Apple's future iPods rumored to get cameras like iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple may be planning to add camera functionality to a couple of its next-generation iPod models, according to a new report, which also claims that upcoming iPhones will retain the handsets' existing form factor.

Citing tips passed on from one of its sources, Hardmac, the English-language version of France's MacBidouille, says that when Apple refreshes its iPod touch and iPod nano players later this September, both will feature a camera like the iPhone.

Despite some inaccuracies in Hardmac's earlier batch of rumors, adding a camera to the iPod touch may be a logical step for Apple, in that it would nearly double the market for camera-related applications on the App Store set to explode following the release of next-generation iPhones, which will include video recording capabilities as one of their biggest features.

The assertion that the more affordable and compact iPod nanos will also gain camera functionality is a bit more dubious but shouldn't be ruled out entirely. Although there's no developer platform surrounding the nano to help leverage such a feature, the players do include a built-in photo viewer.

Adding a camera to the nano may be a simple but material enough measure that could help drive upgrade cycles on the part of consumers, some of which may be turned on to the novelty of having rudimentary point-and-shoot capabilities built into a device they carry regularly, doing away for the need to tote a separate device more frequently.

Separately, the report cites the same sources as saying that this year's iPhones will feature "exactly the same shape and size than the current iPhone 3G, despite fakes and rumors circulating." This prediction is fairly consistent with one waged by a self-alleged insider in China, who outlined several specifications rumored for the new handsets in an overseas forum post first discovered by AppleInsider earlier this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    One word for this:

Nifty.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Another word:

Rumor.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Not bloody likely.....I say perhaps on the Ipod Touch...
  • Reply 4 of 48
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    … isn't the shiny back coming back on iPods this year?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

One word for this:

Nifty.

I believe you mean "snappier." No pun intended.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's rarely a good idea to make an unequivocal "never", so I think "very unlikely" is a good start on the nano.

I doubt that the camera would be behind the screen. Nanos are so thin they can't put a headphone jack on the top edge. There doesn't seem to be any other good place to put it, anywhere on the top edge would probably mean pushing the screen down. That's no good. Below the screen isn't so great either. If they do manage to squeeze in a camera, that would probably mean it's using an OLED screen, but that seems like a stretch in itself.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The iPod Touch sells more than the iPhone. It makes little sense to deliver an iPod Touch sans camera when iLife has had iPhoto forever.

The cameras should geotag and leverage video recording features as well. The iPod is no longer just a music player it's a multimedia and communications device.

I'll be waiting and in September I'll order 4 of these if they have the features I want.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

? isn't the shiny back coming back on iPods this year?

The shiny back has never left. It only disappears once in a while and only on the nanos.

I think most people have been wondering all this time why the camera was left off of the iPod touch, so it makes sense to put one in there. I don't see them putting one in the nano unless the nano gets a new form factor that allows it to use the iPhone OS though.

There's no super good reason that it would fail or anything, but it doesn't give the device much of an advantage without the software support that the other models enjoy.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    ianmac47ianmac47 Posts: 43member
    It makes a lot of sense on a Touch, especially if a future iphone differentiates itself further with video capabilities. Having a camera added to a nano though might add bulk, which is sort of the point of a nano. What Apple really needs to do is have a camera on at least one of their devices that can outright replace a point and shoot camera; until then iPhone cameras (and hypothetical nano and touch cameras) exist as little more than glorified toys.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I'd expect Apple to be trying to move all their iPods (bar the shuffle) to the iPhone OS platform, over the next couple of years anyway. A camera on the existing nano doesn't appear to make much sense to me - most people have a phone with a camera of similar quality, so why use their iPods? A camera on the iPod Touch would make sense, it could well happen when a front-facing camera is added to the iPhone, which would differentiate between them.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is a big thing if Apple develops a little common sense with respect to camera design. That is operation of a camera would be vastly improved with a mechanical shutter switch.

It is certainly a good idea if Apple can improve the camera technology over the current iPhone tech. However the big problem is that many buy a Touch to avoid iPhone's camera. Sad as it may be, camera aren't allowed every where and Touch solved that problem handily. Thus a camera could be seen as a negative for many.

Frankly I kinda wish Apple would punt with the cell phone tech and implement a bigger sensor. That is up the quality to a point and shoot sensor and optics system. It would go a long way on a Touch type device.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't really see a need to create artificial differentiation between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

The differentiation is already there. One makes phones calls through a cell carrier the other does not.

As much as I like the iPhone i'm not breaking my Sprint contract to get one. Even a cheapo phone comes with a camera so it's about time to add a camera to a device that Apple's asking 200+ dollars for.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Since analysts and bloggers are reportedly weighing in with predictions of WWDC or Post-WWDC introductions of new iPhone models, I'm going to go ahead and round out the field by predicting that new iPhone models will appear *before* WWDC.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    I know that there is the NightCamera app that helps, but without a flash indoor images, especially in the evening, are nearly impossible to get of any quality. So Apple could add as many megapixels they want, but no flash still means blurry images.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    My prediction will come true if this happens. I bought my iPod Touch last fall suspecting that this would most logically be the next step for Sept09. Of course at the time told no way and I was accused of complaining. It will really be amazing if it can shoot video as well and has the high resolution camera as the iPhone- perfect.

And all of it without AT&T.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    will a new touch come in june?? my foriegn exchange student and my little girl want to buy a touch "soon" one leaves for japan june 21
  • Reply 17 of 48
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may be planning to add camera functionality to a couple of its next-generation iPod models

I'd rather have GPS in the Touch before a camera. Most people with a Touch are probably already toting a phone with camera.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

upcoming iPhones will retain the handsets' existing form factor.

this year's iPhones will feature "exactly the same shape and size than the current iPhone 3G, despite fakes and rumors circulating."

Further evidence is new case styles showing up in Apple stores this close to a product update.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    I can think of a lot of things I'd rather see changed about the iPod Touch than adding a camera. Like better battery life. (My 2G dies in about an hour of watching video. Pathetic.) Most people who have an iPod Touch probably already have a camera phone.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

It makes a lot of sense on a Touch, especially if a future iphone differentiates itself further with video capabilities. .

They don't have to differentiate. You need phone and 3G data capabilities, you get the iPhone. wifi good enuf? get the touch.

It makes no sense to me that they would put a camera on the touch and not enable video.

Again, the touch surprised even Apple with its success. It's no longer the red-haired stepchild.