Need Some Opinions On External Hard Drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I went to the apple store today for my lil 2 year old macbook and the guy told me that he could see my hard drive was starting that horrible journey into failure and that I should get an external one

Does anyone know where I can get a good one thats not too expensive, my funds are kinda limited

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have a Seagate Free Agent to go, two of them actually. I also have a Seagate desktop external HDD which is connected to my new iMac.

So far so good. I've been very pleased. They aren't the cheapest though. But they do have FW 800 and USB ports, which I like.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i like the firewire buspowered iomega igo 500gb red its small, bus powered i used superduper to clone my drive and its small does get hot when i cloned 100gb, but slick

also OWC makes one small with a clear case cool

easy to take anywhere and NO power brick
  • Reply 3 of 3
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i like the firewire buspowered iomega igo 500gb red its small, bus powered i used superduper to clone my drive and its small does get hot when i cloned 100gb, but slick

also OWC makes one small with a clear case cool

easy to take anywhere and NO power brick

good advice

GO TO THE OWC web site and buy from them

there very good .

if you buy cheap and the HD fails your screwed if you lose important stuff like i did

i lost 400 gigs of raw film .

you may want to do what many are now doing

instead of one large drive << 1TB >>

many people now buy 2 x 250 gig drives . so your data is not all in one basket . need more room in the future then buy a third drive and by then the price should have dropped some .