Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard: Microsoft's comeback plan

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    Reminiscent of iLife, Microsoft has also taken Photo Gallery and Movie Maker out of the Windows package and will now offer the apps as a separate downloadable package, albeit free, called Windows Live Essentials. The package also includes the formerly bundled Windows Mail, Live Messenger, and Writer. This may help shrink Windows 7's disk footprint profile in comparison to Vista for review purposes, but it's not clear why this is listed among Windows 7's core new features in the company's marketing.

Rather than attempting to sell these apps as Apple does with iLife, Microsoft is hoping to direct attention toward its Live offerings, which include the company's email (Hotmail), Messenger IM, and other online services that primarily compete against Google's products. By making Windows 7 users sign up with Live to download their basic apps, Microsoft hopes to better leverage its operating system monopoly to increase its web services audience at Google's expense.

================

debt help

Growth Stock
  • Reply 102 of 124
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Personally I can't wait for Windows 7. 64-bit goodness (I want 4GB RAM to be recognised as 4GB not 3GB!!!), although I hope they work out the drivers so graphics and stuff are smooth, gaming is optimised, ATI drivers do not show artifacts, the Nvidia chipset I have works well, and I hope Linksys makes the bloody Windows 7 64-bit driver for my brand new Linksys 802.11G PCI card (They don't have a Vista 64-bit driver, only 32-bit... That's one of the reasons why I'm still on Vista 32-bit).

Your BIOS determines whether or not your OS will have access to 4 GB and not the ceiling of roughly 3092MB.

I'm 64bit in Linux and my BIOS from Asus not having any recent updates has me locked at that ceiling with the BIOS hording > 900MB for the "system."

Newer equivalent systems don't have this limit.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

Why don't they just fix Vista?

Because they are still too busy fixing DOS.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangaraj1987 View Post

Rather than attempting to sell these apps as Apple does with iLife, Microsoft is hoping to direct attention toward its Live offerings, which include the company's email (Hotmail)...

Microsoft blew it when they turned Hotmail into WIndows Live or whatever the hell they call it now, because it broke for many people, especially Mac users. I remember trying to log into my Hotmail account after MS changed it to Windows Live, and the browser got into a looping page re-load that eventually ended in an error message.

That's when I decided to move to G-Mail, like millions of others.

Microsoft seems to have the knack of buying a perfectly good service/product and screwing it up royally once they get their hands on it.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I may be out of line here, but isnt apple doing the same thing with Snow Leopard, fixing and optimizing leopard, and maybe tossing in a new gui?

Except that Apple isn't "fixing" Leopard in the same sense that MS is fixing Vista. Nothing major is broken in Leopard. Frankly, Snow Leopard is like any other upgrade to Mac OS X. It just happens to sport almost the same name as 10.5. I don't think anyone can argue that Leopard was fixing and optimizing Tiger. Why would anyone argue that Snow Leopard is fixing and optimizing Leopard.

Apple has *always* been optimizing OS X...since day 1. It's not exclusive to the Leopard -> Snow Leopard transition.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Apple has *always* been optimizing OS X...since day 1. It's not exclusive to the Leopard -> Snow Leopard transition.

Very good point.
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Wow, this is one contentious forum. Personally, I "switched" back in 1990 after a Dos/Windows debacle. My boss showed me his Macintosh SE/30 and I haven't looked back since. I use Windows at work because that's what corporate buys, it's XP Pro. It does what I need it to do (writing reports, email, schedules, blah, blah, blah...) I'm fine with that, but I'm a Mac at home and that makes me happy.

All of you Windows guys should lighten up, this is an Apple related website after all. Did you think that anyone would be sympathetic about your choices here? Humans can be very territorial, you know...
  • Reply 108 of 124
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I don't think Windows 7 will flop. it will succeed because the sheeple who are stuck with Vista will upgrade to try and make their computers usable. Add the so called PC giants who can't look past Windows on their machines into the mix and it is a sure win. Dell has already cribbed about the pricing of Windows 7.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangaraj1987 View Post

Reminiscent of iLife, Microsoft has also taken Photo Gallery and Movie Maker out of the Windows package and will now offer the apps as a separate downloadable package, albeit free, called Windows Live Essentials. The package also includes the formerly bundled Windows Mail, Live Messenger, and Writer. This may help shrink Windows 7's disk footprint profile in comparison to Vista for review purposes, but it's not clear why this is listed among Windows 7's core new features in the company's marketing.

Rather than attempting to sell these apps as Apple does with iLife, Microsoft is hoping to direct attention toward its Live offerings, which include the company's email (Hotmail), Messenger IM, and other online services that primarily compete against Google's products. By making Windows 7 users sign up with Live to download their basic apps, Microsoft hopes to better leverage its operating system monopoly to increase its web services audience at Google's expense.

================

debt help

Growth Stock

We need one of those iLife Vs. Windows Live Essentials threads to put a reality check in place.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

I don't think Windows 7 will flop. it will succeed because the sheeple who are stuck with Vista will upgrade to try and make their computers usable. Add the so called PC giants who can't look past Windows on their machines into the mix and it is a sure win. Dell has already cribbed about the pricing of Windows 7.

Make their computers 'usable'? Oh please. So you are saying all those millions of vista machines around the world don't work? I have two of them and funnily enough, they work just fine. The ridiculous lies spread by Mac zealots is hilarious.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I think Windows 7 will be a success in terms of user adoption compared to Vista but nowhere near the Windows 95 excitement. However, the damage Vista did to Microsoft will not be undone.

The major takeaway from Vista flop is that Microsoft can no longer command the PC world the way it did for years. Dell, HP at al. are no longer Microsoft's silent slaves, MS will need to listen to them.

The Vista flop showed that:
    1. Not every shit out of MS is doomed to succeed.

2. MS can promise much more than it can deliver.

3. There ARE alternatives.

In fact, the points above were pretty obvious for the thinking IT-related crowd for years, say, since Cairo fiasco. But not for the average Joe.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduararipe View Post

Microsoft is pathetic. Announcing features that were already in there, charging users... And the worse is that a lot of the people I know want to buy Windows 7 but would never ever buy Vista. Microsoft is fooling its consumer base...

The reason I get to not to switch to Apple is price, they rather buy a $999 computer every year and spend some $100's in support then buying a $1299 Mac and keeping for two.

I think the funny part was when someone tried to legitimised why it costs more for an upgrade version of Windows that has more features - isn't the whole purpose of an upgrade is because it contains new features not found in the old version? When you have a company who thinks that people just move from one version of Windows to the next version with no added features - you know they've lost touch with reality.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdawg View Post

You could be a little less bias in this article. Using your logic Snow Leopard should be called Leopard SP1.

Show me a service pack provided by Microsoft which upgraded the operating system to 64bit.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Nor see I. But I ask myself when Google will go against Spotlight integration in OSX.

Why would they go against it? it isn't threatening any of Google's home turf so I don't see anything happening. Google is already the default engine in Safari so I don't know what the heck you're going on about because the issue had nothing to do with local search but when the local search was linked to the online service and there was no way a user could choose to integrate an online search from another vendor besides Microsoft. The issue was integration between online and offline search and allowing users to choose their online search engine to be integrated with their offline search facility.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's BIASED, goddamn it!! The adjective form of "bias" is BIASED.

"Bias" is a noun. "Biased" is an adjective.

When you say "This article is too bias" you are talking like a monkey. For fuck's sake.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's BIASED, goddamn it!! The adjective form of "bias" is BIASED.

"Bias" is a noun. "Biased" is an adjective.

When you say "This article is too bias" you are talking like a monkey. For fuck's sake.

Come on, at least it isn't as bad as the idiot who puts this in their signature:

False comparisons do not a valid argument make.

Bad English much?
  • Reply 117 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Pet peeve, and it seems to be becoming more widespread.

I guess it has something to do with becoming a post-literate society, wherein people don't read enough (outside of IMs and Tweets and email) to see how things are spelled, so we end up with "close enough" homophones, ala "doggy dog world" or "for all intensive purposes."

Which at least are entertaining, but if we're going to start dropping suffixes just because they're easily misheard, I will be outrage.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Come on, at least it isn't as bad as the idiot who puts this in their signature:

Bad English much?

It's Ol' Yoda English.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Bad English much?

So I'm an idiot because you can't comprehend my sig?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It's Ol' Yoda English.

Haha, I never thought of it that way. Now I am embarrassed.

Or I should say, now embarrassed am I.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Make their computers 'usable'? Oh please. So you are saying all those millions of vista machines around the world don't work? I have two of them and funnily enough, they work just fine. The ridiculous lies spread by Mac zealots is hilarious.

YMMV. I use Vista 64 Ultimate on my HP dv6314tx laptop with 2GB of RAM. The amount of time required for the system to be responsive after a reboot and login is ridiculous. Once it is up and running and the associated garbage of antivirus, etc. have had their chance to update themselves and finish their runs, the machine is usable -- but it is no where as responsive as Linux or OS X.

You might have the horsepower in your hardware to have a "snappy" Vista. But there are certainly many people with "Vista Certified" hardware who are stuck with poor performance. That is what Windows 7 is supposed to fix and people will fall for it.