The Official? WWDC Prediction Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    xgrewellxxgrewellx Posts: 22member
    My prediction: A new iMac (26" through 30").

New iphone and iphone os3.0, but something ground-breaking will probably be in 10.6 and that will be the "one more thing".
  • Reply 22 of 109
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgrewellx View Post

My prediction: A new iMac (26" through 30").

New iphone and iphone os3.0, but something ground-breaking will probably be in 10.6 and that will be the "one more thing".

Will there be anything groundbreaking from apple before the end of the calendar year? And I don't mean just evolution of products. This tablet thingy is not guaranteed and right now I just don't "feel" it. The vibe that something extraordinary is coming in the next few months is just not there.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Besides, do you really think the WWDC sold out in record time this year just for the labs?

You don't think the combination of Snow Leopard and iPhone OS 3.0 had anything to do with that?

If I still had the spare time to justify a developer membership I'd be there with bells on. Those are two very significant releases.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    daniel bdaniel b Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Will there be anything groundbreaking from apple before the end of the calendar year? And I don't mean just evolution of products. This tablet thingy is not guaranteed and right now I just don't "feel" it. The vibe that something extraordinary is coming in the next few months is just not there.

Feel? Vibe? Could you be a bit more concrete?

I think there's been plenty of signs and rumors:

Rumors of 10" display orders.

Comments from Apple about the cramped keyboards of netbooks and also that that the iPhone fills many of the netbook needs.

In general, Apple should have it ready by now, given that they been working with touch for at least 5 years. Why not seize the opportunity now? The larger Kindle (DX?) has just come out. If it becomes successful, more universities and other organizations may commit to it.

Apple, bring it on.

/Daniel
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Feel? Vibe? Could you be a bit more concrete?

I think there's been plenty of signs and rumors:

Rumors of 10" display orders.

Comments from Apple about the cramped keyboards of netbooks and also that that the iPhone fills many of the netbook needs.

In general, Apple should have it ready by now, given that they been working with touch for at least 5 years. Why not seize the opportunity now? The larger Kindle (DX?) has just come out. If it becomes successful, more universities and other organizations may commit to it.

Apple, bring it on.

/Daniel

Well if there is going to be a hardware announcemtn at the WWDC including iphones and a tablet then Jobs not being back till the end of June is for a reason.

They want Schiller to host and debut major new products without Steve Jobs to see if the company can go on without him.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Rosetta- Gone (I think)

Noooooooooooooooo!

I refuse to move to office 2008. 2004 works just fine for me thank you.

Hopefully the next version of office (if there is another version of office for Mac) will actually have features that compel me to buy it.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    xgrewellxxgrewellx Posts: 22member
    Quote:

They want Schiller to host and debut major new products without Steve Jobs to see if the company can go on without him.

Why does everyone think AAPL will fail without Steve? I think they can go on, just as strong as ever. Sure, having the original co-founder as the head is awesome, but things change. I hope Steve gets better and returns, but I don't think the company will be in very much trouble if he does not.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    WWDC, I seriously think will be all about the iPhone.

They might preview or finally give a launch date for Snow Leopard. That's about it.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgrewellx View Post

Why does everyone think AAPL will fail without Steve? I think they can go on, just as strong as ever. Sure, having the original co-founder as the head is awesome, but things change. I hope Steve gets better and returns, but I don't think the company will be in very much trouble if he does not.

I'm not saying Apple will fail without Steve. But this will be the first time I think that apple will let someone else besides Steve Jobs debut a major product at an event. At least, it would be the first time since Steve's return to Apple over a decade ago now.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

WWDC, I seriously think will be all about the iPhone.

They might preview or finally give a launch date for Snow Leopard. That's about it.

Yup. There is no way the keynote will only be about a final snow leopard preview.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Noooooooooooooooo!

I refuse to move to office 2008. 2004 works just fine for me thank you.

Hopefully the next version of office (if there is another version of office for Mac) will actually have features that compel me to buy it.

Office now has major competition on the platform (NeoOffice, OpenOffice & iWork) so Rosetta's not a necessity for that anymore.

I have no idea why Photoshop 7.0 won't work in Rosetta, which is the only software I have left that I would need translation for.

If Rosetta dies with Snow Leopard, what other major apps are affected?
  • Reply 32 of 109
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Office now has major competition on the platform (NeoOffice, OpenOffice & iWork) so Rosetta's not a necessity for that anymore.

I have no idea why Photoshop 7.0 won't work in Rosetta, which is the only software I have left that I would need translation for.

If Rosetta dies with Snow Leopard, what major apps are affected?

Well I have office 2004 and its nice for opening office attachments sent my way. Most that I receive will open with 2004 so I guess many windows users aren't happy with the new windows version of office.

Other than that, I compose most of my docs with pages and use keynote for presentations. I still like excel better than numbers though.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I'm waiting for Aperture 3, expecting that it's been delayed because it requires Snow Leopard. What other apps will become Snow Leopard only?
  • Reply 34 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boy_analog View Post

I'm waiting for Aperture 3, expecting that it's been delayed because it requires Snow Leopard. What other apps will become Snow Leopard only?

I'm not sure I know the answer here but going out on a limb here I suspect a good portion of the Pro apps will go SL only fairly quickly. The consummer apps likely will be enhanced on SL but won't require it. At least the hope is there that Apple makes it easy to determine if the enhanced capabilities of SL are available. Apple does seem to be waiting for SL for many of the Pro apps.

On the other hand some apps couldsee significant gains even as consummer apps. So when the next release of iLife comes out their is the potential it will be SL only. This of course could drive sales of SL upgrades. The thing is there is the real possibility of enhancements you wouldn't be able to deliver without SL. So while it would cause considerable groans I could see many of the consummer apps becoming SL only in short order.

Dave
  • Reply 35 of 109
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure I know the answer here but going out on a limb here I suspect a good portion of the Pro apps will go SL only fairly quickly. The consummer apps likely will be enhanced on SL but won't require it. At least the hope is there that Apple makes it easy to determine if the enhanced capabilities of SL are available. Apple does seem to be waiting for SL for many of the Pro apps.

On the other hand some apps couldsee significant gains even as consummer apps. So when the next release of iLife comes out their is the potential it will be SL only. This of course could drive sales of SL upgrades. The thing is there is the real possibility of enhancements you wouldn't be able to deliver without SL. So while it would cause considerable groans I could see many of the consummer apps becoming SL only in short order.

Dave

I'm wondering if Apple might offer SL bundled with some new-release apps. A lot of people probably won't want to pay to upgrade to an OS with very few new features, so this way the apps become the "features".
  • Reply 36 of 109
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I believe Apple will spend significant part of the keynote talking about Snow Leopard. The talk/demos will include:

- The new UI (if any).

- Grand Central: some animations showing what it does and how it works plus some application performance demo. Activity Monitor shows the processor load and multi-core utilization.

- Open CL: demonstrating the huge performance advantage for selected tasks. Those will include some sort of scientific calculation (particles or something) and more game-related demo. The performance difference will be shown by a speed-meter app like the one they used to show the Quartz Extreme performance. It will show several hundreds percentage improvement.

The iPhone 3.0 SDK will also get a lot of attention of course.

If SL gets new UI but no new iPhone is announced during the conference SL will get the spotlight. But this is the less likely scenario. Both new SL UI and new iPhone(s) sounds too good to be true.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    iPhone OS 3.0

Snow Leopard

new iPhone

One more thing:

Apple TV act 3 and the launch of the Apple TV SDK
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

iPhone OS 3.0

Snow Leopard

new iPhone

One more thing:

Apple TV act 3 and the launch of the Apple TV SDK

Also have a feeling that the Apple TV will get a major software upgrade. Remember the poll they did months ago asking users what they would like to be added the most to their ATV.

And apps would be a great thing for the ATV. Even thinking that a new ATV will be coming out.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My predictions:

1. iPhone OS 3.0 (No focus on hardware this time, just the OS update)

2. The return of 99 cent pricing for songs on iTunes

• Reply 40 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boy_analog View Post

I'm wondering if Apple might offer SL bundled with some new-release apps. A lot of people probably won't want to pay to upgrade to an OS with very few new features, so this way the apps become the "features".

I really don't understand this negativity with respect to SL, it is going to have a ton of new features and improvements. Yeah a lot of it is not directly related to user apps, on the face anyways, but the improvements should be across the board for many users.

While I don't know if Apple will do this or not I'd love to see GPU acceleration offered up for my early 2008 MBP. Even if they dont i suspect that I will see an improvement in video playback simply because of the new quick time. That is a reason to up grade right there.

Even outside of media playback there ought to be plenty of other compelling improvements. Personally I might sit back a week or two until the early adopter reports come in, but that is just the way I am. I'm not expecting SL to work miricals with respect to the many simple apps I use. What I'm hoping for is that it surprises us with huge benefits with respect to the apps that can leverage it. This variance in what the user see vs what he expects will likely lead to user confusion about SL and it's value. One can only hope that Apple has a clear educational program ready.

As to user interface changes I expect they will be minor if any. First we have heard zip about this via leaks. Second I would imagine Apple would want to get this software base out into the field before doing major rework to the GUI. That major rework would be resolution independence and really deserves an OS release of it's own.

Dave