Apple shares of smartphone market jumps more than twofold

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple saw its share of global smartphone market more than double on a year-over-year basis during the first quarter of the year but still has much work to do before catching BlackBerry maker Research in Motion and market leader Nokia.

For the three-month period ending March, Apple's shipments of roughly 3.94 million iPhones garnered a 10.8% share of the worldwide smartphone market, according to data released Wednesday by market research firm Gartner. That was good enough for the Cupertino-based company to maintain its third-place ranking overall with twice the share of HTC, which shipped 1.96 million devices to register a 5.4% share.

Still, Apple trails arch rival Research in Motion (RIM), whose sales of more than 7.23 million BlackBerries helped it achieve nearly 20% market share, and leader Nokia, which sold almost 15 million handsets for a commanding 41.2% share of the market. Fujitsu ranked fifth overall in smartphone shipments, selling nearly 1.39 million devices for 3.8% share.

Gartner said that worldwide mobile phone sales totalled 269.1 million units during the quarter, a 8.6% decrease from the first quarter of 2008. However, the smartphone segment of the market fared much better, surpassing 36.4 million units, a 12.7% increase from the same period last year.

Smartphone sales also represented an increasing slice of the global handset market at 13.5%, up from 11% during the same quarter of 2008. Gartner attributed the growth to the positive performance of both RIM and Apple, which continue to demonstrate that attractive services and applications are instrumental to the success of the integrated devices.

"Much of the smartphone growth during the first quarter of 2009 was driven by touchscreen products, both in midtier and high-end devices," said analyst Roberta Cozza. "Touch for the sake of touch? was enough of a driver in the midtier space, but tighter integration with applications and services around music, mobile e-mail, and Internet browsing made the difference at the high end of the market."

Although Apple saw sales jump more than 100%, its 10.8% share of the market isn't the highest its achieved during its short tenure as a smartphone maker. The company actually registered a near 13% share of the market back in the third quarter of 2008, immediately following the launch of its second-generation iPhone.

For the current second quarter of 2009 ending June, Apple's likely to see its share of the market recede slightly as consumers start delaying their handset purchases in anticipation of third-generation iPhones that should arrive by summer. Therefore, a more accurate benchmark of the company's momentum in the mobile space may come during the third quarter of the year when sales of those new handsets can be weighed against figures from the 2008 iPhone 3G launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 148
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    I hope it would... Last year at the same time, the United States only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40+ countries and it only doubled is very BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there.

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.
  • Reply 2 of 148
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    How does Apple perform in arena of just touchscreen smartphones?

And, what about Samsung and LG -- one would have thought they'd figure somewhere up there in this list?
  • Reply 3 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I hope it would... Last year same time, the US only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40 more countries and it only doubled is BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

iPhone and the new iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year.

And market share matters how?
  • Reply 4 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How does Apple perform in arena of just touchscreen smartphones?

And, what about Samsung and LG -- on would have thought they'd figure somewhere up there in this list?

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.
  • Reply 5 of 148
    Quote:

Market Share talks... seems to be very important with every Mac site.
  • Reply 6 of 148
    Quote:

Market Share talks... seems to be very important with every Mac site.

Market share "talks?" What the heck does that mean?

Equally, my question is how the issue of market share matters to you (and not Mac sites), since you are the one making the claim that "...this is not good for Apple."
  • Reply 7 of 148
    Quote:

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

(i) I did not say anything about who invented what - that's pretty irrelevant to the questions I was asking; (ii) If they've sold 20 million each, how come their names didn't even figure in the rankings (or merit a mention)? Just curious.......
  • Reply 8 of 148
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.

Apparently well enough to give them the #3 spot...
  • Reply 9 of 148
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Considering that Apple only sells 1 type of iPhone this is pretty good IMO. If Apple were to sell 3 different iPhone models they're marketshare would be much higher. This is exactly what happened with the iPod when Apple expanded that lineup.
  • Reply 10 of 148
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

... The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass. ... The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there. ... Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed. ...

As usual, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

All sales have cycles like this, it's nothing new that sales generally drop off when the new model is imminent. The key in these things is the management of the supply chain which (in case you didn't know), Apple has won many awards for.

I think I will trust the sales figures coming out of Apple and the analysis of, you know ... the analysts, before I believe the word of some anonymous always-angry teenager who never has a good word to say about Apple and mostly posts illegible junk.

• Reply 11 of 148
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Quite right, it doesn't really matter. Rank matters even less, especially when it's in this artificial category called "smart phones." What are the other kind, dumb phones?

What does matter is sales growth, and Apple can continue to grow iPhone shipments by redefining the categories.
  • Reply 12 of 148
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Again, you don't know what you're talking about here. Touch-screen portables and phones have been around for many many years. LG wasn't even a company when the first touchscreen mobiles/phones were made.

Apple was the first multi-touch phone. Big difference.
  • Reply 13 of 148
    Quote:

(i) I did not say anything about who invented what - that's pretty irrelevant to the questions I was asking; (ii) If they've sold 20 million each, how come their names didn't even figure in the rankings (or merit a mention)? Just curious.......

you need to step outside of the box (outside Mac sites) to see what is going on with the rest of the world... There was an article about the success of touch phones with Samsung and LG on engadget and Gizmodo.
  • Reply 14 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Again, you don't know what you're talking about here. Touch-screen portables and phones have been around for many many years. LG wasn't even a company when the first touchscreen mobiles/phones were made.

Apple was the first multi-touch phone. Big difference.

I was just saying...

I believe Palm was the first lol hahaha
  • Reply 15 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Considering that Apple only sells 1 type of iPhone this is pretty good IMO. If Apple were to sell 3 different iPhone models they're marketshare would be much higher. This is exactly what happened with the iPod when Apple expanded that lineup.

It won't happen. Take a walk to an Apple store... They are always booked solid with exchanges for the iPhone 3G.

Can you imagine 3 models? Apple would need a bigger Genius bar just for exchanges. Or they would need to create a new space called... "iPhone Genius Bar" lol
  • Reply 16 of 148
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Please stop feeding the trolls. Geez, if you can't not swing at a post that consists of "Apple's share doubles...Apple is doomed"...

Frankly, it seems that Apple has positioned itself quite well in another high margin segment of an otherwise commodity market. Apple has no more desire to be Nokia than it does to be Dell or HP.
  • Reply 17 of 148
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    Makes sense. Whenever I'm out anywhere it seems that at least every other person with a phone in there hand has an iPhone. Even my less than technical friend bought one and a month later he had to buy one for his g/f.
  • Reply 18 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I hope it would... Last year at the same time, the United States only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40+ countries and it only doubled is very BAD news.

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed.

You read every bit of information in your odd, negative way.

Every phone dies down after some time after release. That's normal. IPhone sales stay higher than others for longer. You might notice that Apple broke the 10% number they said they wanted to reach in smartphone sales. That's pretty good.

You seem to be the only one who has this interpretation of the numbers.
  • Reply 19 of 148
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Ummm, hello. That applies to any phone!
  • Reply 20 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Please stop feeding the trolls. Geez, if you can't not swing at a post that consists of "Apple's share doubles...Apple is doomed"...

Frankly, it seems that Apple has positioned itself quite well in another high margin segment of an otherwise commodity market. Apple has no more desire to be Nokia than it does to be Dell or HP.

could have fooled me. they are trying to get into every market... sell tons of these phones and gain market share. You do this when you are trying to get BIG.