Unibody MBP keeps dropping wifi

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just bought a new MBP 15 inch about 4 weeks ago and for 2 weeks my wifi was fine. My router is a lynksys wrt54gl, brand new as well, and using wpa2 personal security.

seemingly at random, my wifi signal on my mac goes from perfect, to nothing, and it will not even detect my router anymore. i've tried all the fixes iv been able to find online (deleting keychain info, copying systems folder, deleting preferred networks and such). Usually the problem occurs right at startup, but it can happen at any time. the only solution iv found is going into my router setting and changing the channel of my wireless signal. this fixes the problem for the time being but it always happens again sooner rather than later.

does anyone know what i can do to fix this? im guessing it has something to do with the wireless channels on my router and the macs ability to connect to them, but iv tried all 11 channels available on my router, and the problem always comes back and i have to change again.

any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Hi buddy,

How many characters does your WPA 2 password have..??

Try this and see if it works.

1. Reset your Router.

2. Then remove this folder from the Mac HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Drag the complete folder (SystemConfiguration)on the desktop.

3. Connect everything back and create a new location.

4. Join your network.

5. If this fails then boot through the install disc and check if the Airport can find your network if yes then do an Archive and Install without Preserving.

6. If through the install disc also you cannot see the network then it is a HW issue and you would have to take the Mac to the Apple Store for service.

This is hoping that the Modem and the Router are working perfectly fine. In case you feel there is something wrong with the Modem or the Router DON'T perform step 5 and 6.

Hoping this would be of some help..!!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    my wpa2 password has 8 characters.

Do you want me to copy the folder to my desktop, then delete the one in the library? or simply make a copy on the desktop?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Simply drag the folder to the desktop make sure its not there in the preferences folder thats all.

Im sorry i did forger one important step previously here.

After removing the SystemConfiguration folder please restart the Mac else it will not show you anything related to network.

if your WPA 2 password is 8 characters then either one of the steps that are given above will fix it for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ok, i just finished moving the folder, restarting, and makign a new location. I've connected to my wifi and all is well so far, but only time will tell :P il post back tomorrow night with the results. also, would having a shorter password on my wpa2 help at all?

thanks for your help
  • Reply 5 of 9
    No dude its all the same.. the reason i asked for the WPA 2 password is that there are some issues if it is more than 11 characters it is not quite supported on the Mac. you can continue to have the same password.

Hope this does fix the issue..

Always glad to be of assistance pal..

Lemme know if the issue is fixed though..!!

Cheers.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    so far so good, its been 24 hours since the fix and i've not had a single problem, its never lasted this long before so its looking like its fixed.

thanks for your help
  • Reply 7 of 9
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonusFeatures View Post

Just bought a new MBP 15 inch about 4 weeks ago and for 2 weeks my wifi was fine. My router is a lynksys wrt54gl, brand new as well, and using wpa2 personal security.

seemingly at random, my wifi signal on my mac goes from perfect, to nothing, and it will not even detect my router anymore. i've tried all the fixes iv been able to find online (deleting keychain info, copying systems folder, deleting preferred networks and such). Usually the problem occurs right at startup, but it can happen at any time. the only solution iv found is going into my router setting and changing the channel of my wireless signal. this fixes the problem for the time being but it always happens again sooner rather than later.

does anyone know what i can do to fix this? im guessing it has something to do with the wireless channels on my router and the macs ability to connect to them, but iv tried all 11 channels available on my router, and the problem always comes back and i have to change again.

any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Your problem is the linksys router. I have a good quality apple router (airport extreme) and the link is never dropped. The linksys router is cheap and you get what you paid for.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    apple router is overpriced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

23x winner of customer choice awards on newegg. 2176 votes. 83% 5 stars. better than any routers rating on newegg.

never had a problem with this router before this.

airport extreme,

$180.00 for a wireless router with 3 ethernet ports? cmon -_- i got mine for 60 and it has more versatility that the airport extreme, and its no slower by any means. only thing the airport extreme has going for it is that its designed by apple to work with apple products flawlessly out of the box. il take my 60 dollar router that il have to spend 20 minutes setting up with the same end result.

and my problem stemmed from a file on my mac. when i fixed the file it fixed the problem.

not trying to defend my router. i could care less, just saying that everything with an apple logo and a jacked up price doesnt mean its better than those w/o those 2 things.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonusFeatures View Post

apple router is overpriced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

23x winner of customer choice awards on newegg. 2176 votes. 83% 5 stars. better than any routers rating on newegg.

never had a problem with this router before this.

airport extreme,

$180.00 for a wireless router with 3 ethernet ports? cmon -_- i got mine for 60 and it has more versatility that the airport extreme, and its no slower by any means. only thing the airport extreme has going for it is that its designed by apple to work with apple products flawlessly out of the box. il take my 60 dollar router that il have to spend 20 minutes setting up with the same end result.

and my problem stemmed from a file on my mac. when i fixed the file it fixed the problem.

not trying to defend my router. i could care less, just saying that everything with an apple logo and a jacked up price doesnt mean its better than those w/o those 2 things.

No it doesn't mean it is better. But I had the same linksys router you had and had nothing but problems. Now I have an apple extreme and no problems whatsoever while lasting 4-times more per lockup (from days to weeks or months). To me that is worth paying more.