Apple still negotiating terms for third-gen iPhone with carriers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Well I'm in Canada, but it has similar problems to the US, although it isn't even possible to have more than one provider for the iphone. Everyone else is CDMA

Yup, I feel your pain. If Bell got the iPhone I'd be the first on the list to get one. I could make do with a Samsung Omnia, but I'd definitely prefer a phone with Apple's mobile OS instead of Windows mobile (which brings up the question - can you hack a phone the way people have been hacking netbooks?)
  • Reply 22 of 37
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

I think the reason being AT&T locks you onto their towers only.

Please explain and back up your explanation with undisputable proof. Very interesting indeed.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    it will be coming to verizon, a vodophone company
  • Reply 24 of 37
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

A twitter blast sounds like something from my ass. I don't think you can believe anything from TelecomNZ who very bizarrely a have a picture of Richard Hammond on their twitter page. Also they would be pretty dumb comment on going negotiations, particularly via twitter.

I think the Hammond inclusion on their Twitter page relates to a specific near term campaign by TelNZ that he seems to be endorsing on their behalf. I guess Twitter pages are supposed to be less structured and that is part of the appeal, not least for it's disarming effect on company announcements.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    I'm not sure if I'd switch from AT&T or not at this point. Granted, I've gotten less than stellar customer support, but here in Austin, their coverage is pretty good, and EDGE is actually pretty quick in many situations. Over in CA, that was a different story. However, I don't live there, so going through the process of transitioning just doesn't sound very appealing at this point in time.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Yup, I feel your pain. If Bell got the iPhone I'd be the first on the list to get one. I could make do with a Samsung Omnia, but I'd definitely prefer a phone with Apple's mobile OS instead of Windows mobile (which brings up the question - can you hack a phone the way people have been hacking netbooks?)

Not an expert, but I would suspect that it would be much more difficult as processor architecture varies wildly from phone to phone.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

I know a lot of people consider T-Mobile to be too small here, but I had switched to them for a time after getting tired of the AT&T/Cingular fiasco. I had great experience with coverage. I traveled all across the country and had better coverage than I had with AT&T. I think the reason being AT&T locks you onto their towers only. T-Mobile lets you roam freely on whatever local tower you can pick up. No roaming fees, so why should it concern me. Another positive of removing the excusive deal with AT&T would allow users to use another local GSM provider if AT&T was lacking coverage in their area. It would be great to a multiple platforms available so it worked on CDMA networks, but that would be costly. Allowing users to choose from existing GSM networks would be a great, cheap way to capture more market and provide customers what they really want. A choice of providers.

T-Mobile aka Deutsche Telekom treats us (U.S.) like Nokia did/does treat Apple - Stepchildren!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    "The Cupertino-based company...." I respectfully request a little more creativity when referring to Apple Co. This phrase is irritating and highly redundant. Show me an article where Apple are negotiating terms with carriers (multiple) in the US and maybe I'd be more excited. I really hope nobody is expecting any significant savings with the new contract pricing.

\
  • Reply 29 of 37
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Also, an "iPad" (larger iPod Touch) could use this non-smart phone to connect to the internet, perhaps? I don't want to pay for 2 separate subscriptions for iPad and Phone....

Hm, I kinda like that idea. An iPod touch device that can wirelessly tether to a phone for internet access when no wi-fi is available. That way it's all on a single subscription plan, and I can leave the touch at home when all I want is the phone.

I'll take one!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Please explain and back up your explanation with undisputable proof. Very interesting indeed.

Wow, "undisputable proof"? A pretty steep requirement for an internet message board, don't you think?

I'll provide some circumstantial evidence to support the claim that ATT phones don't roam on non-ATT networks. One of the many, many, many reasons I dumped ATT was that they no longer offered service in my home town unless you were on the side of town where they had some some service closer to the highway. When ATT (Cingular at the time) operated their TDMA network, they also offered service via roaming on the local provider's TDMA network since they didn't have towers in the area. And when you looked at their coverage map it was clearly marked where you were on their network vs when you were roaming on a partner's network. This continued as they began their transition to GSM.

During the transition, I had a phone that could operate on either TDMA or GSM networks. Then suddenly I had no service at my parent's house, which was farther from the highway. If they still had their roaming partners, my phone should have still worked. And now when you look at their coverage map there is no notion of roaming. It's either "AT&T National GSM Coverage" or "No Service". And when you look at their service plans, there is no mention of roaming (other than international). Contrast that with Tmobile's coverage map where they still clearly show where you are on their network vs where you are roaming.

Granted, ATT could just be showing the roaming partner networks as part of their network on the map; but I doubt their laywers would have allowed that. Any part of the map where coverage was dependant on a roaming partner would be clearly marked in order to be able to deny liability for inaccuracies or loss of coverage in those areas (this is, after all, America...we sue anyone at any chance we can get!).
  • Reply 30 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

Competition has not worked in France... The 2 new carriers are selling the iphone at the same price point as Orange

Collusion?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With just weeks to go before Apple is expected to take the wraps off its new family of touchscreen handsets

Proof? Links?

please stop stating rumours as apparent facts. but by golly if you HAVE facts, please link to them!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it comes to segmentation of models, however, management was firm in stating that the "iPhone will remain a software centric device," meaning customers shouldn't expect the company to differentiate its smartphone offerings with hardware features but rather software capabilities.

and yet this kind of implies that there WON'T be more than one model.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Collusion?

The French government is the most idiotic protectionist government around.

There are only 3 national carriers in France --- all French owned, zero foreign competitors operating in France. All 3 French carriers were fined for price fixing.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1201/france.html

Instead of creating idiotic simlocking laws (must provide unlocking code after 6 months) and forcing the end of iphone's exclusive contract --- the French government should just auction a fourth mobile license (to a foreign company).
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Collusion?

from Telcos? how could you even think such a thing?

Ofcom in the UK are said to be starting an investigation into what the telcos charge, which "should lead to lower prices" .. mm yeah, let me know when that happens.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

from Telcos? how could you even think such a thing?

Ofcom in the UK are said to be starting an investigation into what the telcos charge, which "should lead to lower prices" .. mm yeah, let me know when that happens.

UK has even better iphone data plans than the US --- the reason: 5 national carriers in UK vs. 4 national carriers in the US.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I think the Hammond inclusion on their Twitter page relates to a specific near term campaign by TelNZ that he seems to be endorsing on their behalf. I guess Twitter pages are supposed to be less structured and that is part of the appeal, not least for it's disarming effect on company announcements.

Yeah.... they (Telecom) have been plastering Hammonds face everywhere and flooding the ads on TV with the news that Hammond is using his experience test driving cool stuff on Top Gear (very popular show here) to test a exciting network called "XT." This makes one dribble in anticipation until you find out that it only 3g.. like Vodafone has had for years.. *yawn*. It would be great if you could get the iPhone on another network though, as Vodafone is a bit too comfortable now and are starting to act like a monopoly. I'm becoming less and less impressed with Vodafone all the time...
  • Reply 36 of 37
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    It's interesting to hear of the restrictions permeating in NZ, as well as France, the US and other countries in terms of pricing and/or carrying the iPhone.

In many ways, each of these contrivances can be worked around ie by using an unlocked iPhone, but it's stagerring that in 2009 such limitations still apply.

Generally speaking there is nothing so unique about the network underpinning any of the default providers that makes them more capable of hosting/selling the iPhone than their competitors. Any other implied limitations are an artificial, commercial contrivance by and large.

Locally, we've got four competitive providers who aside from the initial launch actively compete on iPhone deals. In addition, many, many iPhones are bought here at one dealer/network and are subsequently used on other networks as better uncontracted call/data pricing options come up.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    imgmkrimgmkr Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Isn't S. Korea largely CDMA? Isn't that the issue?

It's been a year that Korean carrier launched 3G service along with CDMA. Foreigners roam with

iPhones in Seoul, no problemo~ There's a rampant rumors when iPhone would get to Korea

but now like we don't care anymore, it'll come when it will come. I'd have higher hope for the

upcoming Mac iPad, aka media nanobook. I'll move outta this country if I have to~