I have proof Leopard destroys hard drives

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What's up with new people blithely dismissing long term members as "trolls"?

SpamSandwich has been posting on this forum for many years, he is not a goddamn "troll."

Ya'll need to chill.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I love SpamSandwich, I just had to throw in that Wayne's World reference!

So Spam that is unfortunate...have you tried this same operation with another version of OS X? I mean maybe it's the interface chipset or some other hardware or software variable. Anyhow good luck and let us know what you find...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What's up with new people blithely dismissing long term members as "trolls"?

SpamSandwich has been posting on this forum for many years, he is not a goddamn "troll."

Ya'll need to chill.

So what you are saying is that he is a long time troll, got ya.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

So what you are saying is that he is a long time troll, got ya.

Right. He's spent the last four years and close to 8,000 posts "trolling", in a manner that has escaped the attention of dozens of moderators and his fellow forum members.

It took you to come along, be here for a little while, and make that call.

I mean, doesn't that strike you as just a tad arrogant?
  • Reply 25 of 37
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right. He's spent the last four years and close to 8,000 posts "trolling", in a manner that has escaped the attention of dozens of moderators and his fellow forum members.

It took you to come along, be here for a little while, and make that call.

I mean, doesn't that strike you as just a tad arrogant?

At least somebody here agrees with me.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

At least somebody here agrees with me.

You mean the guy with 8 posts? Yeah, that makes the case.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I tried to help In a non-asshole-ish way.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I tried to help In a non-asshole-ish way.

Cookie for Outsider! That's the old AI spirit!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Which was funny ! Whole different breed of post from these young 'uns and their rudeness.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

So Spam that is unfortunate...have you tried this same operation with another version of OS X? I mean maybe it's the interface chipset or some other hardware or software variable. Anyhow good luck and let us know what you find...

Sorry for attacking you out of hand, Aquatic. I completely missed your Wayne's World reference. I found myself temporarily rendered apoplectic dealing with my hard drive crisis... I'll try to wait before responding next time if I find my blood boiling uncontrollably. BTW, Leopard crisis has now been averted (although it took a sum total of about 6 days to fix everything, including the purchase of 2 new hard drives). Gads.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sorry for attacking you out of hand, Aquatic. I completely missed your Wayne's World reference. I found myself temporarily rendered apoplectic dealing with my hard drive crisis... I'll try to wait before responding next time if I find my blood boiling uncontrollably. BTW, Leopard crisis has now been averted (although it took a sum total of about 6 days to fix everything, including the purchase of 2 new hard drives). Gads.

Well I feel the safest with Leopard. I am paranoid, man, about data loss. But with Time Machine and two hard drives I use with it I feel I am in good hands. So at least there is always that. Glad you got everything restored. Did you have a Time Machine backup? If so, how'd that go? I haven't had to use it yet to restore an entire drive, just a few files at a time.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Having nearly identical hard drive issues, on nearly identical computers ONLY after a Leopard install? Not exactly random chance.

Ok I got your answer and it's simple so cool down.

It's simply your Leopard install disk, it's either got a smudge on it or it's defective.

Wipe it clean with a little disk cleaner/alcohol to get the oil finger print off and try again!

Handle it by the edges!

If your install disk is a single install, using it on multiple machines, Apple might have snuck some kind of copy protection that writes back to the supposed write protected Leopard disk.

I've heard of something like this, a small portion of the disk can still be written too and once it's all filled up, you can't install anymore.

Most likely not the case, but something.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Having nearly identical hard drive issues, on nearly identical computers ONLY after a Leopard install? Not exactly random chance.

You know, I did a re-install off the restoration CD and interesting enough my mobile phones stopped working; restoration CD's destroy mobile phones! My CD drive stopped working and my cat died a week later! Apple computers kill cats!
  • Reply 34 of 37
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A thread claiming proof of ruined hard drives and the words "format" and "reformat" haven't even been mentioned?

It looks like the experience normally indicated by 8000-posts, has been temporarily trumped by the angst of losing a hard drive.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If your install disk is a single install, using it on multiple machines, Apple might have snuck some kind of copy protection that writes back to the supposed write protected Leopard disk.

I've heard of something like this, a small portion of the disk can still be written too and once it's all filled up, you can't install anymore.

What??? Thats crazy. Retail DVD's aren't like the kind you pick up in the store. The image is pressed into the data layer of the disk it doesn't use ink like the kind you use to burn a DVD.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    bindigokbindigok Posts: 10member
    Quote:

I have now installed Leopard on two PowerMac G5's in the same office, and both times the Leopard install has managed to permanently damage the hard drives. The first install wrecked the HD and I managed to recover nearly all data after purchasing and installing a replacement 500GB drive and copying over the old data. The second computer I completely backed up the pre-Leopard OSX data to an external drive, erased the original 160GB drive and installed Leopard. After the install, I transferred the external files onto the Leopard HD and the very same damage to the files (and apparently the HD) that was caused on the first machine was replicated on the second computer. I'm taking this complaint directly to Tim Cook. Leopard is a dangerously unstable install on anything other than a MacIntel, apparently. BEWARE!

I installed Leopard when it first came out on a PowerBook G4 and it was fine. Has been fine ever since, in fact I miss it. Now I have an Intel Mac, and I think Leopard ran better on my PB G4.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    so many doubters on this thread!

Leopard destroys hard drives

+

?

sure to result in data loss