Wal-Mart's new Apple section seen as precursor to Mac sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotkirby View Post

I'm an AT&T employee, and this just suprizes me due to the fact that Wal-Marts iPhone sales are just not cutting it, says our region director.

Plus, are you really gonna buy a mac from somewhere that really has no idea about them?

How is that any different from buying a Mac mini from Best Buy or even in some cases an actual Apple Store???

Also being an AT&T employee you should be very understanding of the lack of knowledge that causes a vacuum in the space/time continuum when you talk to an AT&T sales floor rep about ANYTHING.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    t0xt0x Posts: 6member
    Does it really matter where Apple sells its hardware?

Millions of people shop at Wal-Marts across the country everyday, and not all of those people are white trash living on welfare. Wal-Mart sells iPods like crazy. Maybe Apple's finally coming around and is willing to put trained salesmen in Wal-Marts like they have with Best Buy.

Let's face it, Wal-Mart is hardly any trashier than Best Buy. Best Buy is terrible and I laugh at anyone trying to claim Best Buy is a better retailer than Wal-Mart.
  • Reply 23 of 167
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    If Apple is finally willing to compete on price, they'll be able to move a ton of computers through Wally World.
  • Reply 24 of 167
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Netbooks are crap, they will die soon when people realize how garbage they are, already we are starting to see evidence of this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...ag=mncol;title
  • Reply 25 of 167
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Netbooks are crap, they will die soon when people realize how garbage they are, already we are starting to see evidence of this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...ag=mncol;title

Hey fanboy- people have been saying the same thing about Windows for 25 years and what's its market share?
  • Reply 26 of 167
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Apple please don't do this.

Amen to that, brother.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0x View Post

Does it really matter where Apple sells its hardware?

It really matters. I don't see Wal-Mart changing their approach to retailing to suit Apple, which means that if they went into Wal-Mart, Apple would be trying to sell Macs alongside stacks of HP computers in a box for $399, and nobody around to explain the difference. Not that anyone goes into a Wal-Mart expecting to be helped. They go in with the hopes of finding a bargain. Unless something changes massively in Wal-Mart's approach, this is not a good retail environment for Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 167
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

I truly hope this does not come to pass. No offense too the folks that shop at Wal-Mart, but this is not an image that Apple needs to be associated with. Target, maybe but Wal-Mart is no place for a computer that most people who shop there (and I stress most) can not afford. I believe in getting the best product(s) to all walks of life, but this is just the road Apple does not need to take with their computers.

S

Target is the exact same thing as Wal Mart, but the official color is red instead of blue. except you can get more organic food at Wal mart than Target. few years ago i was in Ohio with no Whole Foods anywhere. and i found the same juice they sell at Whole Foods at a Super Walmart
  • Reply 29 of 167
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey fanboy- people have been saying the same thing about Windows for 25 years and what's its market share?

What does the nonsense you wrote have to do with some netbooks having 30% return rate?
  • Reply 30 of 167
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotkirby View Post

I'm an AT&T employee, and this just suprizes me due to the fact that Wal-Marts iPhone sales are just not cutting it, says our region director.

Plus, are you really gonna buy a mac from somewhere that really has no idea about them?

EXACTLY.

Times are tough for the Mac maker and WalMart isn't the answer lol

Who is gonna buy a Mac from there?

I always think of WalMart as CHEAP!

The Apple image is going downhill....

Soon Macs will be available at your local Thrift stores lol
  • Reply 31 of 167
    shoozzshoozz Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Soon as I saw the headline Wal-Mart may carry Apple computers, I was waiting for all the condescending comments about Wal-Mart and its customers. This is so arrogant, frustrating and unnecessary. As long as Apple?s quality remains high, it should not matter if their products are sold at Wal-Mart. Apple should not try to only cater to snobs, but gain as much market share as possible. I?ve been an Apple fan for years and feel this type of junior high discussion alienates a lot of potential new Apple customers.

I suspected there was an arrogant theme from many apple fans but this thread solidifies what my gut told me. I am an long time Apple fan and Mac user (since 1988) and a long time reader of "Insider" but this is my first post. I live almost 2 hours from the nearest Apple store and would welcome a closer outlet. It is also difficult to "evangelize" to newbies when they cannot see or touch a Mac product. There are many people that are frustrated with the PC experience that the Mac guy ads have accurately targeted but are reluctant to buy without seeing and touching a computer.

Will Wally world offer the right experience and outlet to reach many who otherwise feel obliged to stay in the PC world? Only time will tell. But if done properly Apple will definitely gain market-share. For the record I am not a fan of Walmart but there are many customers that shop there that can afford Mac products. Just my thoughts.
  • Reply 32 of 167
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Agreed! What difference does it make where you buy your Mac? If you buy an iMac from Wal-Mart does it make the iMac lesser than the same exact iMac purchased from an Apple Retail Store? This is very asinine thinking. Almost like we have a bunch of 10yr olds here posting.

the way wal mart works with brand name electronics is they sell slightly different models at lower prices than best buy. with a LCD TV it usually means a cheaper screen than the version sold at Best Buy or another store.

if you compare the same brand TV's at Wal Mart and other stores you'll see slight differences in the model number. it usually tells you the manufacturer of the screen
  • Reply 33 of 167
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Apple typically never just throws Mac in a store. They usually throw their own Apple trained employees in if they're going to sell Macs in a particular store. I doubt Wal-Mart would be any different.

I don't know what you're talking about. Best Buy is the same as it has always been about Apple products. I went in there recently to buy a DisplayPort adapter so I didn't have to wait for it to ship or drive to the Apple store and the guy who asked to help kind of sneered when I told him what I was looking for and said, 'The Apple stuff is over there'. Apple trained my ass. Just think, this guy was probably better for Apple sales than the old lady working the electronics department at Wal-Mart who had to call someone to figure out what a Wii fit was that I was looking for my mom. I mean, if she doesn't even know what a Wii Fit is - one of their best selling items that Christmas - how would she help ANYONE with purchasing ANYTHING technology related.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

So do you have proof of this mythical perception that most wal-mart customers are poor?

well over here on the west coast, the about 90% of the people i see in walmart are either crackheads or people that really have no business owening a computer because if their 13 children wont have food for months. i live in oregon and its really that bad here. so your interpretation of who shops at walmart in incorrect.

and second, the people who work in the electronics are complete idiots. i have tried getting help from them but it is useless. apple would have no other choice but to put their own employees in the store otherwise apple would fail. i personally think apple should keep what they are doing. putting macs in a wal-mart is a bad idea. and also, they would go through so many display computers it wouldn't be worth it. i have seen kids put the wii mote in their mouths and throw it around while the parents don't even pay attention. i would hate to see people abuse apple products like that.
  • Reply 35 of 167
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Has anyone seen an iPhone display at there local Wal-mart recently? Was an iPhone on it? Seems we have been here before, lest we forget the days when you could buy Macs at Circuit City/Computer City/CompUSA/etc.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Wal-Mart is about cheapness and leaning on suppliers until they give them the lowest price possible. Selling Macs simply doesn't make from Wal-Mart's perspective.
  • Reply 37 of 167
    Quote:

Seeing this cracks me up! It made me finally realize how much of a monopoly Apple wishes it could be. They are SOOOO great they cannot mingle with other computers they have to have their own "buffet" of computers seperated from all the others with is own special stuff hahahaha.

Ridiculous.

You?re not thinking this through. If Wal-Mart/Apple provides in-store experts to answer all questions about Apple products, the products have to be centralized. The experts would be giving demos, and need to respond to queries from those eyeing Apple products.

If this expansion materializes, my assumption is that Apple wishes to take advantage of the existing Wal-Mart network, without having to further expand its own, in a tenuous economy.

The earlier post about netbooks being junk has limited application here. After all, Apple doesn't make junk, unless you count MobileMe, with all its bugs and molasses file transfer rates to iDisks.
  • Reply 38 of 167
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:

So do you have proof of this mythical perception that most wal-mart customers are poor?

There is no "mythical perception". Walk into one and tell me you truly see the class of people that visit an Apple Store is the same. I'm not saying the people who shop at Wal-Mart could not afford a Macintosh; I said "most" could not afford one. Nor do I think less of them. You can go to Wal-Mar to purchase a Dell and walk out thinking you have done right in buying an affordable computer for basic needs but understand this, Wal-Mart has them image of cheap low priced items that I believe Apple should not associate themselves with in the computer area. There has to be a line in which is drawn as to what Apple needs to be see as. A corporation that has loyal customers that can be comforted in the fact that quality comes before quantity and that by selling their products in a place that can make the purchasing experience (an Apple Store for example) more enjoyable. Perhaps you would like dealing with a Wal-Mart employee who may or may not have a clue how to present a Mac? No thanks, I?m sticking with an Apple Store or Best Buy. I?m talking about the Apple image across the board and how is viewed by investors, current and hopefully future Apple consumers.

Also, please do not put words in my mouth in that I'm implying that only "poor people" shop at Wal-Mart. From time to time I purchase items there and yes, I?m financial sound thank you.
  • Reply 39 of 167
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in eight years. It truly is "redneck central", and not somewhere Apple computers need to be sold.

Gee, Mr. Mooney, why in heck would you care where someone else bought their Apple system?

You've missed some good pricing. Walmart is consistently the lowest priced retailer of just about EVERYTHING. That is the only reason to shop at Walmart. Macs won't be discounted, since they never are, so I wouldn't buy one there. I'd buy at Bestbuy for the 18 months interest free.

But you don't care, Mr. Mooney, (in my best Gayle Gordon voice) because "You're RICH!"
  • Reply 40 of 167
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Target is the exact same thing as Wal Mart, but the official color is red instead of blue. except you can get more organic food at Wal mart than Target. few years ago i was in Ohio with no Whole Foods anywhere. and i found the same juice they sell at Whole Foods at a Super Walmart

Perhaps it's location and maybe not...I'm in Oklahoma and Wal-Mart and Target are nowhere like each other here. You are right that they sell the much of the same items, but...it's how one walks into a Wal-Mart Supercenter and it just give ya the creeps! I'm no better than the next guy but it kills me that Apple would go in this direction. Man, what hornets nest I've busted open. Thanks for the educated reply. One can always learn from another!

Scott