Japan's Asahi Kasei to supply magnetometer for next-gen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will tap Japan's Asahi Kasei to provide hardware support for the "magnetometer" -- or digital compass -- that's slated to make its debut in the company's next-generation iPhone handset, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with betas of the iPhone 3.0 software developers kit recently dug up several header files attributed to the Japanese manufacturer in a directory appropriately labeled "compass." More specifically, the files identify Asahi Kasei's azimuth sensor No. AK8973, a 16-pin leadless IC package measuring 4mm square and 0.7mm thick, as the chip that will help future iPhone users determine their direction. It bundles a master clock oscillator.

Asahi Kasei specializes in chemical and material sciences in a number of fields including electronics, and is known to have been one of Apple's component suppliers for the iPod touch dating back to the first-generation model. It's unclear exactly what parts the company supplies for the handheld, though liquid submersion indicators (LSIs) are one of its specialties.

Over the past couple of years, Apple has inserted LSIs across most of its portable products in an effort to help its technicians determine whether customers reporting faulty hardware are actually responsible for the damage themselves by allowing liquids to penetrate their devices, something that's not covered under the Cupertino-based company's standard warranties.

A diagram and enlarged photo of the azimuth sensor taken from Asahi Kasei's website can be seen below, and header files included with betas of the latest iPhone SDK suggest the part may be nearly two years old. They're dated July 19th, 2007, just days after Apple brought its first-ever iPhone to market.

The addition of a magnetometer to the iPhone is expected to open the door to some exciting new functionalities, a handful of which have already made their way to T-Mobile’s Andriod-based G1 handset, which has long shipped with a digital compass. For instance, users may be able to simply point their next-generation iPhones at an object or landmark and have an application combine GPS, accelerometer, and compass information to pinpoint what that object or landmark is. Gaming applications that interact with a user's surrounding real-time environment would be another possibility.

With the current generation of iPhone hardware, applications can locate the user (GPS) and determine the tilt of the phone (tilt sensor) but not the direction the phone faces (compass). An example of the problem this presents is that a user could turn in place holding the phone in the same orientation and the phone would not register a difference.

A magnetometer is just one of three new hardware advances confirmed through multiple discoveries to be making its way to Apple's next-gen handsets, with a video-capable camera and 802.11n low-power mode -- both of which were first reported by AppleInsider -- being the others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Sounds great for military purposes but why would I need this exactly? Adding to gaming (toy) functionality I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    slashtslasht Posts: 2member
    Oh... I could have told you this over a week ago.

http://twitter.com/slasht/status/1759914454

Asahi Kasei's got other code in the SDK that's been there forever that has to do with audio: S/PDIF, AC'97-like codecs and digital audio interfaces. I'd assume the chips they provide are related to that.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slasht View Post

I could have told you this over a week ago...

http://twitter.com/slasht/status/1759914454

Well, ya didn't, and someone else did

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 57
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... already made their way to T-Mobile’s Andriod-based G1 handset, which has long shipped with a digital compass. ...

"long shipped"? Really?

Why not go whole hog and say that "every single version of the G1 has always shipped" with a digital compass?

Seriously though, isn't a bit hyperbolic to refer to a device less than a year old as doing anything for "long"? It makes it sound like Apple is just now catching up to something that it's competitors have had for ages, when the truth is not even close to that. I've had lots of phones and dozens of PDAs over the years and not a single one of them ever had a compass inside.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    slashtslasht Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Well, ya didn't, and someone else did

Not only that but I didn't really have much of an audience anyway. Really, though, I'm pretty excited for this chip. It'll essentially complete the iPhone's geospatial detection portfolio; GPS and an accelerometer are already included. I think that opens up a lot of potential for app developers.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Very neat. We'll be able to be given directions through a building like in the Matrix.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sounds great for military purposes but why would I need this exactly? Adding to gaming (toy) functionality I guess.

Oddly, the military is using iPhones for translation. Maybe that's the Touch and I misremeber.

In any case, it's not a toy function if you want to know which way is north and have improved navigation capabilities in the phone. GPS alone isn't enough to determine direction if there is no (or slow/erratic) motion.

Of course, this is just you turning something positive into a negatives for attention.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slasht View Post

Not only that but I didn't really have much of an audience anyway. Really, though, I'm pretty excited for this chip. It'll essentially complete the iPhone's geospatial detection portfolio; GPS and an accelerometer are already included. I think that opens up a lot of potential for app developers.

Are the accelerometers good enough to build a INS?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    Would be nice if the map could turn the direction you are facing so when you are heading south you don't have to turn the phone upside down
  • Reply 10 of 57
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post

Would be nice if the map could turn the direction you are facing so when you are heading south you don't have to turn the phone upside down

i agree! there have been times when i had gotten myself lost because i forgot which way i was facing.

...i should have pulled over at a gas station to ask for directions like my wife said
  • Reply 11 of 57
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    a bit late for having final product in Jun?

Not that I can figure out easily, what's that damn magnetometer for...
  • Reply 12 of 57
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

To know which way you are going (or pointing), even when you are standing still. Suppose you are stargazing, this could help you face the right direction. Current GPS apps require that you move at a minimal speed in a direction to calculate your direction. For the app I use, the minimum speed is a bit of an uncomfortably fast walk. It's ok for jogging or biking but almost useless for walking.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    The possibilities this allows are very exciting. I can't wait to see what developers and hopefully Apple/Google come up with!
  • Reply 14 of 57
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    fine article and everything, but is anybody else getting tired of apple being referenced as the "cupertino-based company"?? I mean, i completely understand that's common in journalism when referencing a company, but i mean, it's in practically EVERY story on this site.... lol, just one of my growing pet peeves. Oh well. I mean, AppleInsider is great and all, but it's not what i'd consider "mainstream media." A little informality wouldn't hurt every now and then. Everyone on this site knows where Apple is based.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

"long shipped"? Really?

Why not go whole hog and say that "every single version of the G1 has always shipped" with a digital compass?

lol, that goes right along with my pet peeve about referencing apple as "the cupertino-based company." I LOVE this site and check it many times a day, but it appears they strive to be mainstream journalists when i don't know that they are...idk, the stories are fine, but sometimes they are bit more "polished" than they need to be.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I'm wondering how they can cram all of these chips in there in such a tiny space. When I looked at the iFixIt teardown of the iPhone 3G, the silicion board looked pretty full already. And with other rumors of FM-something (they never make it clear on FM receiving or transmitting, though the latter is just silly), board space is really at a premium.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm wondering how they can cram all of these chips in there in such a tiny space. When I looked at the iFixIt teardown of the iPhone 3G, the silicion board looked pretty full already. And with other rumors of FM-something (they never make it clear on FM receiving or transmitting, though the latter is just silly), board space is really at a premium.

i'd bet money there will never be an FM receiver/transmitter. Syncing with your car will be via Bluetooth. Plus i'm sure somebody will make an attachable FM receiver for those who really want that feature. That's the beauty of opening up the connector port for third-party attachments - the possibilities are endless.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

i'd bet money there will never be an FM receiver/transmitter. Syncing with your car will be via Bluetooth. Plus i'm sure somebody will make an attachable FM receiver for those who really want that feature. That's the beauty of opening up the connector port for third-party attachments - the possibilities are endless.

It would be nice if Apple added support for the iPod Remote they already have. In fact, it's likely the reason why it doesn't have support for the iPhone/iPod Touch is because they didn't have any frameworks to talk to the 30-pin Dock Connector. No iPhone app, official or not, has used to the Dock connector for anything more than transmitting sound from whatever is playing to some external source.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I can't wait until "Faces" functionality (as used in iPhoto) is opened up for iPhone developers ... imagine combining that with the built in camera. You could scan a crowd of people and instantly determine if one of "America's Most Wanted" is nearby .... (shudder) ....
  • Reply 20 of 57
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Great, sounds useless for everyday use and barely useful once a year. I hope you can turn it off like the GPS chip, with GPS and WIFI enabled battery life is not so good.