iPhone rival Palm Pre to sell for $199 after rebate on June 6th

Comments

• Reply 81 of 429
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Indeed - it looks like the result of eating too much candy...

Maybe the designers sat around snorting lines of pixie sticks when coming up for ideas
  • Reply 82 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I love the way fanboyz on here are bitching at the Pre's unveiling $299 costs with a $100 rebate.

How much was the iPhone when it originally was relea$ed?

$600!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 83 of 429
    kylemac09kylemac09 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

That's what I'm saying, when you go into the store to buy the phone you have to have 300 dollars in hand and not 200 dollars like some want you believe, screw a rebate, I'm more concerned about how much I'll play in the store instead of a rebate.

For the last time. GO TO BEST BUY. THEY DON'T DO MAIL IN REBATES!
  • Reply 84 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kylemac09 View Post

Try some more arguements.

Not sure why you are getting so defensive, as those were objective concerns.

I have watched all the Pre videos and haven't seen an instance of multi-touch yet. Running old Palm apps in emulation isn't exactly a plus since most of those are terrible.

I have no doubt that new apps will be released but a) they are competing with an established iPhone App Store and b) I don't see nearly the developer traction that the iPhone has. Not saying they won't get it, but it seems like a seriously murky area.

Also as someone pointed out the webOS doesn't appear to pack quite the punch as the iPhone for a lot of things like games.

As I said, the Pre looks promising to me but until I get a chance to handle it and see how those issues are resolved I am not going to get too excited.
  • Reply 85 of 429
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

personally i wouldn't buy it for at least 2 years or until they sell a million units, whichever comes first

if this isn't a hit and palm goes under, you will be paying a lot of money every month for what is essentially a worthless phone

First sane bit of advice in this thread!
  • Reply 86 of 429
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

And Apple copied a lot of copies too...

the Pre is fat yes... But it has two inputs... TOUCH or KEYBOARD.

Oh so it also has an on screen keyboard?
  • Reply 87 of 429
    Quote:

Why deal with mail in rebates? Best Buy doesn't do mail in rebates! They are sooo much better than the Sprint stoes and their people are not rude!

I am curious how this works. So what, if product X offers a rebate, Best Buy simply pays you it up front?

If so, my guess is that this won't be coming to Best Buy any time soon, unless they have an air-tight deal worked out with Sprint. I know that I, for one, would not be terribly interested in paying out more than my profits in an up-front rebate and then waiting for a 3rd party to pay be back some time in the future. I like the cash in MY bank account, thank you.

Maury
  • Reply 88 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Texting!

Video!

Better plastic!

Does the Pre record video?
  • Reply 89 of 429
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Six months before the release of iPhone 1.0 (Macworld 2007), journalists had their hands on prototype iPhone to try out, and to write reviews about.

So, now we are 1 months before the Pre release. Has anyone outside Palm tried Pre?
  • Reply 90 of 429
    Quote:

Does any $299 phone not?
  • Reply 91 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Six months before the release of iPhone 1.0 (Macworld 2007), journalists had their hands on prototype iPhone to try out, and to write reviews about.

So, now we are 1 months before the Pre release. Has anyone outside Palm tried Pre?

Good question.
  • Reply 92 of 429
    Quote:

[*]Screen appears to be plastic not glass. Sounds like a it would be easy to scratch.[*]No landscape mode.[*]Lack of multi-touch?(pinch/zoom/etc)[*]No App Store. The App Store extends the iPhone to an extent that would be hard to

It does do the multi touch. A couple designers of the iPhone helped design this phone. Remember the lawsuits that Apple was threating about the touch??? Also, their will be an app store. The 35,000 palm apps that already exist will work on the Pre, plus it was released to developers to design apps. Do you thing they wouldn't compeat? Try some more arguements.

So now we have to depend on legacy Palm apps for our apps when we get the phone, lol.
  • Reply 93 of 429
    Quote:

Does any $299 phone not?

Well the Pre doesn't.
  • Reply 94 of 429
    Quote:

I love the way fanboyz on here are bitching at the Pre's unveiling $299 costs with a $100 rebate.

How much was the iPhone when it originally was relea$ed?

$600!!!!!!!!!

This is a good point, but you have to remember, when the iphone came out, there wasn't anything like it really. The pre has to be competitive.

And to everyone who's bringing up the existence of the app store as a reason not to get a pre, just answer me one thing: What if Apple decided that they were going to give up because they had to compete with the popularity of Windows? Apple once was (and still is in some regards) the underdog that fought past the naysayers. Why wouldn't you relate to Palm in the same regard?
  • Reply 95 of 429
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Let's just hope this has an impact on iPhone rate tariffs. Life cycle cost of the Pre looks much better. Not a big fan of the added girth, but I hate typing on my iPhone for anything more than a few lines...
  • Reply 96 of 429
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Oh so it also has an on screen keyboard?

No, Pre does not have soft keyboard.
  • Reply 97 of 429
    Quote:

Well the Pre doesn't.

Well then it has 2 years to get it.
  • Reply 98 of 429
    Quote:

Well the Pre doesn't.

not right away...

Palm said the Pre will not have video recording capability when it first launches, but it is something they are looking into for future updates.
  • Reply 99 of 429
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

I beg to differ. Any review of iPhone or any product for that matter show both pros and cons.

Always - ALWAYS -in the con column is "NO REPLACEABLE BATTERY".

I live in NYC where everybody uses their phones 24/7 and I don't know a single person who carries around a spare battery. I also travel extensively and have yet to meet anyone anywhere who carries around a spare battery.

Where do these people live?! Do they really exist?!
  • Reply 100 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And what will June bring? A evolutionary new iPhone model? No. Groundbreaking features not found anywhere else? No. It is bringing features that have been around other free phones for awhile, and will still lack a few things that other phones have. The only thing new this June is an OS upgrade and minor enhancements. Faster processor speeds and standard storage capacity upgrades are hardly anything major.

No background apps? Check.

No removable battery? Check.

A phone behind the times feature wise in less than a handful of areas? Check.

A phone getting features that have been around for years on other phones? Check.

Yeah, the iPhone is the best phone out there for many, but not everyone. All phones can co-exist. It's just the way it is. I would get a Pre in a flash if I wasn't so vested in the Apple ecosystem.

And what feature is this Pre bringing that haven't been out in phones for years, name one feature?