R.I.P. Powerbook... What should I buy now?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

So my powerbook totally died today. It was a good powerbook, but I suppose it's time for me to move on to a new computer.

Question is, what do I need?

I'm thinking of getting one of the new iMac 24 inchers. Is now a good time to buy? Any sign of updates in the coming weeks?

Should I buy now or wait?

Thanks,

flinch13

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xgrewellxxgrewellx Posts: 22member
    I just bought the 2.93 ghz 24" imac on saturday and its great. I would not be afraid in the least to buy now, as it looks like there will be no major hardware announcements other than the iphone at WWDC
  • Reply 2 of 5
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    That's good to know. I suppose I won't feel bad about buying one now that I actually need one.

I guess my only real concerns are:

Snow leopard (probably won't come out until it's too late for me)

Possible addition of touch interface to iMac in the future (I suppose this is unlikely)

Hard drive capacity bump (1TB to 2TB, but who's counting?)

As it stands I'm set to order in exactly two weeks. Anyone think I should wait any longer?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xgrewellxxgrewellx Posts: 22member
    I think 2 weeks is pretty fair. I bought the 2.93 ghz model and I would not buy the base 24" or the 20" as they do not have a dedicated gfx card. If you need it asap, buy now, but if you need two weeks to wait, you might want to wait until WWDC "just in case"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

Hey everyone,

So my powerbook totally died today. It was a good powerbook, but I suppose it's time for me to move on to a new computer.

Question is, what do I need?

I'm thinking of getting one of the new iMac 24 inchers. Is now a good time to buy? Any sign of updates in the coming weeks?

Should I buy now or wait?

Thanks,

flinch13

did you consider the 15 in alum uni body mac book pro

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...mco=NDE4NDI1Ng
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pkguy323pkguy323 Posts: 14member
    The good thing is, you have 14 days to return/exchange it once you buy it....so plan accordingly!