Yahoo cans BlackBerry app to focus on iPhone, browser software

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well there you go. Another apostle of the Church of Teckstud. Thank you for representing everyone on what we should be using. It's nice to have someone telling the rest of humanity what we're doing wrong.

About 1/5 of the entire world of email accounts are Yahoo, but he and friends don’t use it so it much not exist… and all of my friends agree with me.

Since the 260 million Yahoo! Mail active email addresses are also Yahoo! Messenger accounts that would be the same, and since there are IM clients that are not tied directly to email accounts they would oviously have a smaller percentage… and all of my friends agree with me.

Only 3 messenger apps beat out Yahoo for the number of active users, and AIM is not one of them. I can’t find the chart that shows the by country or by region numbers for IM clients so I’ll have to go by memory: AIM dominates in the US, MSN dominates in most of the American countries, India and Europe (I think), with Yahoo! dominating in Japan and other Asian countries… and all of my friends agree with me.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

About 1/5 of the entire world of email accounts are Yahoo, but his he and friends don’t use it so it much not exist… and all of my friends agree with me.

Since the 260 million Yahoo! Mail addresses are also Yahoo! Messenger accounts that would be the same, and since there are IM clients that are not tied directly to email accounts they would oviously have a smaller percentage… and all of my friends agree with me.

Only 3 messenger apps beat out Yahoo for the number of active users, and AIM is not one of them. I can’t the chart by country or region so I’ll have to go by memory: AIM dominates in the US, MSN dominates in most of the American countries, India and Europe (I think), with Yahoo! dominating in Japan and other Asian countries… and all of my friends agree with me.

True story: About 9 years ago, when I first visited China I was shocked to see large graphics covering buses and billboards with Yahoo ads, especially since I had the impression that the "backwards" Chinese had virtually no access to the Internet. Boy, was that information ever wrong.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

True story: About 9 years ago, when I first visited China I was shocked to see large graphics covering buses and billboards with Yahoo ads, especially since I had the impression that the "backwards" Chinese had virtually no access to the Internet. Boy, was that information ever wrong.

You don?t allow private messages so I?ll have to jack the thread for a second. I saw this yesterday and thought of your sig.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What's the first- the Microsoft help desk?

• Reply 25 of 30
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

About 1/5 of the entire world of email accounts are Yahoo, but he and friends don?t use it so it much not exist? and all of my friends agree with me.

Well, except for the fact that first he has to have friends.....
  • Reply 26 of 30
    baysidebayside Posts: 19member
    [QUOTE=Constable Odo;1419003]...Sales of the iPhone aren't that large and they're basically restricted to one carrier in the U.S. currently... ...I wonder if this app can be used on the iPod Touch, also which would certainly increase the numbers.

I'm guessing the iPod Touch would be a big factor. We have two in our family and no iPhones, also some other families I know passed on the iPhone and bought Touches instead. Just my anecdotal observations.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm certainly happy that Yahoo has so much faith in the iPhone that it can stop development on other mobile platforms. It sure seems like it's taking a pretty big gamble unless Yahoo knows something the rest of us don't.

Why turn other platforms into an iPhone experience? Just let those people go and buy an iPhone.

They mentioned moving to web based apps for Blackberry, etc. I've read that because there are so many Blackberry models with different hardware configurations, programming for it can be more complex. Unfortunately, smartphones' web browsing experience is pretty dreadful compared to the iPhone and Safari. It would seem that Blackberries would benefit MORE for a specific app rather than relying on a sub-par bowser.

Apple's philosophy seems to be if an app runs on the current iPhone/touch OS, it will run on any iPhone or iPod touch. Pretty much any app will run on any device, except (obviously) for apps that specifically support the iPhone's camera of 3G capabilities.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

You don?t allow private messages so I?ll have to jack the thread for a second. I saw this yesterday and thought of your sig.

LMAO! I know, I saw him on The View and on another program where the host stormed off in anger (...what was it... MSNBC?). Gotta love Ventura. You must admit, he'd be one heck of a diversion/spoiler in the next election. Yes!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

They mentioned moving to web based apps for Blackberry, etc. I've read that because there are so many Blackberry models with different hardware configurations, programming for it can be more complex. Unfortunately, smartphones' web browsing experience is pretty dreadful compared to the iPhone and Safari. It would seem that Blackberries would benefit MORE for a specific app rather than relying on a sub-par bowser.

Apple's philosophy seems to be if an app runs on the current iPhone/touch OS, it will run on any iPhone or iPod touch. Pretty much any app will run on any device, except (obviously) for apps that specifically support the iPhone's camera of 3G capabilities.

RiM has adopted WebKit which, as you know, Safari uses, and that Palm has adopted for their WebOS browser so it can have localized apps with HTML5’s new DB features. I think this type of app will be much easier to write for as it’s mainly HTML, CSS and Javascript and it can easily be scaled to different sized screens with ease and without much coding bloat.

I would like Apple to adopt the DB functions that quickly adopted in their open-source WebKit for an alternative app-type for the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

LMAO! I know, I saw him on The View and on another program where the host stormed off in anger (...what was it... MSNBC?). Gotta love Ventura. You must admit, he'd be one heck of a diversion/spoiler in the next election. Yes!

He’s fun to listen to and one hell or an interesting person who has done all the coolest things that people, especially men, dream of, but there is no way he could be president in 2012. For starters, if Obama is doing okay, not even good, he’ll get re-elected, if Obama is dong exceptionally poorly it will be a Republican that will be able to take over, not a liberal Independent. That said I’ve read his three books and plan to read his fourth because he is intelligent and has been (off the top of my head) a SEAL, a biker with the Mongols, a mayor, governor, pro-wrestler, movie actor, co-invented gravity with Steven Hawking and has been married for 35 years. BTW, despite her ulta-conservative nature Hasslebeck is really hot.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

....despite her ulta-conservative nature Hasslebeck is really hot.

I guess so, but she gets huge points off for her point of view.