anyone with a 500G seagate 7200 hard drive? I have a ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello there!

I just installed the 4G Ram easily but my next step is to install a bigger hard drive. I have the 120GB one. My question is when I install the new hard drive, do i start up the mac mini and load up the OSX restore disc that came in the box with the mini? I also installed iWork09, will I be able to install iWork09 in the new hard drive (i know the iWork09 only comes with 1 license key). Any help would be appreciated.

If I do have to load up the install disc, what are the steps I need to take to reinstall OSX on the new hard drive? How long does it take?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It's good to get an external enclosure like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-SATA-to-US...3A1%7C294%3A50

You would drop your 2.5" SATA Seagate drive into it and screw the back on. Plug it in via USB and into your machine. Open Disk Utility and in the partition section convert it to GUID partition map and HFS+ extended journalled.

Then download Carbon Copy Cloner:

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

and clone your internal onto it. On a newly installed computer, it will take about 15 minutes. Then reboot holding alt to check it boots ok.

Then just open the Mini up, take your drive out the enclosure and it's ready to go in. You can then take the drive you took out and put it in the enclosure to use or sell.

If you just put the drive in straight without cloning, you would format as GUID by booting up from the install disc. Then you would install and do all the apps again. The disc installation takes about 45 minutes. I would recommend the hard drive option as it's faster and you don't have to worry about moving accounts/apps/files over. The clone means you just start off exactly where you were on the old drive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    to make backups in the past, you can also opt for "Restore from backup". It's in OS X Installer application menu. Works quite well (except some international features).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The OSX install questions have already been answered.

As for iWork... the same license key will reactivate it on the new HDD. No worries there.

If you do a complete OSX install from the DVD, it's gonna take nearly an hour IIRC.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jizzle32 View Post

Hello there!

I just installed the 4G Ram easily but my next step is to install a bigger hard drive. I have the 120GB one. My question is when I install the new hard drive, do i start up the mac mini and load up the OSX restore disc that came in the box with the mini? I also installed iWork09, will I be able to install iWork09 in the new hard drive (i know the iWork09 only comes with 1 license key). Any help would be appreciated.

If I do have to load up the install disc, what are the steps I need to take to reinstall OSX on the new hard drive? How long does it take?

Thanks!

wow big drive dude

well i bought a 2.5in 500 g samsung triple drive from OWC

i paid the extra 30 bucks for the extra wires and backup system

dude using OWC was so easy

my 13 in black mac book now screams with a 500-gig drive

Room for every thing .

maybe google OWC and use their system . it was flawless