Microsoft's ads doing damage to Apple: study

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Wish I could be a retard like Italianskid, but he beat me to it.
  • Reply 42 of 178
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmy01 View Post

You really have to be an ignorant low class idiot to be a Windows user/deliberate PC buyer.

Congratulations - you've just shown who the ignorant low class idiot really is.

I say again, congratulations.
  • Reply 43 of 178
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    What a stupid survey. Do they really think that only some ads have such an impact? What about the reality?

Apple hasn't really had some big new products in the last time and to be fair the rumored new iPhone and even Snow Leopard aren't really mind blowing (at least to me). Adding to this that they had some bad press about hardware issues with Nvidia and security on some hacker conferences.

Microsoft on the other side is working very hard to fix a lot of problems they had in the last few years. Vista is getting better receptions after people really using it, the Windows 7 beta was very successful with a lot of hype about it, the Xbox 360 is flying and even the worst products they have (IE and Windows Mobile) are getting really better with the newest versions. Not to mention Windows Live is now usable and very sleek. On top of that are some technologies people call "innovative" and "cool" like Photosynth.

And Microsoft may also benefit from PC hardware that gets better in quality and design. Manufacturers really have learned a lot from Apple in the last years (see Dell Adamo or Palm pre).

I think all this has an impact on how people see the brand. Not only 4 or 5 TV ads.
  • Reply 44 of 178
    Microsoft's ads doing damage to Apple, one study claims...

Hmm, is microsoft paying for this study just like they paid for the actors in the "Laptop Hunter" ads?
  • Reply 45 of 178
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

thats one of the most optomistic statements I've ever heard.

they spent, what? like 10 years on Vista, but don't worry windows 7 will be done in three and unquestionably better?

what, are they trying now, but didn't really care before?

yeah exactly, i'm running windows 7 right now, i am seriously not impressed. it's just what vista should have been at release, but microsoft couldn't have gone much longer without releasing something so i guess you could just consider vista a holdover and 7 the real product.

a few random things impress me, but nothing big. the only thing about it that impresses me is that it's so stable without being service pack 2.

oh wait. it is service pack 2. vista, vista SP1, and now windows 7. except you have to pay for it. the real problem is that microsoft went on the wrong track with longhorn and had to scrap the whole idea.
  • Reply 46 of 178
    davewritedavewrite Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Probably...

Just like Apple is trying very hard to get over the 10% marketshare in computers... Its taken how long? L>O>N>G!

You can't bring down the GIANT.

Now Microsoft will try with Windows 7. They listened to the customers and now the efforts are paying off.

Mac will have to be that much better iMO to remain at or above 8%

---

A decade ago Msft. market cap (roughly value of company in shares) was 600 billion, Apple about 15 billion, this morning Msft is 180 billion and Apple 113 billion.

Look at Msft shrink! And 113 to 180 doesn't exactly make Msft. a GIANT!, it's not even twice as big.

2008 revenues Msft 60 billion, Apple 32 billion

And Apple's gaining on revenues as well:

Last quarter Apr 09 Apple profit UP 15%, Msft DOWN 32%

Apple's cash reserves 29 billion, Msft 25 billion (Apple's got more cash!)

Msft cash down from about 60 billion a few years ago, Msft. burning cash to boost stock price and to fund operations otherwise the shrinkage will be even greater.

"Can't bring down the Giant" want to say that again?
  • Reply 47 of 178
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Probably...

Just like Apple is trying very hard to get over the 10% marketshare in computers... Its taken how long? L>O>N>G!

You can't bring down the GIANT.

Now Microsoft will try with Windows 7. They listened to the customers and now the efforts are paying off.

Mac will have to be that much better iMO to remain at or above 8%

"You can't bring down the giant."

Ever hear of Goliath?
  • Reply 48 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

---

A decade ago Msft. market cap (roughly value of company in shares) was 600 billion, Apple about 15 billion, this morning Msft is 180 billion and Apple 113 billion.

Look at Msft shrink! And 113 to 180 doesn't exactly make Msft. a GIANT!, it's not even twice as big.

The numbers say Msft is not much of a giant compared to Apple and shrinking fast.

You forgot the i's in m sf t.
  • Reply 49 of 178
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple is barely mentioned in their ads- WTF? Apple is causing their own bleeding , not Microsoft. Where's the Netbook, Tablet, Pad, WTFever? Where's Blu-ray? Where's matte? Where's firewire? Where's HDMI? Where's recession pricing?

GO Blame yourself Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

I've always thought Apple computers were more expensive, but it doesn't stop me from buying them.

And I always thought my BMW"s" were too'
  • Reply 51 of 178
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

No one is to blame but Apple...

For years Apple has poked at Microsoft. For years Microsoft stayed quiet.

It was only a matter of time before they upset the GIANT...

Now Microsoft is fighting back... I am surprised it took them this long...

Apple will have to come out with new Ads as the current ones will not work with Windows 7.

you have officially become my favourite troll!
  • Reply 52 of 178
    lunarmoonlunarmoon Posts: 29member
    Quote:

No one is to blame but Apple...

For years Apple has poked at Microsoft. For years Microsoft stayed quiet.

It was only a matter of time before they upset the GIANT...

Now Microsoft is fighting back... I am surprised it took them this long...

Apple will have to come out with new Ads as the current ones will not work with Windows 7.

I don't see any change in Windows 7 that would invalidade current Apple's ads. Windows continues to be crappy, sluggish, bloated, resource eater, viruses-spywares-adwares eco system, full of holes to exploit, full of inconsistensies and nonsense, full of crashes... and the list goes on and on... Windows 7 is just Vista on Diet and Vista is XP with lipsticks. The only thing that changes is the makeup and the market. The pig is always the same. The problem with makeup is that it just results when the girl is young. As windows gets old, the makeup just makes it appear like an old witch.
  • Reply 53 of 178
    I could care less if someone buys a Mac or Windows. Actually I'd prefer that a majority buy a Windows machine--ensuring the virus writers continue to focus on Windows.

What I want to know is how Apple can go from a 0 in perceived value some time around the beginning of February to almost a 70 some time in the first week of March? Doesn't that seem suspicious? It makes absolutely no sense. Additionally, Apple wasn't running any ads during that time. How can they claim that it is Microsoft's ads that effected their perceived value, but Apple's success at the beginning of March has no such corollary? The results seem too random to be credible.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    I'd like to point out that there was another post earlier today that claimed that Apple's April sales were better than expected and what expert predicted. All because of the desktop refresh.

Huh?
  • Reply 55 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Could you at least try to be a good troll? Apple isn't directly competing with Microsoft. They are competing with the likes of HP, Dell, Acer, etc and they all happen to use Windows (not due to its superiority, but due to a lack of other options as Apple doesn't license its OS out). Given the limited number of computer models Apple produces, they do quite well compared to HP or anyone else. Individual mac computers are always at or near the top in total #'s sold on a model by model basis.

Apple could increase market share by producing more computer models (for example, a traditional desktop) but the more models they produce, the less time they can spend on each model and build quality and the overall level of system wide integration would diminish. Personally, I am quite happy to pay more for a better computer (there is more to a computer than processor speed, ram and hard drive size), and if their market share stays low because they focus on making a few good PC's instead of a bunch of crap ones, I'm fine with that.

"There's more to a computer than processor, speed, ram and hard drive size".

Right - It's called software, I've said it before; Apple is 1st. a Software Co. who happens to make the hardware to run them!

And their damn good at both.
  • Reply 56 of 178
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

---

Msft cash down from about 60 billion a few years ago, Msft. burning cash to boost stock price and to fund operations otherwise the shrinkage will be even greater.

"Can't bring down the Giant" want to say that again?

Your excellent points above will make little difference to the (fairly recent) bunch of trolls/whiners on AI forums that thrive on people who feel compelled to respond to being needled.

These guys (they know who they are, and we know who they are) are never going to stop.

Best to ingore their vacuity...... (but I suppose it's easier said than done. The sad part is, they know it).
  • Reply 57 of 178
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

thats one of the most optomistic statements I've ever heard.

they spent, what? like 10 years on Vista, but don't worry windows 7 will be done in three and unquestionably better?

what, are they trying now, but didn't really care before?

It doesn't have to be unquestionably better; it only has to be percieved as unquestionably better. There's a huge difference there

Vista picked up (and still is dragging) bad reputation during it's launch and never got rid of it - even when initial issues were ironed. "Mojave Experiment" showed most people just have prejudice against Vista and that will not disappear no matter how good Vista has or will become - as long as it is Vista.

Still, Vista is good basis for new OS. It is reliable and very stable at this point of time, and performance is OK on decent hardware. If MS can make it a bit leaner, improve GUI (as Vista wasn't really much different from XP user interface wise) and, most important, get rid of bad publicity Vista has - they'll have very hot item in their hands.
  • Reply 58 of 178
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rg_spb View Post

It could also be the the economy sucks right now and more people are looking for something dirt cheap and don't mind getting lesser quality if the price is right. MS hasn't said that Apple makes bad or poorly made computers, just that they are more expensive, in some cases.

Exactly. And from that point of view, I feel MS ads are less offensive than Apple ads.

MS doesn't even say chosen PC notebooks are better than Macs presented in ads; all they say is - it is easier to find exactly what you are looking for in PC world, and that will cost you less than closest Mac. That Mac might be better machine overall, but if customer doesn't require those extras, it doesn't make much sense.

It wouldn't be hard to follow Apples tactics and use same tricks. MS could easily make 30-seconds ad with compilation of Mac's bouncing ball, kernel panic, freezing 4850 iMacs, distorted screens - you name it - and put a simple single line title: "Macs don't crash - YEAH, RIGHT". Air that ad enough times and Average Joe will start perceiving that Macs are not any more reliable than PCs.

But I'm happy MS is not going that way. I don't think such approach was fair play from Apple's side, so I wouldn't find it fair play from MS either.
  • Reply 59 of 178
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

italiankid... nice to see you on here again. Maybe it was me that just missed recent posts from you. I thought maybe Microshit had fired you from posting here.

As for the ads... since the first Seinfeld ad I've only heard (in person) one person ever say they liked any of Microsofts ads. In fact even a friend of mine who works for Microsoft in Minneapolis said it's a joke around the office how bad they are. Any small fluctuation in number year over year are merely that, fluctuations and nothing more. Any one with half a brain knows how much bs is in those M$ ads. Plus, they're just badly done. Still amazes me to this day how all the money in the world can't buy them any sense of style or originality.

Where I work the jokes are more on Apple & how those ads are handing their behind to them.

Don't count on the general TV viewing audience to know when they are being had.

I see something a little different in this trend though. Apple turned up the heat on the whole computing industry, & now as a result many pc manufacturers are actually being forced to revamp their strategies. I think a lot of the change we are seeing is more because the competition is catching back up. The key will be can they keep up, especially with so much expected from WWDC & Snow Leopard due to probably make release before Windows 7.
  • Reply 60 of 178
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Exactly. And from that point of view, I feel MS ads are less offensive than Apple ads.

MS doesn't even say chosen PC notebooks are better than Macs presented in ads; all they say is - it is easier to find exactly what you are looking for in PC world, and that will cost you less than closest Mac. That Mac might be better machine overall, but if customer doesn't require those extras, it doesn't make much sense.

It wouldn't be hard to follow Apples tactics and use same tricks. MS could easily make 30-seconds ad with compilation of Mac's bouncing ball, kernel panic, freezing 4850 iMacs, distorted screens - you name it - and put a simple single line title: "Macs don't crash - YEAH, RIGHT". Air that ad enough times and Average Joe will start perceiving that Macs are not any more reliable than PCs.

But I'm happy MS is not going that way. I don't think such approach was fair play from Apple's side, so I wouldn't find it fair play from MS either.

No, it's so much more respectable as a company to co-develop projects with people & then stab them in the back.

Apple's ads were poking fun at MS because Microsoft has earned it. They have stifled industry growth & turned the OS industry into a one solution market. Apple finally got some prowess & started hitting back in the most effective way they could, to poke fun at what has been frustrating so many about Windows for years.

Yes Macs do have issues, no OS is flawless. However, as someone who used PCs for many years & dabbled with Linux many times (out of frustration with Windows crashing) I have finally found my peace. My Macs run great, & not only that but in the 4 times I've moved from one Mac to another I have never had to reload from scratch!!!! Windows 7 is much improved over Vista, but it still carries many of the legacy designs that have long destined Windows to slowly corrupt overtime until a reload is inevitable.