iPhone speculation heats up around mysterious Best Buy entries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow, what a load of crap. AT&T does sell other phones besides an iPhone. Of course some are dumb enough to believe it.

Right- it's 3 other new AT&T 3G phones that run a SlingPlayer Mobile application .
  • Reply 22 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I love how the screen shot says 'Artist Description'.

Not that they just repurposed their CD catalog software or anything?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    "scrap-p-ping the bot-t-tom of the bar-r-rel"

Khm... Love pretty much how it's said! Exactly so. Exactly so.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If you add up each digit in the Item number and then divide by 5 (number of letters in 'Apple'), you get the model name of the iPhone in question (after adding 5,633 to the result). Convert the first digit to an 'M' (Apple model numbers usually start with an 'M').

On a related note, who watched the 'Lost' finale?

No lost finale spoilers please. I'm taping the whole season.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    PLEASE no Lost spoilers, it doesn't air in the UK until Sunday night.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i live less than two blocks from the moscone center (where the wwdc will be held in a few weeks). i just walked by and there was a homeless guy holding a sign stating his name was david and that he needed *cash*.

i'm guessing that may align with some form of code-naming convention by which <some new apple device> will be given the "David" nickname using the phonetic alphabet and for which they'll charge a hefty sum.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    There's reason behind speculations about "Charlie". The new part (model) number will most probably be "MCxxxxx".

But, Goodness, what a little they all have to speak out!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    You guys are being harsh, this article does contain data, and could almost be thought of as 'information'.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's surely no secret that new iPhone hardware is due in the coming weeks,

because what. they released new phones the last two years. so of course they have to release a new phone this year.

what I find interesting is that this time last year it was a headache and a half to find a store that had phones in. and it seems that shipments had already stopped.

but I went to my local store to pick up some software and they had like 10 phone sales in progress when I walked in and two more (including one for 5 phones) start while I was there. and my best friend walked right into another store with no worries to buy phones for herself and her husband.

makes you wonder why they didn't plan to sell out early against so folks would have the big jones for the 'new phone' when it will of course be announced (if not released) in 3 weeks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

If this is pointing toward iphone models and not anything else then it would mean that the media tablet will not be shown at the WWDC.

??? love that logic. if they release a new phone they won't release anything else new. did the new imacs stop them from releasing a new mac pro tower, a new mini or (gasp) the 17inch macbook pro at the same time. no.

IF, and I mean that every every strongly, there is a new netbook/tablet releasing it or at least announcing it, at the same time as a new phone would make total sense. because said device would be 3g capable if it was to be any good. so the two fit together beautifully.

but as I inferred above, I'm siding with the folks that believe that Best Buy is making an assumption, much like a great deal of the public that there has to be new phones cause there were last year.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

best buy is also going to sell the Pre come first week of June. and there are stories of multiple models for different carriers

spoilsport
  • Reply 31 of 42
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    In Mexico...Project Carlos? he
  • Reply 32 of 42
    lopsidedlopsided Posts: 20member
    Apple rarely overlaps its major product announcements, this way each product gets it's own clear attention in the media. WWDC will be all about Snow Leopard. There will be no major hardware announcements out of WWDC. Apple knows that this is their one shot at blunting Microsoft's Windows 7 product that has already gotten lots of good press. Apple needs to make a clear distinction between how solid and reliable 10.6 is vs. the Vista bug-fix known as Windows 7.

New iPhones will be announced at a separate event in late June or early July.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Charlie? as in "Alph, Bravo, Charlie..." A, B, C - 1 2 3

Charlie = 3rd Gen iPhone?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

Apple rarely overlaps its major product announcements, this way each product gets it's own clear attention in the media. WWDC will be all about Snow Leopard. There will be no major hardware announcements out of WWDC. Apple knows that this is their one shot at blunting Microsoft's Windows 7 product that has already gotten lots of good press. Apple needs to make a clear distinction between how solid and reliable 10.6 is vs. the Vista bug-fix known as Windows 7.

New iPhones will be announced at a separate event in late June or early July.

But WWDC is only showing off Snow Leopard, like Leopard was shown off at WWDC 2007. THey're not going to be releasing 10.6 at WWDC. Apple "announced" the product at WWDC2008 a year ago. They're going to be giving a beta update at WWDC 2009, and depending on how it goes, a rough release date (Q3).

There will be an iPhone hardware announcement like there was last year. Announcement, but not release at WWDC, but likely giving a release date a week or so after.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right- it's 3 other new AT&T 3G phones that run a SlingPlayer Mobile application .

I see more commercials for AT&T and the LG phone than I do for the iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I see more commercials for AT&T and the LG phone than I do for the iPhone.

I saw a new full page add yesterday in NY papers this week for AT&T's new Nokia's 3G phone.

They keep adding and adding more 3G phones and netbooks to their already lousy network.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Man, I'm still stunned that it turned out Hugo is the Smoke Monster and that he came from outer space a thousand years ago.

Just kiddin'
  • Reply 38 of 42
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Okay, okay ... I've come up with something here ...

I've converted the letters in Charlie to their sequence number in the alphabet. Adding these up equals 56. Divide this number by the number of letters in Charlie and you get 8. This just amazingly happens to be 2 the 3rd power. Hmm, the power of 3? Three iPhones perhaps? Yes, YES ... and the number two coincidentally has the same number of letters as the word JOBS .. IF ... you subtract the result by taking the total number of letters in Steve (5) and then subtract the number of letters in Jobs (4) which equals 1.

That's it!!!!! Steve Jobs is going to preview 3 new iPhones!!!! and that happens to be the number of entries in the Best Buy pricing scheme. Robert Langdon probably has an iPhone.

or not.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    If you go to BestBuy.com and type in the item number for the Samsung Rugby phone, it pulls up the same info on their website. It appears somewhat legit. Some of the other item numbers come up also except for the Charlie 1, 2 and 3.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Pic of Oolong the Rabbit at http://morgan.scotblogs.wooster.edu/...y_pancake1.jpg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The answer lies in the very first sentence of the piece...

LOL. And we comment anyway.