next jump up in typical NAND fashion is 64GB and then 128GB. We can't expect this to happen quickly with such large jumps. I would much prefer for Apple to concatenate to smaller chips, like a 16GB and 32GB into a 48GB model instead of waiting for 64GB chips to get small enough and cheap enough for the device to be viable.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    The expectations are, as usual, getting out of control. 9to5Mac is now suggesting there will be upgrades to the MacBook family. That's in addition to the release of iPhone OS 3.0, a major new version of Snow Leopard and new iPhone/iPod touch with OS 3.0 installed. No way all that is going to happen.

I'm expecting iPhone/touch hardware and the Snow Leopard Developer Preview at WWDC.

We won't see new MacBooks until August/September, the same time frame as Snow Leopard release. Then in October we'll get new iMacs with LED backlighting.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    vailyluvailylu Posts: 2member
    Are Wall Street's anal.ysts still allowed to speak ? Why ???
  • Reply 57 of 86
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Are these guys trying to drive the market with what they "think". That is a suckers bet.

Bloggers are people with opinions of what other people do, and produce nothing physical or tangible but opinions. And you can't eat opinions.

Give me facts. I can work out the rest myself. And I would never trust my money to anyone who is not dealing in facts. This is why I lost almost nothing in the last year.

Ugh.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

Of course, yet MS has a major loss for the first time in 23 year and jumps up over 10% the next day. I don't understand the market.

PS: Apple is getting to an issue with their falsh capacity. The next jump up in typical NAND fashion is 64GB and then 128GB. We can't expect this to happen quickly with such large jumps. I would much prefer for Apple to concatenate to smaller chips, like a 16GB and 32GB into a 48GB model instead of waiting for 64GB chips to get small enough and cheap enough for the device to be viable.

Hardly anyone understands the market. Good news often causes drops and bad news can spur gains and stocks are manipulated with rumors and misinformation.

Does anyone know whether Apple is using two chips or just one in the current models? If it's only one then I doubt we'll ever see a 48GB model.

Until there's a 64GB model I won't be able to load my entire iTunes library so 8GB is enough.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    marvin42marvin42 Posts: 2member
    No one seems to be thinking there is the following possibility: if they want to pre-empt Palm, get developers ready and get a good release date Apple COULD have a special event ahead of the WWDC to announce the new iPhone and related product.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Hardly anyone understands the market. Good news often causes drops and bad news can spur gains and stocks are manipulated with rumors and misinformation.

I certainly don't understand it. Historically, I've done very well at making money from it, but I can't say I understand it, just the companies i invest in.

Quote:

Does anyone know whether Apple is using two chips or just one in the current models? If it's only one then I doubt we'll ever see a 48GB model.

One chip, as of now.