Series of YouTube videos show off Apple's Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A YouTube user going by the name 'LeopardOctober' has recently posted over a half dozen videos taken from recent pre-release builds of Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system, showing off everything from QuickLook movie playback to the new QuickTime X interface.

All of the videos, as well as some screenshots, can be seen over at the user's YouTube page. Many of the videos must be accessed directly through the video file sharing site, as they cannot be embedded externally. For the most part, the videos highlight features and technologies that have been been disclosed and discussed.

For example, the first video provides an overview of advances to Snow Leopard's Finder, such as the "Put Back" option for returning items placed in the trash to their original location, high-resolution icons, nested folder navigation via a Stack's grid view, super-sized QuickLook movie previews, and the new universal keyboard shortcut preference pane.

Click to view this video at YouTube.

Another video shows how to assign applications to individual Spaces and also dives into demos of some of the more advanced text services that were detailed previously, such as text substitutions.

Also covered previously was the new interface for QuickTime X Player, which can be seen in the below video, complete with new trim controls and borderless playback. The player is also used to demonstrate Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's startup video in the following clip.

A fifth video shows a PDF being viewed as jumbo-sized QuickLook icons while a sixth details some new search-related preferences.

LeopardOctober's YouTube page was brought to our attention by the folks over at MacMagazine.com.br.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    For me I am getting the video is denied messages on the actual YouTube pages although the first link from here worked.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hmmm...I was able to see all of them. I'm not sure I clicked on them all but the ones I did worked fine.

The Leopard intro movie Apple usually doesn't implement a new one until around the final build. If I remember correctly, all of the Leopard test builds had the Tiger intro movie up until nearly the GM build.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I've enjoyed these.

Yes ..it breaks a potential NDA but these are just small touches that won't even be covered at WWDC most likely.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Besides, there's nothing useful or remarkable.

Controls in the new QuickTime window client area are really pitiable when watching small size clips.

The performance will hopefully impress me more than all that.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Hmmm...I was able to see all of them. I'm not sure I clicked on them all but the ones I did worked fine.

The Leopard intro movie Apple usually doesn't implement a new one until around the final build. If I remember correctly, all of the Leopard test builds had the Tiger intro movie up until nearly the GM build.

Just tried again, http://www.youtube.com/user/LeopardOctober only first one works for me, rest I get a denial. However they work on actual YouTube pages. Thanks for heads up to try again.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Controls in the new QuickTime window client area are really pitiable when watching small size clips.

The performance will hopefully impress me more than all that.

What's the point of watching small sized clips? If it's too dinky I don't want to watch it.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What's the point of watching small sized clips? If it's too dinky I don't want to watch it.

Khm... I don't know, why that guy did... Clips usually appear to be quite small in size, when you grab them from the web...
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Hmmm i'll have to pull up a small clip and see how the controls are affected.

I like the simple substitutions and cleaned up services menu.

I'll probably use Spaces more in Snow Leopard especially now that I have a 28" LCD.

I think these videos are only scratching the surface but then again Snow Leopard just doesn't have any whizzbang features and I really think Apple should be targetting a $69 price point.

I hope they deliver a Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard for a great price.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Isn't anyone going to say the obvious? Most of these videos cover features that have been part of Windows / Office for an extremely long time.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Wow. A video that shows the Put Back feature. Sorry, not impressed when that feature existed in System 7, 8, and 9, and should have been in 10.0.

So it shows off a pretty interface. The main point of Snow Leopard was to offer better optimization for Intel Macs. That is what people want to see. Since it is only a developer build, it is not yet fully optimized in itself.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Breaking the NDA on a Google owned site. How long before the videos are taken down? I'm guessing 2PM EST.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Uh, what's with the tampon icon (third down on left)? What does that do?

• Reply 13 of 112
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Uh, what's with the tampon icon (third down on left)? What does that do?

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidazzle/
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Stack navigation is wonderful.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    If only people who post stuff like this could still be publicly horsewhipped.

I guess this guy really needed to be taught something about right and wrong as a child though and it's probably far too late now.

Edit: at least they appear to have been taken down already.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I thought that video clip of George Michael dancing and singing in Hindi(?) was remarkable...
  • Reply 17 of 112
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

There are those of us that like to watch a video in the highest *quality* available, not the biggest *size* available.

Personally, I hate it when YouTube (and others, since most video sites do this), re-size the video to some arbitrary square on the web-site and then only give you the option of making it even bigger (full-screen) and fuzzier.

I want to see the actual footage, not some re-processed, stretched and optimised form of it. If it's some crappy cell-phone video that's only a couple of hundred pixels on a side, there is no advantage to having it stretched and blurred into a larger format IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I thought that video clip of George Michael dancing and singing in Hindi(?) was remarkable...

Oh, I could not see him well because of those pitiable controls in client area...
  • Reply 19 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Isn't anyone going to say the obvious? Most of these videos cover features that have been part of Windows / Office for an extremely long time.

Which features are those? The only one that sticks out me is Put Back, which was oddly left out of OS X, but present in the previous Mac OS. Most of the things in the videos have been around in all the OSes for decades in some form, this is just a more efficient and simpler alternative in many ways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So it shows off a pretty interface. The main point of Snow Leopard was to offer better optimization for Intel Macs. That is what people want to see. Since it is only a developer build, it is not yet fully optimized in itself.

The interface is still Leopard at this point. A few extra controls and UI functions, but nothing special. The good stuff is pretty hard to put into a video. I could put up my benchmarking stats between Leopard and Snow Leopard, but I don't think it would make for a good YouTube video.

BTW, LeopardOctober is using an older version of SL. The current beta, 10a354, has added and refined many of the features shown, is much more stable and faster the the build he is using. Except for a few odd issues, the lack of a 64-bit kernel for any of the IGPs and a couple services still running in 32-bit mode, and lack of the new UI that to jazz it up, it's pretty complete.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If only people who post stuff like this could still be publicly horsewhipped.

I guess this guy really needed to be taught something about right and wrong as a child though and it's probably far too late now.

There's no huge reason to....

EDIT: Please don't post Torrent links.

Thank you.