Jaguar: Upgrade Install or Full Install?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does it make a difference?

I'm upgrading from 10.1... Should I just upgrade to 10.2 or should I reinstall from scratch. The only reason I ask is because I've noticed some people on these boards specifying that they did one or the other...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Archive is the way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Upgrade -- installs the new system right on top of your existing system files, replacing things as it goes.

Archive - moves all of your system files into a separate folder and cleanly installs the new system into place. Your "users" folder should make it through the transition just fine.

Clean Install - erases the entire disk and installs the system and apps from scratch. You lose EVERYTHING with this option; so, you should back up any files and apps you wish to keep before you start this.

I recommend the archive option. It has been reported that the regular upgrade option may cause problems later on because it leaves *everything* where it originally was, only replacing the changed files. I'm not sure why this causes problems for some people, but you should be warned.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Archive - moves all of your system files into a separate folder and cleanly installs the new system into place. Your "users" folder should make it through the transition just fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

except the "shared" folder, which you have to move by yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    i went with the "upgrade" install from 10.1.2

no problems have been noted, it avoids problems with archiving address files, favorites, etc ... everything came through unscathed.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I also recommend archive and install. It's the best compromise between clean and upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I did an upgrade install, and my PBG4-500 seems to run OK. I've noticed some speed improvements, but some GUI stuff still takes too long IMO. I imagine if my 18 month old supercomputer could use QE this wouldn't be an issue.

Only one program was/is seriously broken, and that is bluej, which I need to use for Java development at school. I can't keep it going for more than 5 minutes without it locking up hard.

I'm going to do an archive / install soon and see if that takes care of my problem, but everything else is running smoothly.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I did a regular upgrade installation and its running fine.

Definitely faster than with 10.1.5, don't know if doing a clean install would have made a difference.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Did upgrade install on PB G4 500, PowerMac G4 733 January DA edition, and Dual Gig Jan 2002 edition with no problems.

Oh and a Beige G3 w/500Mhz IBM copper PPC 750, 80 GB 7200 rpm HD, firewire/usb card and Rage Orion video card (disk was already partitioned 7.7 GB and 70 GB sections)

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Bigc ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 14
    if i decide to do a clean install and i move my applications folder to another hrddrive would i beable to move it back after the install and have my programs function correctly,,

thanks for you help
  • Reply 10 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dead Cillia:

<strong>if i decide to do a clean install and i move my applications folder to another hrddrive would i beable to move it back after the install and have my programs function correctly,,

thanks for you help</strong><hr></blockquote>

For the most part, you'll be ok. There are a few apps that use other parts of your drive to install fonts, etc. Those apps will likely need to reinstalled. Also, you'll probably have to enter your serial #'s, etc again, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    With some applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver, you'll either need to reinstall or back up the application support folder.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    thanks

i'll probly reinstall large programs anyway, im just concerned with finding all the little freeware programs i've amassed
  • Reply 13 of 14
    as a note, i did an archive install on a 17" iMac, and everything worked ok. but me being curious i decided to try the clean install just for kicks.

holy crap is it faster!

man, this little 800Mhz iMac actually zips along now. OSX is fast. not usable, not tolerable, not "ok" but straight out fast. made a HUGE difference in speed.

so here's my problem. i did an archive and install on my laptop 'cause i have a ton of files on here that i wasn't too keen on moving. however, after seeing the difference in speed between that iMac and my powerbook, i'm tempted to give a clean install a shot here. they're both 800Mhz, and the TiBook has way more ram, but is running a lot slower.

anyone out there try a clean install after doing an archive? if so, did it make a difference?

i have a ton of weird libraries on my machine and installs etc. i'm a bit nervous 'cause half i still want, and half i want to get rid of. don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 14 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm formatting my iBook drive tomorrow to give the Jag some real playground.

Everybody is just about going berserk over the speed improvements over 10.1.x, especially with a clean install, so, I feel it's worth the trouble of backing up, wiping the drive and do things right.

(and one argument in favor: drives can do with an occasional wipe, to avoid a horrible disease named fragmenting.)

Well, that's my two eurocents.