What Computer Would You Rather Have?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If you had only one computer, what computer would you rather have? And why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

If you had only one computer, what computer would you rather have? And why?

Could I run OS X on both?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bolinbolin Posts: 2member
    I'd like to be able to afford the Alienware ALX X58 and actually buy the Mac mini

...... oh i did already
  • Reply 3 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    A Mac is still a Mac, no matter which model. An Alienware computer is still a Windows PC, so it doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    That's quite the quandary, an inferior machine running a superior OS or a superior machine running an inferior OS.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I've already got a big desktop PC for gaming, next computer purchase (once I shake the bonds of unemployment) will be a Mac mini.

So.... that.

Though if I could only have one computer, I have to say, I'd want something in between.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Which would you rather have: a Porche 911 GT ($200K) or a Toyota Prius ($25K)?

What exactly is the point of your poll?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Which would you rather have: a Porche 911 GT ($200K) or a Toyota Prius ($25K)?

What exactly is the point of your poll?

I like YOUR poll better, of course I'd have to say the Pri - NO!! Porsche!!

Absolutely the Porsche....or I'd "settle" for a Gallardo for $198,000...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    OR an Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI Quattro for $181,000 - then I'd have some money leftover for gas...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Though if I could only have one computer, I have to say, I'd want something in between.

I agree unfortunately, you'd need a time machine to get it.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I agree unfortunately, you'd need a time machine to get it.

So the iMac and MacBook Pro are not options?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

So the iMac and MacBook Pro are not options?

Owning the iMac myself, the only way it could anymore be more disappointing is if it were running windows. Great low to middle end consumer machine as it was originally intended, but its strengths quickly become weaknesses when moved up market.

The Macbook Pro could be an option. Its cheaper than buying two machines, isn't much of a downgrade from the "desktops", and ironically is actually either to upgrade than said battery-less laptop a stick in and in a box. Its little big for those wanting portability though and you'll probably need an external display as well; last I checked display manufacturers weren't exactly lining up behind MIni-DP and the adapters still have some bugs to be worked out.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'll take the Alienware. I'm assuming I can sell it and buy a Mac Pro?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'll take the Alienware. I'm assuming I can sell it and buy a Mac Pro?

nope.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Owning the iMac myself, the only way it could anymore be more disappointing is if it were running windows. Great low to middle end consumer machine as it was originally intended, but its strengths quickly become weaknesses when moved up market.

The Macbook Pro could be an option. Its cheaper than buying two machines, isn't much of a downgrade from the "desktops", and ironically is actually either to upgrade than said battery-less laptop a stick in and in a box. Its little big for those wanting portability though and you'll probably need an external display as well; last I checked display manufacturers weren't exactly lining up behind MIni-DP and the adapters still have some bugs to be worked out.

I have a macbook pro and apple cinema display with DP and it is a thing of beauty. A few months ago there was some flicker and color change but that is gone now.

Obviously I would buy the mac mini. Then I would challenge any alienware computer in a productivity test with a time limit and smoke them.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    At $900 the ACD is quite an investment and a luxury few can afford. You're paying ~$300 extra for the LED backlight alone.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

At $900 the ACD is quite an investment and a luxury few can afford. You're paying ~$300 extra for the LED backlight alone.

Incorrect.

You are paying $300 extra for backlight and to have a fully-integrated docking station to your macbook. Not spending the extra money will afford you a good set of constant headaches for years to come.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

Incorrect.

You are paying $300 extra for backlight and to have a fully-integrated docking station to your macbook. Not spending the extra money will afford you a good set of constant headaches for years to come.

Are you kidding me? It's just a USB hub built into the monitor, and one less power brick. I'll deal with my $350 monitor and an extra power brick, if I have to.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Are you kidding me? It's just a USB hub built into the monitor, and one less power brick. I'll deal with my $350 monitor and an extra power brick, if I have to.

Integration of software, drivers, microfone, camera, multiple displays, etc. Do buy a dell monitor plus docking station for a year and then come tell me about it.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I picked the Mini, because I'll always choose OSX over the current iterations of Windows. Just my personal preference.

The poll though, is flawed ... If I could only have ONE computer, it would have to be portable. I love my iMacs, but for a single-computer life, I'd have to go with a MacBookPro. No amount of power (or OS) would make up for being tied to a desk. (Yes, I'd even go with Windows if that were the ONLY way to get a portable computer.)
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Incorrect.

Using the AC adaptor and a regular hub is going to cause major problems? I hope not because that would mean Apple really went south on the QC.

Quote:

Integration of software, drivers, microfone, camera, multiple displays, etc. Do buy a dell monitor plus docking station for a year and then come tell me about it.

I've been using third party USB and USB2.0 parts for ten. Guess what, they've always worked just fine and the universe hasn't imploded.