Apple may have made just $45 million from iPhone App Store

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Micro-payment is expensive. Generally, the credit card transaction charge a fixed amount (for example, 15 cents) and then a percentage (like 2%).

Among the 20M to 45M, Apple probably get 10M to 25M after the credit card expense.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_for_mci.html

Now we know what they wanted it for
  • Reply 43 of 49
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So between 950 million and 975 million apps were free?

Could be right. I've downloaded around 60 free apps and have yet to pay for one. There must be quite a few people like me aswell that just don't want to pay for them as they tend to get deleted a few days later.

Then there's probably a lot of kids that will be downloading every free game possible as they have no money to pay. Once you actually get to the category of people that pay for apps for each one of them there could be 5 other people that don't.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    20 apps in everyday usage, only one payable (5%).

Apple might not yet have understood, what AccuWeather did, but sooner or later they will, they will.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    zener42zener42 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johhny Motel View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_for_mci.html

Now we know what they wanted it for

The last poster on that article seemed to hit the nail on the head, didn't he.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

20 apps in everyday usage, only one payable (5%).

Apple might not yet have understood, what AccuWeather did, but sooner or later they will, they will.

Understand what? That most app downloads are free? Wouldn't they have all that information already? What does AccuWeather have to do with it?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Understand what? That most app downloads are free? Wouldn't they have all that information already? What does AccuWeather have to do with it?

AccuWeather (and they aren't unique) show ads inside "free" application. I'm not sure they share this profit with Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Sure seems like a good thing when it's someone else making that little money

Skip
  • Reply 49 of 49
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was about to say.

Compare and contrast to, say, Microsoft. Their new projects are called a success when they succeed in losing billions for years.