I have proof Leopard destroys hard drives

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have now installed Leopard on two PowerMac G5's in the same office, and both times the Leopard install has managed to permanently damage the hard drives. The first install wrecked the HD and I managed to recover nearly all data after purchasing and installing a replacement 500GB drive and copying over the old data. The second computer I completely backed up the pre-Leopard OSX data to an external drive, erased the original 160GB drive and installed Leopard. After the install, I transferred the external files onto the Leopard HD and the very same damage to the files (and apparently the HD) that was caused on the first machine was replicated on the second computer. I'm taking this complaint directly to Tim Cook. Leopard is a dangerously unstable install on anything other than a MacIntel, apparently. BEWARE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have now installed Leopard on two PowerMac G5's in the same office, and both times the Leopard install has managed to permanently damage the hard drives. The first install wrecked the HD and I managed to recover nearly all data after purchasing and installing a replacement 500GB drive and copying over the old data. The second computer I completely backed up the pre-Leopard OSX data to an external drive, erased the original 160GB drive and installed Leopard. After the install, I transferred the external files onto the Leopard HD and the very same damage to the files (and apparently the HD) that was caused on the first machine was replicated on the second computer. I'm taking this complaint directly to Tim Cook. Leopard is a dangerously unstable install on anything other than a MacIntel, apparently. BEWARE!

^ He blows goats, I have proof.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    If you call that "proof", then you must have failed any science classes you may have taken.

Even a lawyer would only consider that as circumstantial evidence. (And Lawyers are even lower than the aforementioned goats!)
  • Reply 3 of 37
    grnxnhamgrnxnham Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Is this a serious post or a joke?

Sorry, I am unsure.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

^ He blows goats, I have proof.

What's your problem, jackass?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If you call that "proof", then you must have failed any science classes you may have taken.

Even a lawyer would only consider that as circumstantial evidence. (And Lawyers are even lower than the aforementioned goats!)

Having nearly identical hard drive issues, on nearly identical computers ONLY after a Leopard install? Not exactly random chance.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:

Leopard is a dangerously unstable install on anything other than a MacIntel, apparently. BEWARE!

Better tell that to the G5's and G4's i've installed it on ... and it's been running on ... since it was available... with the same HDD's that are still working flawlessly.

Since no one else is reporting the problem, I'm kinda thinking it's other software you have installed that's causing the problem ... Leopard has been installed on how many millions of computers?... and your 2 have a problem.

In any case... what you've done comes nowhere close to narrowing the problem down to the Leopard software. It COULD be the case, but it could just as easily be from something else you've got installed on them.

My point being: you DON'T have PROOF that Leopard destroys hard drives.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

Having nearly identical hard drive issues, on nearly identical computers ONLY after a Leopard install? Not exactly random chance.

Uh, it's actually really difficult for software alone to physically damage a hard drive and cause it to fail. What brand of HD did you use? What model? Do those models have history?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Silly boy, don't be so irrational!

Stuff happens so get over it and stop acting like a spoilt child.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Silly boy, don't be so irrational!

Stuff happens so get over it and stop acting like a spoilt child.

• Reply 10 of 37
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    While your experience is definitely unfortunate, what others are trying to point out (some more eloquently than others) is that two systems does not constitute a sample size large enough to constitute alarm. Furthermore, you would have to eliminate other external variables that might affect your results.

Thus I think your thread might have been better utilized as a query for other users who might have experienced similar issues, rather than jumping to a quick conclusion as you have done.

Just my $0.02.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Of course he has proof. 2 + 2 = 4, doesn't it. I live in Florida. Florida has sunshine almost every day. Sunshine causes sun tan. Ergo - all that sunshine has given me a great tan. NOT.

Disraeli said there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    To accuse an operating system of damaging disk drives in the year 2009...

I use Leopard on my G4. Been using it since it came out. No issues here.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member

Wow.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Exactly how can a software program physically destroy a hard drive?

More likely is that you had bad luck and got two defective drives in a row. I've installed Leopard on a Power-PC Mac and had no problems at all.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Be a professional:

Answer the following questions to help you diagnose if low level behavior of these drives are at fault, combined with third party addons.

Quote:

From HazardousPaste

Uh, it's actually really difficult for software alone to physically damage a hard drive and cause it to fail. What brand of HD did you use? What model? Do those models have history?

• Reply 16 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

What's your problem, jackass?

Ever seen Wayne's World?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Spammy, King up there has a good lead there. I'm willing to bet there is some incompatibility with Leopard and some software you install along with it. Software won't ruin hard drives but it can wreck the partition map of the drive and make it behave very slow and look like a software issue. Try this: use Disk Utility to repartition the drive, even if it is only one partition. Instead of Current, set it to 1 partition in the pull down menu. Then reinstall Leopard.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I doubt the OP ever took a science class or any class for that matter.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    xgrewellxxgrewellx Posts: 22member
    Don't feed the troll people, it's bad for your health
  • Reply 20 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Acting like a jackass is no way to get help either...