Missing Sherlock Channels

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, pull out your 10.2 box. (You did buy Jaguar, right? )

Now, look at the Sherlock window pictured right inside the box flap. You might notice that the 'Channels' button isn't there, which isn't a big deal. However, there are at least three other buttons that seem... odd.

One is 'Maps,' which appears to be an older name for the Yellow Pages channel. Not a big deal... someone just came up with a more descriptive name before the software was shipped.

However, there are two more channels that simply aren't in Sherlock: 'News' and 'Packages'. The first would be interesting enough, but package tracking in Sherlock? That would be especially nice!

So, does anyone have the scoop on these? Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Some channels are location specific (to the US). If you have told your system that you live in another country, Sherlock automatically disables channels that won't work for your region (like US maps and US package tracking)

If you go under Preferences->Countries and check United States, you'll suddenly the other channels
  • Reply 2 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Nope. I'm set to use the United States under Countries, and nothing else. My 'home' location is set to the US as well.

Any other possibilities?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    they're just not there. get over it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yea i was wondering about that too, packages and nes are gone and ebay has been added. Also a residential map/directions feature would be nice. Also no brushed metal as shown in this Think Secret Screenshot from July.

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 14
    My Channels don't work period.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>they're just not there. get over it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that was completely uncalled for. I was simply asking if anyone had information about why they were pulled or when they might come back. No need to be rude.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>

Well, that was completely uncalled for. I was simply asking if anyone had information about why they were pulled or when they might come back. No need to be rude.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ups...looks like it was early in the morning... I apologize.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Packages is probably not there because Apple ships a lot of stuff via FedEx. The FedEx tracking system seems to change quite a bit. Imagine trying to track your package from the Apple Store via Sherlock witha broken Packages search...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I don't have maps or packages or news either. Anybody in the US managed to get it to work?

PS, why don't we have a weather channel?????

EDIT: Weather

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Not Unlike Myself ]

REEDIT:

SWEET!!!! I just spoke with apple. All channels are switched on and off at their site. He said when they release iCal they will add 2 new ones to go with it. (this from a guy in Apple's education dept.).

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Not Unlike Myself ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I"m not getting full use of Sherlock either. Posted on another thread about no maps... would be nice as the Jag box shows that feature.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    imaximax Posts: 43member
    I think Sherlock 3 is great but I like Watson 1.5.5 even better! In addition to all the Sherlock channels, they have amazon, google search, meerkat, packages, phone (with residential listings too), recipies, TV, version tracker, zip codes and weather (including forecasts). It's $29 bucks for the download, but if you bought an Apple you must have the cash anyway!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>

ups...looks like it was early in the morning... I apologize. </strong><hr></blockquote>

No problem.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself:

<strong>SWEET!!!! I just spoke with apple. All channels are switched on and off at their site. He said when they release iCal they will add 2 new ones to go with it. (this from a guy in Apple's education dept.).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahh, now this is what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing, NUM. Hopefully iCal and iSync are released soon... I'm really looking forward to those.

Edited to correct a UBB code mistake.

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Kesh ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Still not getting maps, but the movie site which was not working yesterday is now up and running. Sherlock is really becoming a portal ala Google and the others.